Got error while viewing report using crystal report
Author Message
 Got error while viewing report using crystal report

Hi Everyone,

   I have used Crystal Report 8.5 with VB6 (SP4). My report contains more
than 20 sub-reports. I guess my report contains more 3000 pages.
   My problems are:
1) when I click on next button, it takes around a minute to display next
page.
2) finally I have clicked on last page button (regardless how much time it
will take), but after some hours (around page no. 400. However, when I run
this report before I have already made report displayed till page no. 490.)
I got error masage : "ADODB.field:Either BOF or EOF is true, or the current
record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record".
After clicking on 'OK' button another msg screen appears with msg: "Error
detected by database DLL".

    I guess, this is the problem of Crystal report viewer.
   Please help me to get out of this problem.

Regards,
Sidz

Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:01:57 GMT
 Got error while viewing report using crystal report
20 subreports! and 3000 pages, wow!
I even hate to have to use 1 subreport in my reports. (they suck and CR
crashes as a rule when i'm editing the subreport)

Regardless if you're getting errors or not, I'd redesign the bunch to make
it less complex (and thus better maintainable, scalable and expandable).
Can't you split it into multiple reports and print them separately? I'd
never trust CR with such a big job...

Cheers,

Bas

Quote:
> Hi Everyone,

>    I have used Crystal report 8.5 with VB6 (SP4). My report contains more
> than 20 sub-reports. I guess my report contains more 3000 pages.
>    My problems are:
> 1) when I click on next button, it takes around a minute to display next
> page.
> 2) finally I have clicked on last page button (regardless how much time it
> will take), but after some hours (around page no. 400. However, when I run
> this report before I have already made report displayed till page no.
490.)
> I got error masage : "ADODB.field:Either BOF or EOF is true, or the
current
> record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record".
> After clicking on 'OK' button another msg screen appears with msg: "Error
> detected by database DLL".

>     I guess, this is the problem of Crystal report viewer.
>    Please help me to get out of this problem.

> Regards,
> Sidz

Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:15:54 GMT
 Got error while viewing report using crystal report
Thank for your interest Bas,

     I am briefing my report status now......

    I have made 20 tables  in SQL 7.0. One is master and other (all 19)
tables have one to many relationship with master table.

    Now, I want to show report which contains data from all 20 tables in
such a way that : e.g: first record from master table and then all records
(which has same ID as of first record of master table) from second table and
then all records (which has same ID as of first record of master table) from
third table and..................till 20th table. Then again, with new page,
second record from master table and then all records (which has same ID as
of second record of master table) from second table and then all records
(which has same ID as of second record of master table) from third table
and..................till 20th table. And so and so till all records from
master table.

   Is this possible with multiple reports without using subreport? If yes,
please let me know.

Regards,
Sidz

Quote:
> 20 subreports! and 3000 pages, wow!
> I even hate to have to use 1 subreport in my reports. (they suck and CR
> crashes as a rule when i'm editing the subreport)

> Regardless if you're getting errors or not, I'd redesign the bunch to make
> it less complex (and thus better maintainable, scalable and expandable).
> Can't you split it into multiple reports and print them separately? I'd
> never trust CR with such a big job...

> Cheers,

> Bas

> > Hi Everyone,

> >    I have used Crystal report 8.5 with VB6 (SP4). My report contains
more
> > than 20 sub-reports. I guess my report contains more 3000 pages.
> >    My problems are:
> > 1) when I click on next button, it takes around a minute to display next
> > page.
> > 2) finally I have clicked on last page button (regardless how much time
it
> > will take), but after some hours (around page no. 400. However, when I
run
> > this report before I have already made report displayed till page no.
> 490.)
> > I got error masage : "ADODB.field:Either BOF or EOF is true, or the
> current
> > record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record".
> > After clicking on 'OK' button another msg screen appears with msg:
"Error
> > detected by database DLL".

> >     I guess, this is the problem of Crystal report viewer.
> >    Please help me to get out of this problem.

> > Regards,
> > Sidz

Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:15:25 GMT
 Got error while viewing report using crystal report
Are you sure your database design is okay? I can't quite follow what you're
showing on the report (I understand the structure as you describe it)
Can't you make one sql query that does this? Or otherwise you could make 19
queries and combine those with unions. That 'd give you one combined query
and you wouldn't need all those subreports.

Bas

Quote:
> [...]

next
> > > page.
> > > 2) finally I have clicked on last page button (regardless how much
time
> it
> > > will take), but after some hours (around page no. 400. However, when I
> run
> > > this report before I have already made report displayed till page no.
> > 490.)
> > > I got error masage : "ADODB.field:Either BOF or EOF is true, or the
> > current
> > > record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current
record".
> > > After clicking on 'OK' button another msg screen appears with msg:
> "Error
> > > detected by database DLL".

