Missing some steps in creating a report to use a ADO.net dataset
Author Message
 Missing some steps in creating a report to use a ADO.net dataset

Hi,

I seem to be missing an understanding of how to create a report based on a
ADO.net dataset.  I have an application that through a rather complex series
of stored procedures and calculation creates a dataset that I want to use
for a report.  This series of stored procedures and canculations is such
that I cannot use the simple ADODataset wizard in VS.net to model the data.
I gather I need some sort of mechanism to save the final dataset structure.
It appears from the examples, that an XSD file will do this.  However, how
can I create a report file (not the viewer control) that that uses the XSD
file as the input defining the data structures.  As far as I can tell the
only inputs are thinkgs like tables and opther more convential data sources.

Also, I could be going about this all wrong, so please let me know.

Thanks,

Jerry

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:35:39 GMT
 Missing some steps in creating a report to use a ADO.net dataset
Hey Jerry,

You have to write a temporary program to generate the final dataset and save
it as an XML schema file. Then go back into design mode and build a report
using that schema file as the datasource. When you run the report, link the
dataset to the reportsource and you are good to go. I have complete source
code for doing this in Chapter 14 of my free ebook on Crystal Reports.

www.CrystalReportsBook.com/rdr.asp?cpgn=ngcr_012803

--Brian

A Crystal Reports.NET book for programmers? Its free!
* Covers ASP.NET and Windows Forms
* Teaches all phases of report development
* Alerts you to the bugs and how to get around them
* Maps out the complex ReportDocument object model
* Shows how to perform runtime customization
* Demonstrates all options of connecting with ADO.NET
* Gives complete code listings for every concept presented

Quote:
> Hi,

> I seem to be missing an understanding of how to create a report based on a
> ADO.net dataset.  I have an application that through a rather complex
series
> of stored procedures and calculation creates a dataset that I want to use
> for a report.  This series of stored procedures and canculations is such
> that I cannot use the simple ADODataset wizard in VS.net to model the
data.
> I gather I need some sort of mechanism to save the final dataset
structure.
> It appears from the examples, that an XSD file will do this.  However, how
> can I create a report file (not the viewer control) that that uses the XSD
> file as the input defining the data structures.  As far as I can tell the
> only inputs are thinkgs like tables and opther more convential data
sources.

> Also, I could be going about this all wrong, so please let me know.

> Thanks,

> Jerry

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:24:51 GMT
 Missing some steps in creating a report to use a ADO.net dataset
Thanks brian,

I figured that out.  Sure is a pain.

BTW, great ebook!

Quote:
> Hey Jerry,

> You have to write a temporary program to generate the final dataset and
save
> it as an XML schema file. Then go back into design mode and build a report
> using that schema file as the datasource. When you run the report, link
the
> dataset to the reportsource and you are good to go. I have complete source
> code for doing this in Chapter 14 of my free ebook on Crystal Reports.

> www.CrystalReportsBook.com/rdr.asp?cpgn=ngcr_012803

> --Brian

> A Crystal Reports.NET book for programmers? Its free!
> * Covers ASP.NET and Windows Forms
> * Teaches all phases of report development
> * Alerts you to the bugs and how to get around them
> * Maps out the complex ReportDocument object model
> * Shows how to perform runtime customization
> * Demonstrates all options of connecting with ADO.NET
> * Gives complete code listings for every concept presented

> > Hi,

> > I seem to be missing an understanding of how to create a report based on
> > ADO.net dataset.  I have an application that through a rather complex
> series
> > of stored procedures and calculation creates a dataset that I want to
use
> > for a report.  This series of stored procedures and canculations is such
> > that I cannot use the simple ADODataset wizard in VS.net to model the
> data.
> > I gather I need some sort of mechanism to save the final dataset
> structure.
> > It appears from the examples, that an XSD file will do this.  However,
how
> > can I create a report file (not the viewer control) that that uses the
XSD
> > file as the input defining the data structures.  As far as I can tell
the
> > only inputs are thinkgs like tables and opther more convential data
> sources.

> > Also, I could be going about this all wrong, so please let me know.

> > Thanks,

> > Jerry

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:04:54 GMT

1. Crystal Report based on ADO.Net dataset prompts for database login

2. Report with untyped DataSet (ADO.NET)

3. programmatically adding ADO dataset to crystal report in .NET

4. Help in Reporting off ADO.NET DataSet

5. Using DataSet In the Crystal report.NET

6. what create table using ADO.NET to VB.NET

7. Hierarchical ADO recordset -> ADO.NET Dataset Fill

8. Creating RCAPI calls from Crystal Reports and viewing the report using a web application in .net

9. HELP - need excercise files CDrom Visual C# .NET step by step

10. Microsoft Visual Basic .NET Step by Step

11. vb.net step by step by Michael Halvorsen

12. VB.NET: Steps for Converting a Windows .NET Application to a Web .NET Application