Slow Reports... How do I speed them up?
Author Message
 Slow Reports... How do I speed them up?

Hello,

I am using VB5, and Crystal Reports Version 5.0 Build 5.0.108

I have a database with over 10,000 records. A simple report with no
formula's, takes forever to generate. All records are read fairly fast, but
waiting for over 100 pages to be formatted takes just too long. I realize
that after the entire report is generated, scrolling from page to page is
fast, but waiting for this to happen (with no vbhourglass) makes the end
user think something is wrong.

I have turned off the "Save Data with Report" because I want the data
refreshed each time the report is generated.

Here is my question:

Is there a way to display one page, then spin the hard drive for page 2,
and on and on.....?

I used to program in Clipper, and this was a nice feature. Each page was
displayed, then the hard drive would spin for each page thereafter.

--
Regards...

Jim Osdale
A-2 Technologies

Thu, 29 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Reports... How do I speed them up?

It sounds as if you have the special field "Total Page Count" turned on in
your report. If you turn this off, then you should get the behavior that
you want.

Quote:
> Hello,

> I am using VB5, and Crystal Reports Version 5.0 Build 5.0.108

> I have a database with over 10,000 records. A simple report with no
> formula's, takes forever to generate. All records are read fairly fast,
but
> waiting for over 100 pages to be formatted takes just too long. I realize
> that after the entire report is generated, scrolling from page to page is
> fast, but waiting for this to happen (with no vbhourglass) makes the end
> user think something is wrong.

> I have turned off the "Save Data with Report" because I want the data
> refreshed each time the report is generated.

> Here is my question:

> Is there a way to display one page, then spin the hard drive for page 2,
> and on and on.....?

> I used to program in Clipper, and this was a nice feature. Each page was
> displayed, then the hard drive would spin for each page thereafter.

> --
> Regards...

> Jim Osdale
> A-2 Technologies

Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Reports... How do I speed them up?

Hi Jim,

Nope.  The older versions of Crystal did this but Crystal 5 and 6
don't.  It has to do with how Crystal handles things like the
LastPageNumber function and a few other things.  It calculates the page
number and some other stuff.
The bad news is it generates the pages on demand instead of all at
once.  Once Crystal has enough to create the first page, it stops until
you scroll to the next one or to the last page.
--
Sincerely,
Brian Dong

To reply, remove nospam from the address.

Sat, 01 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. My Code Speed slowed down?

2. Contact Search Speed - To damn slow

3. Slow download speed with VB.net socket class

4. Slowing Down PC Speed - any demand for it ?

5. ReDim too SLOW----------I needz speed!

6. Do excessive line continuation characters slow execution speed?

7. VB4 is slow accessing MS Access 2 backend, how do I speed it up

8. VB5 Speed Claims - NO WAY - Numerics 8-12% Slower than VB4

9. Window Focus slows App Speed

10. printing speed in Dot Matrix printer vary slow

11. CR8 Slow Search Speed

12. Extremely slow speed on W2000/JET 4.0