Having trouble accessing single field key with two concatenated fields
Author Message
 Having trouble accessing single field key with two concatenated fields

I am trying to use two fields, concatenated together, to read a record
from another table whose key is a single field. In other words, table A
contains two fields, customer and part. These two fields, when
concatenated, form the key for table B, item_number.

When I use the Visual Linkging Expert from CR Designer and link both
fields in table A to the single field in table B, I get a warning
indicating that table B may not be read, because the fields are of
different length. The result is that table B does not get read.

Has anyone had this type of situation and been able to resolve it? My
last resort is to change the structure of table A, which I don't want
to do.

Thanks,

Joel

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 15 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Having trouble accessing single field key with two concatenated fields
Joel,
manually correct SQL query in Crystal so that
it would read like
where
B.item_number = CONCAT(A. customer , A.part)
or do not link tables at all and use above statement
in select expert as formula.

Regards,
Vadim.

Quote:

>I am trying to use two fields, concatenated together, to read a record
>from another table whose key is a single field. In other words, table A
>contains two fields, customer and part. These two fields, when
>concatenated, form the key for table B, item_number.

>When I use the Visual Linkging Expert from CR Designer and link both
>fields in table A to the single field in table B, I get a warning
>indicating that table B may not be read, because the fields are of
>different length. The result is that table B does not get read.

>Has anyone had this type of situation and been able to resolve it? My
>last resort is to change the structure of table A, which I don't want
>to do.

>Thanks,

>Joel

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Mon, 17 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Trouble concatenating multiple rows from one field

2. Concatenate two fields to one usable variable

3. Problem Opening Recordset with two fields concatenated As

4. Concatenating Two Fields in a label

5. Concatenating two fields in a label

6. DataReport: Concatenating Two Fields

7. Having trouble getting the Alias (Account) field data from a global address

8. Help: having trouble with IF statements and calculated fields

9. Concatenating a Text Field and a Number Field

10. Having trouble converting SQL Server encrypted field in VB code

11. ADO how to determine if a access database field is a primary key field

12. Having Problems with concatenated indexes (primary keys)