Crystal 8 vs version in visual studio.net 2003
Author Message
 Crystal 8 vs version in visual studio.net 2003

Hello,

The last time that I used Crystal it was a stand alone product, I think it was version 8. I'm trying
to find out what the major differences are between the stand alone version I used and the one that
apparently comes bundled with visual studio.net 2003. I'm not looking for a list of new features. I
looked on both microsoft's site and crystal decisions site, but I still can't tell how much of a
learning curve there would be, based on the features listed on crystal decisions site. Could I jump
right in and start using Crystal that comes with visual studio, even though I don't know anything
about visual studio? Can reports be created in visual studio, without having to know Visual Basic or
one of the other packages?

I take it that visual studio.net 2003 can be run on a laptop for development purposes, as I saw
these specs (see below) - I'm wondering if I would need more than 256 MB of RAM? I would only be
using visual studio to get to crystal, if that's the right way to say it, to create reports.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

I noticed on crystal decision's web site that there is a version 9, that's an upgrade for crystal
for visual studio. Is this the version that comes with visual studio 2003?

Thank you.
Indera

Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:23:24 GMT
 Crystal 8 vs version in visual studio.net 2003
CR for .NET is very similar to CR x, with the exception that since it is
part of Visual Studio.NET, you need to be a fluent .NET programmer to be
able to use it properly. It is not a standalone reporting tool. From you
email, it appears that you haven't use VS.NET before and if that is true,
then you shouldn't buy it just for the purpose of getting CR. Version 9 of
CR is a standalone product and it also has upgraded components for Visual
Studio. If you have Visual Studio installed, then it will install the
associated upgrades.

I recommend that you buy CR9 and stay away from .NET. If you want to become
a programmer, then by all means buy .NET, but don't do it just for getting a
copy of CR.

Brian Bischof
--
A Crystal Reports.NET book for programmers? Its free!
* Covers ASP.NET and Windows Forms

www.CrystalReportsBook.com?cpgn=ngcr_042703

Quote:
> Hello,

> The last time that I used Crystal it was a stand alone product, I think it

was version 8. I'm trying
Quote:
> to find out what the major differences are between the stand alone version

I used and the one that
Quote:
> apparently comes bundled with visual studio.net 2003. I'm not looking for

a list of new features. I
Quote:
> looked on both microsoft's site and crystal decisions site, but I still

can't tell how much of a
Quote:
> learning curve there would be, based on the features listed on crystal

decisions site. Could I jump
Quote:
> right in and start using Crystal that comes with visual studio, even

though I don't know anything
Quote:
> about visual studio? Can reports be created in visual studio, without

having to know visual basic or
Quote:
> one of the other packages?

> I take it that visual studio.net 2003 can be run on a laptop for

development purposes, as I saw
Quote:
> these specs (see below) - I'm wondering if I would need more than 256 MB

of RAM? I would only be
Quote:
> using visual studio to get to crystal, if that's the right way to say it,
to create reports.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/sysreqs/default.aspx

> I noticed on crystal decision's web site that there is a version 9, that's

an upgrade for crystal
Quote:
> for visual studio. Is this the version that comes with visual studio 2003?

> Thank you.
> Indera

Fri, 14 Oct 2005 01:34:51 GMT
 Crystal 8 vs version in visual studio.net 2003
hi brian,

thank you for your reply.
yes, i realized that the version of crystal that comes with vs.net is not a stand alone tool. what
i'm trying to determine is how different in terms of the functionality, look and feel the vs.net
version is from the stand alone version. at one point, i was a vb programmer, but i have since moved
on <smile>.

true, i have never used vs.net., but wouldn't i be able to open vs.net and start creating reports in
crystal? what i'm not getting (not your fault) is if crystal in vs.net is similar to word is to
office, meaning that you can use vs.net to just create reports if that's all you wanted to do. or do
you have to have a visual basic project already created, in order to be able to create reports?

it seems to me that even though crystal is integrated with vs.net, that one that already knows
crystal should be able to create reports, as they only need access to the database, not whatever
application (like a vb  app) the reports are going to be used with.

hopefully, this doesn't sound{*filter*}y, but this isn't about saving money. i'm trying to find out as
much as i can before i commit to designing a course around using crystal in vs.net.

thanks
indera

Quote:

> CR for .NET is very similar to CR x, with the exception that since it is
> part of Visual Studio.NET, you need to be a fluent .NET programmer to be
> able to use it properly. It is not a standalone reporting tool. From you
> email, it appears that you haven't use VS.NET before and if that is true,
> then you shouldn't buy it just for the purpose of getting CR. Version 9 of
> CR is a standalone product and it also has upgraded components for Visual
> Studio. If you have Visual Studio installed, then it will install the
> associated upgrades.

