Sorting on a running total field
Author Message
 Sorting on a running total field

I have a report that lists inventory and calculates number of cases and
gross weight for each item. My customer needs this report sorted on gross
weight for each item in descending order. This is grouped by item number.
For example:
item    cases    weight
1        2            50
1        3            75
total cases    5
gross weight    125

(repeat for each item)

Of course when I click on the Sort Order button, I cannot select this
running total for weight to sort on. Is there a way to do this in a formula?
Thanks in advance.

--
Travis Roberts, IT Dept help desk
Nordic Cold Storage, LLC

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:59:09 GMT
 Sorting on a running total field
I have a report that lists inventory and calculates number of cases and
gross weight for each item. My customer needs this report sorted on gross
weight for each item in descending order. This is grouped by item number.
For example:
item    cases    weight
1        2            50
1        3            75
total cases    5
gross weight    125

(repeat for each item)

Of course when I click on the Sort Order button, I cannot select this
running total for weight to sort on. Is there a way to do this in a formula?
Thanks in advance.

--
Travis Roberts, IT Dept help desk
Nordic Cold Storage, LLC
(770)871-2700

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:59:45 GMT
 Sorting on a running total field
Hi Travis,
    Instead of using the running total field, group on the item number and
use a summary field to calculate the total weight for the item.  Then use
the TopN/Group Sort feature.  Typically the report will sort by the group
fields first, using the Group sort feature allows you to create groups, as
you need to for summing the weight, then to rearrange the order that these
groups are displayed.  For example: If item 1 totals 125, item 2 totals 200
and item 3 totals 75, grouping on the item number will return:
item    total
1        125
2        200
3        75
Using the Group Sort gives you:
item    total
3        75
1        125
2        200
I hope this helps you.

Bob Holmes

Quote:
> I have a report that lists inventory and calculates number of cases and
> gross weight for each item. My customer needs this report sorted on gross
> weight for each item in descending order. This is grouped by item number.
> For example:
> item    cases    weight
> 1        2            50
> 1        3            75
> total cases    5
> gross weight    125

> (repeat for each item)

> Of course when I click on the Sort Order button, I cannot select this
> running total for weight to sort on. Is there a way to do this in a
formula?
> Thanks in advance.

> --
> Travis Roberts, IT Dept help desk
> Nordic Cold Storage, LLC
> (770)871-2700

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:28:59 GMT
 Sorting on a running total field
That works great. Thank you very much Bob.

Travis

Quote:
> Hi Travis,
>     Instead of using the running total field, group on the item number and
> use a summary field to calculate the total weight for the item.  Then use
> the TopN/Group Sort feature.  Typically the report will sort by the group
> fields first, using the Group sort feature allows you to create groups, as
> you need to for summing the weight, then to rearrange the order that these
> groups are displayed.  For example: If item 1 totals 125, item 2 totals
200
> and item 3 totals 75, grouping on the item number will return:
> item    total
> 1        125
> 2        200
> 3        75
> Using the Group Sort gives you:
> item    total
> 3        75
> 1        125
> 2        200
> I hope this helps you.

> Bob Holmes

> > I have a report that lists inventory and calculates number of cases and
> > gross weight for each item. My customer needs this report sorted on
gross
> > weight for each item in descending order. This is grouped by item
number.
> > For example:
> > item    cases    weight
> > 1        2            50
> > 1        3            75
> > total cases    5
> > gross weight    125

> > (repeat for each item)

> > Of course when I click on the Sort Order button, I cannot select this
> > running total for weight to sort on. Is there a way to do this in a
> formula?
> > Thanks in advance.

> > --
> > Travis Roberts, IT Dept help desk
> > Nordic Cold Storage, LLC
> > (770)871-2700

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 01:05:03 GMT

1. Adding different sorted totals into a grand total field

2. Running Totals in unbound field

3. Running Total Field

4. running total field

5. Crystal report 7 variables in running Total field

6. variable or formular in Running Total fields

7. Running Totals, accessing the database fields outside of the selection formula

8. Grand Total, Subtotal, Running Total

9. Grand Total, subtotal, running total

10. TOTAL (RUNNING TOTAL )

11. How to pass sort field to SCR report at run time

12. sorting listbox with sorted property on run time