AD HOC reporting?
Author Message
 AD HOC reporting?

Hi,
    I would like to give my users the ability to create custom reports
in my application. Does CR have a feature that will allow them to do
this: such as allowing the user to set selection criteria and specifying
what fields they want reported?
I have VB5 Enterprise and CR 4.6. I will probably be developing the
application in VB 6 Enterprise and am willing to upgrade to CR 7 if
that's what it takes.
Thanks in advance,
Chad Perry

Wed, 30 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 AD HOC reporting?
Chad,
This is the power of Crystal.  Give your users copies of Crystal Reports and
adaquate training and they can do wonders.  The Crystal dictionary helps
too.

See our web site for training, books, CDs, consulting, tips, etc.

Howard Hammerman
Un-Authorized Crystal Support
www.hammerman.com

Quote:

> Hi,
>     I would like to give my users the ability to create custom reports
> in my application. Does CR have a feature that will allow them to do
> this: such as allowing the user to set selection criteria and specifying
> what fields they want reported?
> I have VB5 Enterprise and CR 4.6. I will probably be developing the
> application in VB 6 Enterprise and am willing to upgrade to CR 7 if
> that's what it takes.
> Thanks in advance,
> Chad Perry

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 AD HOC reporting?

That would be "SELL your users copies of Crystal Reports".  To use the
Crystal Reports report designer, each user will need a licensed copy of
Crystal Reports.  Also, this will require that you document your data
schema, or create some type of view, stored procedure, or query
(depending on your database).  Crystal Reports is fairly user-friendly,
but it is probably a bit too much for most end users.

There are lots of programmers in your position.  A big downfall of
Crystal Reports is its limited ability to manipulate the layout of a
report at runtime.  Using lots of formulas and conditional formatting,
you can manipulate your report to some degree.  When it comes to
creating multiple grouping sections or adding columns to the report, you
are pretty much stuck creating a new report template file for each basic
layout type.

Brent Langdon, Software Engineer
Sequel Technology, http://www.sequeltech.com
(remove "nospam" to reply directly)

Quote:

> Chad,
> This is the power of Crystal.  Give your users copies of Crystal reports and
> adaquate training and they can do wonders.  The Crystal dictionary helps
> too.

> > Hi,
> >     I would like to give my users the ability to create custom reports
> > in my application. Does CR have a feature that will allow them to do
> > this: such as allowing the user to set selection criteria and specifying
> > what fields they want reported?
> > I have VB5 Enterprise and CR 4.6. I will probably be developing the
> > application in VB 6 Enterprise and am willing to upgrade to CR 7 if
> > that's what it takes.
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Chad Perry

Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 AD HOC reporting?
I wrote a portion of a FoxPro tool that gave users the ability to create
their own reports. It was a major undertaking and is a comercial product.
The results are that although every user will rant and rave that they want
to create reports. Less than 1% that right one percent have the basic
knowledge to create a report.

What we found was the when they though that they could and did actually
create something they most often got the wrong answers.

I don't do brain surgury and users need to let programers and DBA's create
reports.

A lot can be done by letting users suppress parts of reports, select the
sort order, etc. but that is it.

Thu, 07 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB5, Crystal Reports, Ad Hoc Reports

2. Ad Hoc Report Generator

3. Creating Ad-Hoc Report at run-time?

4. Creating Ad-Hoc Report at run-time?

5. Ad hoc reporting?

6. Creating Ad Hoc Reports

7. Ad Hoc Reports, Searching Text, Wizards

8. Ad-Hoc Reporting

9. Creating Ad-Hoc Report at run-time?

10. Ad-Hoc Web Reporting Via Crystal Reports?

11. creating reports from ad-hoc queries

12. ad-hoc query builder/report writer