> I recommend that you buy CR9 and stay away from .NET. If you want to become
> a programmer, then by all means buy .NET, but don't do it just for getting a
> copy of CR.

> Brian Bischof
> --
> A Crystal Reports.NET book for programmers? Its free!
> * Covers ASP.NET and Windows Forms
> * Teaches all phases of report development
> * Alerts you to the bugs and how to get around them
> * Maps out the complex ReportDocument object model
> * Shows how to perform runtime customization
> * Demonstrates all options of connecting with ADO.NET
> * Gives complete code listings for every concept presented

> www.CrystalReportsBook.com?cpgn=ngcr_042703

> > Hello,

> > The last time that I used Crystal it was a stand alone product, I think it
> was version 8. I'm trying
> > to find out what the major differences are between the stand alone version
> I used and the one that
> > apparently comes bundled with visual studio.net 2003. I'm not looking for
> a list of new features. I
> > looked on both microsoft's site and crystal decisions site, but I still
> can't tell how much of a
> > learning curve there would be, based on the features listed on crystal
> decisions site. Could I jump
> > right in and start using Crystal that comes with visual studio, even
> though I don't know anything
> > about visual studio? Can reports be created in visual studio, without
> having to know visual basic or
> > one of the other packages?

> > I take it that visual studio.net 2003 can be run on a laptop for
> development purposes, as I saw
> > these specs (see below) - I'm wondering if I would need more than 256 MB
> of RAM? I would only be
> > using visual studio to get to crystal, if that's the right way to say it,
> to create reports.
> > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > I noticed on crystal decision's web site that there is a version 9, that's
> an upgrade for crystal
> > for visual studio. Is this the version that comes with visual studio 2003?

> > Thank you.
> > Indera

Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:13:08 GMT
 Crystal 8 vs version in visual studio.net 2003
Although I don't know your background, I still think you should avoid .NET.
Its a major learning curve to go from VB6 to .NET, and you can't just turn
it on and start writing reports. Yes, the report creation process is very
similar, but you have to run it within a .NET application. Not only that,
but CR.NET is a stripped down version of CR8.5. So not only will it be
harder for you to learn, but you won't have as much functionality either. I
really don't see any overriding reason to use CR.NET unless you are writing
.NET apps and reporting is just a small aspect of the final application.

I hope this helps.

Brian Bischof

Quote:
> [...]

> > though I don't know anything
> > > about visual studio? Can reports be created in visual studio, without
> > having to know visual basic or
> > > one of the other packages?

> > > I take it that visual studio.net 2003 can be run on a laptop for
> > development purposes, as I saw
> > > these specs (see below) - I'm wondering if I would need more than 256
MB
> > of RAM? I would only be
> > > using visual studio to get to crystal, if that's the right way to say
it,
> > to create reports.
> > > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > > I noticed on crystal decision's web site that there is a version 9,
that's
> > an upgrade for crystal
> > > for visual studio. Is this the version that comes with visual studio

Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:15:04 GMT
 Crystal 8 vs version in visual studio.net 2003
hi brian,

this is very informative.
it never dawned on me that the version of crystal that comes with .net would be a scaled down
version.

i have a much better understanding now of how these products work together.
i think i'll get a copy of .net to see whether or not it would be worth it for me to design the
course.

thank you so much.
indera

Quote:

> [...]

> Visual
> > > Studio. If you have Visual Studio installed, then it will install the
> > > associated upgrades.

> > > I recommend that you buy CR9 and stay away from .NET. If you want to
> become
> > > a programmer, then by all means buy .NET, but don't do it just for
> getting a
> > > copy of CR.

> > > Brian Bischof
> > > --
> > > A Crystal Reports.NET book for programmers? Its free!
> > > * Covers ASP.NET and Windows Forms
> > > * Teaches all phases of report development
> > > * Alerts you to the bugs and how to get around them
> > > * Maps out the complex ReportDocument object model
> > > * Shows how to perform runtime customization
> > > * Demonstrates all options of connecting with ADO.NET
> > > * Gives complete code listings for every concept presented

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 08:30:38 GMT

1. Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Crystal Report Deploy

2. Visual Studio .Net 2003 Final Beta, simple socket code breaks between 2002 and 2003

3. VB .Net 2003 Standard or VS .Net 2003 Pro for Smart Devices

4. PowerToys for Visual Studio .NET 2003 Project Announcement

5. Ann: SyncVSS 1.1 released - Visual Studio .Net 2003 / VSS Addin

6. Visual Studio.NET 2003?

7. Visual Studio .Net 2003 Connect to Device???

8. Visual Studio 2003 Crystal Reports Merge Modules

9. VS.net 2003 and college version

10. VS.NET 2003 project back to VS.NET 2002

11. Upgrading to VS.Net 2003 from VS.Net 2002

12. VS.NET 2003 - DateTime field only showing up as Date in Crystal