Recordset.[id] vs Recordset![id] what is the difference
Author Message
 Recordset.[id] vs Recordset![id] what is the difference

does anyone know the difference here ?  "." "!"

WHERE Prod_Order.[ord_id] = datOrder.Recordset![ord_id]

Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recordset.[id] vs Recordset![id] what is the difference

In SQL syntax, there is no ! ("bang") operator, but in VB you have both.

For VB ONLY:
The ! ("bang") operator forces an early-binding to occur, which means that
compiler is going to do some work for you before run-time, saving execution
speed.  You can't always do that though.

The best example of this would be an RDO connection with a populated
rdoQueries collection.

' example of early-binding with ! ("bang") syntax
cnRDO.rdoQueries!MyQuery(parm1, parm2)

In my understanding, though, the . ("dot") operator, leaves references to be
resolved at run-time, a.k.a. late-binding.  This is most typical of As
Object variables, where VB5 can't give its Intellisense listing of methods
and properties.  This forces a slight hit at run time for the dynamic
look-up, and can get very expensive in tight loops.

Quote:

>does anyone know the difference here ?  "." "!"

>WHERE Prod_Order.[ord_id] = datOrder.Recordset![ord_id]

Tue, 17 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Recordset.[id] vs Recordset![id] what is the difference

2. Recordset.[id] vs Recordset![id] what is the difference

3. Program ID vs. Task ID

4. Disabling Outlook 2000 Menu Items - Finding Control ID, IDs, ID's

5. edit a record using recordset passing an Employee ID

6. Match Recordset on ID# PROBLEM!!!!!!

7. How to retrieve the ID from a Recordset

8. How do I retreive autonumber ID's from an ADO recordset after .addnew

9. function myfunction(id, sortby) As Recordset

10. Returning ID from SQL through ADO recordset

11. Resultset vs Recordset - Whats the difference?

12. How to extract ContactItem entry id from the AddressEntry entry id