RDC problem w/ DSN and password from VB
Author Message
 RDC problem w/ DSN and password from VB

Just wondering if anyone is familar with this problem.  I'm using the
Crystal 8.5 RDC to handle reporting from predesigned RPT files in VB.
I'm connecting to Oracle 8i from VB via a system DSN.  Here are the
two problems I'm running into.

1.  No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the RPT to connect to a
different DSN (or database inside a single schema for that matter).
I've tried the SetLogonInfo, SetTableLocation, SetDataSource methods
of the RDC object but no success to this point.  The only thing I've
been able to do is through the SetTableLocaton method I can repoint
the report to a different tablespace in a single schema (i.e. mine vs.
production).  I still can't redirect to a different schema (i.e.
different instance/database in tnsnames).

2.  The RDC seems to ignore the need to use a user/password
combination to get into the database for the report to run.  I can
leave them out, code dummy values in, whatever...no password or userid
is necessary to get the report to run, which is disturbing.

Any ideas ? ? ?

Thanks,
Chris

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:06:51 GMT
 RDC problem w/ DSN and password from VB
Wondering if anyone has any insight on these problems.  I'm using the
Crystal 8.5 RDC in VB to open RPT report files and I'm having some
strange problems when connecting and opening the report.

1.  All login information using the '.SetLogonInfo' method is being
ignored.  Regardless of whether or not I pass information, the report
will open.  I definitely want it to accept userid and password
information before it allows the user to open the report.

2.  I need to be able to change the DSN dynamically in code.  This
isn't working either, regardless of how I pass information.  I'm
connecting to Oracle 8i through a system DSN.  I have two DSNs defined
(test and prod) on my system and need to be able to switch between
them from VB.  I've tried all of the following .SetLogonInfo,
.SetDataSource, and .SetTableLocation.  The only one that produces any
results is the .SetTableLocation which allows me to repoint the report
to a different tablespace within the same database.  What I need to do
though is point it to a different DSN.  In my case, the other DSN
points to another schema in my tnsnames.

Any thoughts ? ? ?

Thanks,
Chris

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:21:58 GMT

1. Crystal and ODBC DSN/DSN-less connections - do I need USER DSN or SYSTEM DSN

2. DSN'less and RDC

3. How to change Crystal Report 8 rpt dsn using RDC in asp page

4. which Dsn(Data Source Name) is Faster System DSN Or File DSN

5. Problem with SQL Server, VB 5.0 using a Grid and RDC

6. reading username/password form file DSN

7. password connection without DSN for jet/MSAccess 2000

8. password connection without DSN for jet/MSAccess 2000

9. FILE DSN DOES NOT SAVE PASSWORD

10. More than 1 password in DSN connection

11. FILE DSN DOES NOT SAVE PASSWORD

12. CR RDC-6 vs RDC-8