> > >     I guess, this is the problem of Crystal report viewer.
> > >    Please help me to get out of this problem.

Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:18:07 GMT
 Got error while viewing report using crystal report

Quote:

> Hi Everyone,

>    I have used Crystal report 8.5 with VB6 (SP4). My report contains more
> than 20 sub-reports. I guess my report contains more 3000 pages.
>    My problems are:
> 1) when I click on next button, it takes around a minute to display next
> page.
> 2) finally I have clicked on last page button (regardless how much time it
> will take), but after some hours (around page no. 400. However, when I run
> this report before I have already made report displayed till page no. 490.)
> I got error masage : "ADODB.field:Either BOF or EOF is true, or the current
> record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record".
> After clicking on 'OK' button another msg screen appears with msg: "Error
> detected by database DLL".

>     I guess, this is the problem of Crystal report viewer.
>    Please help me to get out of this problem.

> Regards,
> Sidz

I think I understand your desired result...

First, I would do ALL SQL work on the server via a view or stored
procedure.  I finally got tired of trying to design (and maintain!) my
SQL code within Crystal and have a personal rule that I do use Crystal
to do formulate complex  SQL - that is just not what it does best.  I
think you could design a view, or better yet a stored procedure, to
output the results that you want much faster than you will get by
sending all the data to Crystal and letting it join/sort it all out.
The database is targeted toward this work while Crystal is more
targeted toward presentation - sort of like using your car to haul
firewood while you have a pickup truck parked in the driveway.  Sql
server has some nice extensions available within the stored
procedures, that are not readily available within views, that will
help you fly through a task like this and will kick the data back as
fast as you need it.

An additional benefit of this approach is that you can debug your sql
in an environment friendly to that effort - and you will not have to
wait minutes to see the results.  Whether you use a view or a stored
procedure you can execute it from the query analyzer and look for
errors and/or nulls that may cause a problem later.  From the error
that you describe I would suspect that you may need an outer join -
one of you 19 tables may not be coming up with a matching row and you
are trying to reference the resultset/recordset when there is no row
to get.  Again, this is easier dealt with at the server/database
level.

Having said that, I would revisit my design goals to see if anyone
really needs one 3000 page report - who uses it and for what?  Is it
not so cumbersome that it gets ignored?  Does anyone print this
monster or do you expert it to a file that they must search?  You will
experience some delay if your users bring this up in preview - Crystal
formats the pages as they pass by. but if you move the query off to
the server you will get faster response because you be bringing only
the information that you need over the net.

Maybe you, and your users, would be better served by either separate,
smaller reports and/or more of a summary report?  If so, you have a
real opportunity to pass the work off to the server.

Good luck,
A. Smith
Oracle Certified DBA

Sun, 06 Jun 2004 00:14:45 GMT
 Got error while viewing report using crystal report
For a report that large you will need to have plenty of disk space available
so CR can have room do do it's magic.

And you can remove the subreports and just have a main report by using a
UNION join to put all your sub tables together.  Get the DB to do all the
hard work.

Good luck

Quote:
> Hi Everyone,

>    I have used Crystal report 8.5 with VB6 (SP4). My report contains more
> than 20 sub-reports. I guess my report contains more 3000 pages.
>    My problems are:
> 1) when I click on next button, it takes around a minute to display next
> page.
> 2) finally I have clicked on last page button (regardless how much time it
> will take), but after some hours (around page no. 400. However, when I run
> this report before I have already made report displayed till page no.
490.)
> I got error masage : "ADODB.field:Either BOF or EOF is true, or the
current
> record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record".
> After clicking on 'OK' button another msg screen appears with msg: "Error
> detected by database DLL".

>     I guess, this is the problem of Crystal report viewer.
>    Please help me to get out of this problem.

> Regards,
> Sidz

Sun, 06 Jun 2004 17:02:15 GMT

1. Viewing report created using Crystal reports 7.0

2. Creating RCAPI calls from Crystal Reports and viewing the report using a web application in .net

3. Landscape report views but prints in portrait (using crystal report)

4. Using an existing crystal report, but programmatically redirecting where/how the report gets its data

5. View Multiple Crystal Report as Single Report

6. Simple Report View.......Crystal Report Object

7. View a Report without Crystal Report installed ?

8. Print and Export button in Crystal Report View not using SelectionFormula

9. View Crystal Report From VB on CItrix - HANGS / TLV Error

10. ODBC error when viewing Crystal Reports

11. Overflow error, error number 6, in VB6 using Crystal Reports 7

12. Printing Crystal Reports without Crystal Control ActiveX or Crystal Reports API call