Best way to handle this!!
Author Message
 Best way to handle this!!

I have a table with several columns.
The user can select some or all of these columns to display on the report I
have to create.
He can also select the order in which the data is sorted (in the
ascending/descending order of the columns selected) and the columns to group
by.

Since I do not know the colums to display/the sort order/or the group
selection until run time, I will have to postpone most of the design
decisions until then.

What is the best strategy/method to handle this situation. I will be using
CR 8.0/VB6 sp5/ Adodb recordsets.

Thanks for any suggestions/samples/pointers.
-- Manohar

Fri, 07 May 2004 23:38:35 GMT
 Best way to handle this!!

Quote:
>Subject: Best way to handle this!!

>Date: 11/19/01 9:38 AM Central Standard Time

>I have a table with several columns.
>The user can select some or all of these columns to display on the report I
>have to create.
>He can also select the order in which the data is sorted (in the
>ascending/descending order of the columns selected) and the columns to group
>by.

>Since I do not know the colums to display/the sort order/or the group
>selection until run time, I will have to postpone most of the design
>decisions until then.

>What is the best strategy/method to handle this situation. I will be using
>CR 8.0/VB6 sp5/ Adodb recordsets.

>Thanks for any suggestions/samples/pointers.
>-- Manohar

I have several reports that have an Option field that could be one of several
fields based on a parameter.  You would use a formula similar to this:

if {?Pick Field} = 1 then totext({Patient.Date_of_birth})
else
if {?Pick Field) = 2 then {Admision.Admitting_physician}

etc

NOTE: all of the choices must be of the same format!  You must use a ToText or
some other conversion method to make this work.   You would also need another
formula that would create the proper coclumn heading.

Sat, 08 May 2004 02:16:40 GMT

1. dropdownlists and grids, which ways is the best?

2. good ways to use recordsets without autocommit?

3. Better ways to schedule?

4. good ways to use recordsets without autocommit?

5. Better ways to put text into textbox??

6. Sample code or good directions handling Outlook forms

7. Good Error Handling Documentation

8. Best Practice for Exception Handling?

9. Best way to handle rollback?

10. How best to handle a small list?

11. ERROR HANDLING in tiers / best practices??

12. How best to handle DB?