Crystal and ODBC DSN/DSN-less connections - do I need USER DSN or SYSTEM DSN
Author Message
 Crystal and ODBC DSN/DSN-less connections - do I need USER DSN or SYSTEM DSN

Hi.

I am involved in writing a lot of VB5 code for an application that uses
Crystal Reports as the report engine. I've been told by the Crystal
developer that CR needs a DSN (it can't be DSN-less) to be created in order
for crystal to access the ODBC data source.

using VB (and RDO) I could call a built-in function to register a DSN.
However, I believe this only creates a "User DSN", not a "SYSTEM DSN". I may
need to use a Win32API call to create a system DSN.

Our app will be running on Windows 95/Windows NT 4 workstation.

Can somebody tell me if A) CR can use DSN-less connections (via an .INI
file?), or if we use DSNs, does it have to be a SYSTEM DSN or will a USER
DSN do?

Thanks.

--
Alastair Cameron

Tue, 30 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal and ODBC DSN/DSN-less connections - do I need USER DSN or SYSTEM DSN

Quote:

> Hi.

> I am involved in writing a lot of VB5 code for an application that uses
> crystal reports as the report engine. I've been told by the Crystal
> developer that CR needs a DSN (it can't be DSN-less) to be created in order
> for crystal to access the ODBC data source.

> using VB (and RDO) I could call a built-in function to register a DSN.
> However, I believe this only creates a "User DSN", not a "SYSTEM DSN". I may
> need to use a Win32API call to create a system DSN.

> Our app will be running on Windows 95/Windows NT 4 workstation.

> Can somebody tell me if A) CR can use DSN-less connections (via an .INI
> file?), or if we use DSNs, does it have to be a SYSTEM DSN or will a USER
> DSN do?

> Thanks.

> --
> Alastair Cameron

Hi Alastair,

I am going under the assumption you are using MS SQL Server for the database.
If you are using the Professional version of Crystal Reports, you can use Native
SQL Server driver instead of the ODBC driver.  This will allow you to create a
DSN-less connection.

If you do decide to go and use ODBC, Crystal can use either System or User
datasources.  Crystal cannot use File datasources.

--
Sincerely,
Brian Dong

To reply, remove nospam from the address.

Wed, 31 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. which Dsn(Data Source Name) is Faster System DSN Or File DSN

2. performance different between DSN to DSN-Less Connection

3. DSN vs DSN-less connections

4. System DSN vs File DSN for Crystal Repots Printing

5. Connect SQL-SERVER via File DSN or DSN LESS

6. DSN/ DSN-Less Conenction

7. DSN/ DSN-Less Conenction

8. VB6/SQL6.5/MTS - DSN or DSN-LESS?.

9. DSN versus DSN-less

10. Need DSN'less connection to Client Access ODBC Driver

11. DSN System or DSN File ?

12. Creating a system dsn or file dsn