Stopping data from being grouped by Group 1 when that group is suppressed
Author Message
 Stopping data from being grouped by Group 1 when that group is suppressed

Records are still being grouped by group 1 even though I have used
parameters to suppress it. The header and footer have been hidden but
records still grouping! Can anyone help? Cheers

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:06:35 GMT
 Stopping data from being grouped by Group 1 when that group is suppressed
Try HideForDrilldown property

Quote:
> Records are still being grouped by group 1 even though I have used
> parameters to suppress it. The header and footer have been hidden but
> records still grouping! Can anyone help? Cheers

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:29:10 GMT
 Stopping data from being grouped by Group 1 when that group is suppressed
I don't think your problem is grouping per se, I think your report is still
sorting by whatever is defined as group 1.  Maybe your sort criteria needs
to be variable as well.

Consider the following:

If my Group 1 (which I suppressed) was State and my Group 2 was City,
Glendale AZ and Glendale CA would not be grouped together because the sort
criteria put the records in the following order: A-Z of Arizona, then A-Z of
California. Phoenix (and any other city after Glendale in AZ) and  Fresno
(and any other city before Glendale in CA) would come between them.  Only if
the sort criteria was just City would the two Glendale's be grouped
together.

Quote:
> Records are still being grouped by group 1 even though I have used
> parameters to suppress it. The header and footer have been hidden but
> records still grouping! Can anyone help? Cheers

Sun, 21 Aug 2005 02:19:48 GMT
 Stopping data from being grouped by Group 1 when that group is suppressed
Larry,
    You've got the right idea about the grouping being variable.  What can
be done is to create a formula field that checks the parameter(s).  Using
your example of city and state, I created a formula field that checks my
parameter and returns the field on which I would like to group:  If
{?parameter} = "City" then {table.city} else {table.state}.  Change Group1
so that it groups on the formula field instead of the state field.  If you
enter "state" as the parameter value, it will group by state and then by
city.  If you enter "city" as the parameter value it will group by city and
then by city again (having no additional effect).  You can still suppress
the group1 header when the parameter value is "city".

Bob Holmes

Quote:
> I don't think your problem is grouping per se, I think your report is
still
> sorting by whatever is defined as group 1.  Maybe your sort criteria needs
> to be variable as well.

> Consider the following:

> If my Group 1 (which I suppressed) was State and my Group 2 was City,
> Glendale AZ and Glendale CA would not be grouped together because the sort
> criteria put the records in the following order: A-Z of Arizona, then A-Z
of
> California. Phoenix (and any other city after Glendale in AZ) and  Fresno
> (and any other city before Glendale in CA) would come between them.  Only
if
> the sort criteria was just City would the two Glendale's be grouped
> together.

> > Records are still being grouped by group 1 even though I have used
> > parameters to suppress it. The header and footer have been hidden but
> > records still grouping! Can anyone help? Cheers

Sun, 21 Aug 2005 03:09:47 GMT
 Stopping data from being grouped by Group 1 when that group is suppressed
Thanks, that is something to work with. However, is it possible to
sort data based on the parameters e.g. so that ALL cities would be
grouped together when group 1 (State) was suppressed. When I suppress
a group I want it to have the same effect as removing the group
altogether. Thanks for your help. Is this possible?
Quote:

> I don't think your problem is grouping per se, I think your report is still
> sorting by whatever is defined as group 1.  Maybe your sort criteria needs
> to be variable as well.

> Consider the following:

> If my Group 1 (which I suppressed) was State and my Group 2 was City,
> Glendale AZ and Glendale CA would not be grouped together because the sort
> criteria put the records in the following order: A-Z of Arizona, then A-Z of
> California. Phoenix (and any other city after Glendale in AZ) and  Fresno
> (and any other city before Glendale in CA) would come between them.  Only if
> the sort criteria was just City would the two Glendale's be grouped
> together.

> > Records are still being grouped by group 1 even though I have used
> > parameters to suppress it. The header and footer have been hidden but
> > records still grouping! Can anyone help? Cheers

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:18:28 GMT
 Stopping data from being grouped by Group 1 when that group is suppressed
You can't really suppress the group, you are suppressing the group header or
footer field so that the information in it is not displayed.  I just tried
what I suggested in my post from March 4 and it works exactly as you are
requesting it to.  If it is not working for you, post back and tell us what
it is or is not doing.

Bob Holmes

Quote:
> Thanks, that is something to work with. However, is it possible to
> sort data based on the parameters e.g. so that ALL cities would be
> grouped together when group 1 (State) was suppressed. When I suppress
> a group I want it to have the same effect as removing the group
> altogether. Thanks for your help. Is this possible?

Quote:
> > I don't think your problem is grouping per se, I think your report is
still
> > sorting by whatever is defined as group 1.  Maybe your sort criteria
needs
> > to be variable as well.

> > Consider the following:

> > If my Group 1 (which I suppressed) was State and my Group 2 was City,
> > Glendale AZ and Glendale CA would not be grouped together because the
sort
> > criteria put the records in the following order: A-Z of Arizona, then
A-Z of
> > California. Phoenix (and any other city after Glendale in AZ) and
Fresno
> > (and any other city before Glendale in CA) would come between them.
Only if
> > the sort criteria was just City would the two Glendale's be grouped
> > together.

> > > Records are still being grouped by group 1 even though I have used
> > > parameters to suppress it. The header and footer have been hidden but
> > > records still grouping! Can anyone help? Cheers

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:53:24 GMT

1. Suppressing Groups but the records are still grouped

2. Grouping Tool Windows: tab group or tiled group

3. stopping suppressed groups from being totaled?

4. This group or VB group for VBDOS?

5. creating a program group and group items

6. Program Group within a Group in Win 3.1

7. Program Group within a Group in Win 3.1

8. Help- Getting groups and contents of groups in ProgMan

9. help Adding a Domain group to a Local Group

10. Enumerate users and groups that belong to a group

11. VB script: adding AD group to local administrators group

12. Adding multiple users or groups to local groups