Selecting a report
Author Message
 Selecting a report

I want to give the user the option to select different styles of packing
slips. So I want my report to pop up a question before the report is printed
and ask which version of the report to print.

Based on the answer to this question I figure I have two options.

1. I could store the answer in some variable and then use formulas to
hide/unhide various fields so that different versions of the report are
printed. This option is good if there are only minor differences between the
reports.

2. I could open up one of two different actual reports. This option is good
if the reports are radically different.

Because I'm going to have to do this quite a bit I would love to know how to
do each of these things. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

James

Thu, 06 May 2004 11:17:52 GMT
 Selecting a report
Depends on how many changes you expect in the future.
If only two variations, then one report with lots of conditionals, makes
maintenance easier, but if more variations appear, then seperate reports is
more sense.

From my experience, more report change requests always appear, so seperate
reports is an expandable strategy and the one I'd recommend.

Quote:
> I want to give the user the option to select different styles of packing
> slips. So I want my report to pop up a question before the report is
printed
> and ask which version of the report to print.

> Based on the answer to this question I figure I have two options.

> 1. I could store the answer in some variable and then use formulas to
> hide/unhide various fields so that different versions of the report are
> printed. This option is good if there are only minor differences between
the
> reports.

> 2. I could open up one of two different actual reports. This option is
good
> if the reports are radically different.

> Because I'm going to have to do this quite a bit I would love to know how
> do each of these things. Can anyone help me?

> Thanks!

> James

Fri, 07 May 2004 03:45:39 GMT
 Selecting a report
If I ever do want to go the route of using different reports, how can I get
CR to launch different ones depending upon the response to a parameter
query?

James

Quote:
> Depends on how many changes you expect in the future.
> If only two variations, then one report with lots of conditionals, makes
> maintenance easier, but if more variations appear, then seperate reports
is
> more sense.

> From my experience, more report change requests always appear, so seperate
> reports is an expandable strategy and the one I'd recommend.

> > I want to give the user the option to select different styles of packing
> > slips. So I want my report to pop up a question before the report is
> printed
> > and ask which version of the report to print.

> > Based on the answer to this question I figure I have two options.

> > 1. I could store the answer in some variable and then use formulas to
> > hide/unhide various fields so that different versions of the report are
> > printed. This option is good if there are only minor differences between
> the
> > reports.

> > 2. I could open up one of two different actual reports. This option is
> good
> > if the reports are radically different.

> > Because I'm going to have to do this quite a bit I would love to know
how
> > do each of these things. Can anyone help me?

> > Thanks!

> > James

Fri, 07 May 2004 14:49:56 GMT

1. Selecting a report to preview based on controls in a form

2. Using forms to select a report from multiple base queries

3. Selecting a report from VB5 app using Crystal Report-DesignerComponent?

4. Selecting a report from VB5 app using Crystal Report-DesignerComponent?

5. Selecting a report from VB5 app using Crystal Report-DesignerComponent?

6. Crystal Reports/SQL 2000 - Reporting from a Stored Procedure with multiple selects (for a sub-report)

7. Crystal Reports/SQL 2000 - Reporting from a Stored Procedure with multiple selects (for a sub-report)

8. Cetting A Report To Select Records Based Upon A Value Selected In A Combo Box

9. Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

10. Code for a Select in a Report′s Module

11. Module fror selecting data in Report

12. Q: Printing report on non-default printer w/o user selecting printer