IS NULL vs = NULL - ODBC Drivers
Author Message
 IS NULL vs = NULL - ODBC Drivers

I have a VB6 Appl. connecting to a Sybase 12.5 Database VIA ODBC.  I have
several reports that use the isnull statement.  When I use this and run a
report, no data is retrieved, however, if I switch the syntax to = null, it
works.

Can anyone explain why this might occur and how the ODBC Driver may
influence this?

Thanks.

Thu, 27 May 2004 08:46:25 GMT
 IS NULL vs = NULL - ODBC Drivers
I have no answer, but the same problem. Im also working
with a sybase database 11.9 and I used in my Stored
Procedures "!= null".  My VB application and CR didnot
work.

When I use "is not null" in my SP, the problems in VB and
CR dissappeared.  I dont know why.

Success,

Andrew

Quote:

Mon, 31 May 2004 18:56:37 GMT
 IS NULL vs = NULL - ODBC Drivers
Hi,

Never use = or <> NULL, because is not a value but NULL.
You must use   IS NUL    and      IS NOT NULL.

Best regards

Quote:
> I have a VB6 Appl. connecting to a Sybase 12.5 Database VIA ODBC.  I have
> several reports that use the isnull statement.  When I use this and run a
> report, no data is retrieved, however, if I switch the syntax to = null,
it
> works.

> Can anyone explain why this might occur and how the ODBC Driver may
> influence this?

> Thanks.

Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:40:16 GMT
 IS NULL vs = NULL - ODBC Drivers
If a field is NULL then any test for Field = value will return a NULL
result,
even if the value in the test is NULL.  Sounds strange, but the mathematics
make it that way.

I have no answer, but the same problem. Im also working
with a sybase database 11.9 and I used in my Stored
Procedures "!= null".  My VB application and CR didnot
work.

When I use "is not null" in my SP, the problems in VB and
CR dissappeared.  I dont know why.

Success,

Andrew

Quote:

Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:50:13 GMT

1. Null Null Null!!!!!!!!!

2. Null, Null, Null!

3. double null question [2 * Null = Null] !!!

4. Alter Table with NULL/NOT NULL options

5. Null = Null Not Working ?

6. Null = Null error

7. null in vb and null in sql7

8. null not null

9. When is Null not Null

10. How can I pass NULL value to WinAPI which is expecting a NULL pointer

11. To Null, or not to Null...?

12. Sending null strings and NULL values