CR9 Merge Modules - HELP
Author Message
 CR9 Merge Modules - HELP

Has anybody out there sucessfully deployed Crystal Report v9 applications
using the merge modules supplied by Crystal? My application is Access XP,
fronting an SQL 2000 Back-end. Access has no built-in reports but activates
CR9 reports using the supplied Crystal interfaces: craxdrt9.dll and
crviewer9.dll. This works really well in the developer environment.

I have included the required merge modules in my InstallShield package (this
includes the crystal licence module into which I have typed the appropriate
serial number). The Package builds sucessfully with no errors reported but
always fails when deployed on the target system. InstallShield reports a
failure to register about a dozen DLLs (these files are missing but should
have been copied to the Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\bin folder). If
you ignore these errors, InstallShield finally gives up with an undocumented
"Internal Error 2763" followed by the dreaded -1603 Fatal Error.

I have downloaded the evaluation copy of the WISE Professional Installer v4
and tried to create a distribution package using this and this gives similar
behaviour.

I have also tried copying the two files that are referenced directly by my
application (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal
Decisions\2.0\crystalreportviewers\ActiveXViewer\crviewer9.dll and
C:\Program Files\Crystal Decisions\Report Designer Component\craxdrt9.dll
directly to the target system and getting InstallShield to scan these to
determine all of the dependencies in order to include the necessary files -
same result.

I have tried creating a separate MSI file for Crystal Reports 9 Runtime
containing only the required merge modules, but this fails in the same way -
so it is definitely something to do with the Crystal stuff and not an
interaction with my other InstallShield elements.

I didn't get these problems with CR8.5, but I don't have the time to revert
back to an earlier version of the reports because there are too many and
there isn't a way of automatically converting v9 reports to v8.5 that I am
aware of.

Is it me or are these problems due to duff merge modules?

Needless to say, I have discovered all this at the 11th hour of an important
project. Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Paul

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:58:49 GMT
 CR9 Merge Modules - HELP
Try registering keycode.dll, before you register any of the Crystal DLL's,
this should then allow you to register the rest.

Quote:
> Has anybody out there sucessfully deployed Crystal Report v9 applications
> using the merge modules supplied by Crystal? My application is Access XP,
> fronting an SQL 2000 Back-end. Access has no built-in reports but
activates
> CR9 reports using the supplied Crystal interfaces: craxdrt9.dll and
> crviewer9.dll. This works really well in the developer environment.

> I have included the required merge modules in my InstallShield package
(this
> includes the crystal licence module into which I have typed the
appropriate
> serial number). The Package builds sucessfully with no errors reported but
> always fails when deployed on the target system. InstallShield reports a
> failure to register about a dozen DLLs (these files are missing but should
> have been copied to the Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\bin folder). If
> you ignore these errors, InstallShield finally gives up with an
undocumented
> "Internal Error 2763" followed by the dreaded -1603 Fatal Error.

> I have downloaded the evaluation copy of the WISE Professional Installer
v4
> and tried to create a distribution package using this and this gives
similar
> behaviour.

> I have also tried copying the two files that are referenced directly by my
> application (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal
> Decisions\2.0\crystalreportviewers\ActiveXViewer\crviewer9.dll and
> C:\Program Files\Crystal Decisions\Report Designer Component\craxdrt9.dll
> directly to the target system and getting InstallShield to scan these to
> determine all of the dependencies in order to include the necessary
files -
> same result.

> I have tried creating a separate MSI file for Crystal Reports 9 Runtime
> containing only the required merge modules, but this fails in the same
way -
> so it is definitely something to do with the Crystal stuff and not an
> interaction with my other InstallShield elements.

> I didn't get these problems with CR8.5, but I don't have the time to
revert
> back to an earlier version of the reports because there are too many and
> there isn't a way of automatically converting v9 reports to v8.5 that I am
> aware of.

> Is it me or are these problems due to duff merge modules?

