OLE Simple Providers and Crystal
Author Message
 OLE Simple Providers and Crystal

Hello Everyone,
    I have the misfortune of porting small sections of an old VB3 app to
VB6. In one section, we are going from direct printer and GDI writes to a
reporting engine. The data source is implemented via my own objects, and I
do not have the luxury of using a database. So, I decided to use
ActiveReports, and I would dynamically bind my data source to the reports at
runtime. This works grea, because my data source is my own class that
implements the OLE Simple DB Provider interfaces.
    I have since found out that the company has arbitrarily applied a
standard that states all reporting will now be using Crystal. So, I tried to
create several "dummy" reports, but I could not assign my custom data source
to the report (Report.Database.SetDataSource (i think) method). I keep
getting a "Subscript Out Of Range" exception. Please note that this is the
Report object from the activeX Designer's library, not the CPRE library. I
have since found out that these are not the same objects or do not implement
the same interfaces. I want to continue to use the activeX designer for the
code-behind benefits, but I am at a standstill until I can figure out how to
apply my own custom datasource to the report.
    In the CRPE lib, there is an object called DatabaseTable that has a
method called SetPrivateData in which you can assign either a Recordset
object, or a crystal CDO object. However, the corresponding class in the
designer's typelib does not contain that method.
    I can get it to work if I implement my data source in a separate DLL,
but my datasource needs to interact with the reports, so that is not an
option.
    Any suggestions?

tia
trey hutcheson

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 06:46:37 GMT

1. OLE DB Simple Provider interface?

2. OLE DB Simple Provider / Listener

3. OLE DB Simple Provider Question (Advance)

4. Microsoft's OLE DB Simple Provider 1.5 Library isn't cutting it :(

5. OLE DB Simple Provider Toolkit

6. Can't create an OLE DB simple provider in VB6 Enterprise

7. ADO and OLE DB Simple Provider

8. Connecting the "OLE DB Simple Provider"...

9. OLE Simple Provider Toolkit

10. Simple Text OLE DB Provider

11. Can't create an OLE DB simple provider in VB6 Enterprise

12. ODBC provider vs MS SQL provider (OLE DB)