Printing JPGs look bad
Author Message
 Printing JPGs look bad

Howdy:

I continue to see this issue asked about - yet never seen a good/acceptable
answer.

Printing graphics ( JPGs, GIFs, Charts, etc ) look bad.  The images are
broken up and unacceptable on screen as well as printed.  We're pulling
graphics off a file system ( a "vault" ) via directories stored in Oracle
and using ADO to get the file path from VB and throwing the graphic into the
Crystal graphics object ( running Oracle 8i, Crystal Reports 8.5, VB 6, Win
2K Pro ).

So - if anyone out there has any ideas - I surely would appreciate an
assist.  If anyone from Seagate reads this - it sure would help a bunch of
users if you came out with a conclusive answer to this graphics issue and
placed it on your tech support site.  Even admitting your products won't
support this would be a step in the right direction.  Selling CR as THE web
reporting product without graphics support is a bit of a joke...

Regards,
Michael

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:08:25 GMT
 Printing JPGs look bad
It looks like there IS something in the Crystal support system re:...if you
knew where to look..:)

http://support.crystaldecisions.com/library/kbase/articles/c2009714.asp
This is a known issue in CR 8.5 and has been assigned Track ID 56462.

There are 2 registry keys that can be modified to increase the resolution of
the objects in an exported file. These 2 keys are specific to CR 8.5.

WARNING==========
The following resolution involves editing the registry. Using Registry
Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to
reinstall the Windows operating system. Use Registry Editor at your own
risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the 'Changing Keys And
Values' online Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe). Note that you
should make a backup copy of the registry files (System.dat and User.dat on
Win9x computers) before you edit the registry.
====================

To work around this issue, complete the following steps:

1. Close Crystal Reports.

2. From the Windows Start menu, select 'Run', type 'regedit' and click 'OK'.
This takes you to the Windows Registry Editor.

3. Navigate in the Windows Registry to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ SEAGATE SOFTWARE \ CRYSTAL REPORTS \ EXPORT.

Within the Export folder there are 2 keys called BitMapMagnifDenominator and
BitMapMagnifNumerator.

4. Double click BitMapManifDenominator to open the 'Edit Dword Value' dialog
box and set the 'Value Data' to 1.

5. Double click the BitMapManifNumerator to open the 'Edit Dword Value'
dialog box and set the 'Value Data' to 2. You can set the 'Value Data' to 3
or 4 but your export from CR may take longer to process.

6. Close the Windows Registry Editor and reboot your computer. Go back into
the Windows Registry Editor to ensure the settings are saved.

Now when you export your report, OLE objects, charts, subreports, and
pictures do not lose resolution when exported from CR.

For information on supported export features for various export formats, go
to http://support.crystaldecisions.com/docs and search for
cr85_exportlimitations.zip

----

Quote:
> Howdy:

> I continue to see this issue asked about - yet never seen a
good/acceptable
> answer.

> Printing graphics ( JPGs, GIFs, Charts, etc ) look bad.  The images are
> broken up and unacceptable on screen as well as printed.  We're pulling
> graphics off a file system ( a "vault" ) via directories stored in Oracle
> and using ADO to get the file path from VB and throwing the graphic into
the
> Crystal graphics object ( running Oracle 8i, Crystal Reports 8.5, VB 6,
Win
> 2K Pro ).

> So - if anyone out there has any ideas - I surely would appreciate an
> assist.  If anyone from Seagate reads this - it sure would help a bunch of
> users if you came out with a conclusive answer to this graphics issue and
> placed it on your tech support site.  Even admitting your products won't
> support this would be a step in the right direction.  Selling CR as THE
web
> reporting product without graphics support is a bit of a joke...

> Regards,
> Michael

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:38:22 GMT
 Printing JPGs look bad
I also found this fix (I'm exporting a report with charts from a VB app to
PDF using the RDC). It works fine on the development machine, but on the
client machine the graphic still looks bad. The problem is that the client
machine doesn't have the 2 registry keys mentioned, because Crystal is not
installed.

Any help?

Izan

Quote:
> [...]

Oracle
> > and using ADO to get the file path from VB and throwing the graphic into
> the
> > Crystal graphics object ( running Oracle 8i, Crystal Reports 8.5, VB 6,
> Win
> > 2K Pro ).

> > So - if anyone out there has any ideas - I surely would appreciate an
> > assist.  If anyone from Seagate reads this - it sure would help a bunch
of
> > users if you came out with a conclusive answer to this graphics issue
and
> > placed it on your tech support site.  Even admitting your products won't
> > support this would be a step in the right direction.  Selling CR as THE
> web
> > reporting product without graphics support is a bit of a joke...

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:48:54 GMT

1. Bound Controls: bad,bad,bad

2. RDO bad, bad, bad

3. RDO bad, bad, bad

4. Images look bad

5. Copy-paste between documents looks bad

6. Closing MDI child forms looks bad

7. ???Why does my toolbar bmp's look bad in 256 colors

8. Toolbar icons look bad on XP from 2000

9. Delete Toolbar Button Looks Bad When Disabled

10. Toobar control, bad looking icons

11. Crystal Reports on the Web looks Bad

12. Looking for Printing and Print Preview...