> Needless to say, I have discovered all this at the 11th hour of an
important
> project. Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

> Paul

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:58:48 GMT
 CR9 Merge Modules - HELP
Thanks Rikesh

I have tried this but there is something still wrong. On the target machine,
most (if not all) of the files are copied to their target folders even
though the install fails. Because the install fails I don't know how
complete the install really is. However, I can manually successfully
register KeyCode.dll (and this is not one of the files that fails during
installation). However, if I subsequently try to register any of the
following:

EmfGen.dll
ExportModeller.dll
crqe.dll
crtslv.dll
DataDefModel.dll
RptControllers.dll
saxmlserialize.dll
UndoManager.dll

I get the following message in a dialog box:

RegSvr32
LoadLibrary("C:\Program files\Common Files\Crystal
Decisions\2.0\bin\xxxx.dll") failed.
GetLastError returns 0x0000001f

All of these can be registered successfully on the development machine.
Needless to say, these are the DLLs that fail during the install. The three
merge modules that I am incorporating are:

rdcruntime   (rdcruntime.msm)
reportengine   (reportengine.msm)
Seagate Registration Wizard  (licence.msm)

I have an upgrade version of Crystal Reports 9 Developer Edition (upgraded
from v8.5). I'm wondering if the supplied serial number works with the
licence.msm module. I'm convinced that if I can get the dlls above to
register cleanly the installation will work. I have tried to incorporate the
Library.msm module using a serial number with and then without hyphens (the
Application Deployment Notes refer to a 19-digit code and this implies no
hyphens). No joy.

Kind reagrds

Paul

Quote:
> [...]

> > I have tried creating a separate MSI file for Crystal Reports 9 Runtime
> > containing only the required merge modules, but this fails in the same
> way -
> > so it is definitely something to do with the Crystal stuff and not an
> > interaction with my other InstallShield elements.

> > I didn't get these problems with CR8.5, but I don't have the time to
> revert
> > back to an earlier version of the reports because there are too many and
> > there isn't a way of automatically converting v9 reports to v8.5 that I
am
> > aware of.

> > Is it me or are these problems due to duff merge modules?

> > Needless to say, I have discovered all this at the 11th hour of an
> important
> > project. Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Sat, 18 Jun 2005 04:53:22 GMT
 CR9 Merge Modules - HELP
More information.

The offending module appears to be LICENCE.MSM. If I include only this in my
InstallShield project it builds ok but causes the Internal Error 2763
followed by Fatal Error -1603 when the project is installed on the target. I
have the feeling that this is designed for use exclusively with the .NET
platform and hasn't been tested with InstallShield Developer 8 for non .NET
projects.

Any ideas?

Sat, 18 Jun 2005 08:28:57 GMT
 CR9 Merge Modules - HELP
Thanks Guys - Problem Solved.

After much furtling on the InstallShield website I found the following:

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q106852

The important (but highly obscure) step than nobody would arrive at
instinctively is to insert an extra execute action in the install sequence.

All is now working AOK.

Kind regards

Paul

Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:23:02 GMT
 CR9 Merge Modules - HELP
Hi Paul,

I'm quite new to installs and everything that goes with it.  The main App
uses Installshield 6.3 Professional Standard Edition, but I just could not
get the CR9 DLL's to work with the Installshield installation, so I use
package and deployment in VB to install my DLL's.

Although there were some more problems, I need to get all the latest Window
Critical Updates, so I just upgraded to Win2000 SP3.

Now I install my CR9 DLL's and then run my installshield app.

What is all this about the merge modules, I don't know what these are?
Ultimately I would like it to run all from Installshield?

--
Kind Regards

Rikesh
(Using Win2K/VB6/SQL2K/CR9Advanced.Ed/CRAX.DRT)

Quote:
> Thanks Guys - Problem Solved.

> After much furtling on the InstallShield website I found the following:

> http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q106852

> The important (but highly obscure) step than nobody would arrive at
> instinctively is to insert an extra execute action in the install
sequence.

> All is now working AOK.

> Kind regards

> Paul

Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:10:12 GMT
 CR9 Merge Modules - HELP
Hi Rikesk

I have InstallShield Developer 8 - so I don't know how similar version 6.3
is and what the differences are.

Merge Modules are files that contain all of the DLLs, system files, folders,
registry settings and so on that are necessary to deploy an application,
feature or service. These files are available for deployment systems such as
InstallShield, Wise Installer and so on and the modules for Crystal Reports
v9 are available from http://support.crystaldecisions.com/downloads' -search
for the following files:

cr9netmergemodules.zip
cr9rdcmergemodules.zip
cr9netredist.zip

You place the MSM files contained in these ZIP files into the default
InstallSheild Merge Module folder. After this, when you start InstallShield
and click on the "Redistributables" node in the menu side bar you will see
items such as "rdcdesigntime", "rdcruntime", "reportengine" and "Seagate
Registration Wizard" in the list of InstallShield Objects and Merge Modules.
You can include these by putting a tick alongside the required items. I
usually create a new InstallShield feature called "Crystal Report 9 Runtime"
and associate these modules with this feature. This allows the user to
specifically include or exclude the Crystal Report support when performing a
custom install. When you tick the "Seagate Registration Wizard" you are
required to enter a valid CR9 serial number. This then authorises the
runtime elements, allowing them to be installed on target computers without
any other serial numbers being required. When you install on the target
computer, all of the CR9 support files are copied to the approriate folders
and registered.

By using Merge Modules you don't have to worry about what files are included
and where they go - it's all done for you and it can be included as part of
your InstallShield application installation - neat. As noted in my previous
posting, for InstallShield Developer 8 you have to perform an additional
step as described in
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q106852, but I'm not
sure exactly what you need to do for IS vs 6.3.

Merge Modules are available for a wide range of program add-ons from small
items such as the Microsoft Hierarchical Tree view to complex subsystems
such as MSDE 2000.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Paul

Quote:
> Hi Paul,

> I'm quite new to installs and everything that goes with it.  The main App
> uses Installshield 6.3 Professional Standard Edition, but I just could not
> get the CR9 DLL's to work with the Installshield installation, so I use
> package and deployment in VB to install my DLL's.

> Although there were some more problems, I need to get all the latest
Window
> Critical Updates, so I just upgraded to Win2000 SP3.

> Now I install my CR9 DLL's and then run my installshield app.

> What is all this about the merge modules, I don't know what these are?
> Ultimately I would like it to run all from Installshield?

> --
> Kind Regards

> Rikesh
> (Using Win2K/VB6/SQL2K/CR9Advanced.Ed/CRAX.DRT)

> > Thanks Guys - Problem Solved.

> > After much furtling on the InstallShield website I found the following:

> > http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q106852

> > The important (but highly obscure) step than nobody would arrive at
> > instinctively is to insert an extra execute action in the install
> sequence.

> > All is now working AOK.

> > Kind regards

> > Paul

Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:13:56 GMT
 CR9 Merge Modules - HELP
Turns out after adding the most recent ATL v3.0 merge module it fixes alot
of the issues with Crystal's Merge Modules during installation for
InstallShield.

Quote:
> Has anybody out there sucessfully deployed Crystal Report v9 applications
> using the merge modules supplied by Crystal? My application is Access XP,
> fronting an SQL 2000 Back-end. Access has no built-in reports but
activates
> CR9 reports using the supplied Crystal interfaces: craxdrt9.dll and
> crviewer9.dll. This works really well in the developer environment.

> I have included the required merge modules in my InstallShield package
(this
> includes the crystal licence module into which I have typed the
appropriate
> serial number). The Package builds sucessfully with no errors reported but
> always fails when deployed on the target system. InstallShield reports a
> failure to register about a dozen DLLs (these files are missing but should
> have been copied to the Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\bin folder). If
> you ignore these errors, InstallShield finally gives up with an
undocumented
> "Internal Error 2763" followed by the dreaded -1603 Fatal Error.

> I have downloaded the evaluation copy of the WISE Professional Installer
v4
> and tried to create a distribution package using this and this gives
similar
> behaviour.

> I have also tried copying the two files that are referenced directly by my
> application (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal
> Decisions\2.0\crystalreportviewers\ActiveXViewer\crviewer9.dll and
> C:\Program Files\Crystal Decisions\Report Designer Component\craxdrt9.dll
> directly to the target system and getting InstallShield to scan these to
> determine all of the dependencies in order to include the necessary
files -
> same result.

> I have tried creating a separate MSI file for Crystal Reports 9 Runtime
> containing only the required merge modules, but this fails in the same
way -
> so it is definitely something to do with the Crystal stuff and not an
> interaction with my other InstallShield elements.

> I didn't get these problems with CR8.5, but I don't have the time to
revert
> back to an earlier version of the reports because there are too many and
> there isn't a way of automatically converting v9 reports to v8.5 that I am
> aware of.

> Is it me or are these problems due to duff merge modules?

> Needless to say, I have discovered all this at the 11th hour of an
important
> project. Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

> Paul

Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:40:11 GMT

1. CR9 - Merge modules for installation with VB 6 Application

2. Problems with CR9 license.msm module in Wise Installer

3. Help with Merge Modules in .NET made Setups

4. merge module error while building

5. merge module error

6. Diff. between Merge Module and CAB projects

7. Merge Module for SQL Server 2000

8. Windows Script Merge Module

9. Visual Studio 2003 Crystal Reports Merge Modules

10. Crystal 9 installation from merge module problem

11. Crystal Distribution Merge Modules. Why RegWiz Everytime

12. Weekly / Monthly Hot Fixes and Merge Modules