CR 8 print engine speed 
Author Message
 CR 8 print engine speed

Hi all,
Seagate claims that the print engine of CR8 is lighter and faster (they
say up to times faster).
Anyone notice that improvement when they swithed to CR 8?

We find the printing of a report to be very slow.

All our reports are done with CR6.
Our software is all written in C++.
We address all our calls thru the API.
We run small queries on a small Acess database.
The database is only use for reporting purpose. We have many
subreports, thus decided to not use ttx files.
Profiling our software showed us that:
  - 20% of processing time is used to fill the database
  - 80% of processing time is used by the print engine (Open report,
etc)
It seems that a lot of time is taken to load libraries (we have many).
The option "verify databasse" is off.

Any clue someone to speed up the process?

Is it worth it to swith to CR8?

And finally, is it painless to upgrade from CR 6 to 8?

TIA,

Paul

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.



Sat, 22 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 CR 8 print engine speed
Dear Paul,
see my comments below.


Quote:
> Hi all,
> Seagate claims that the print engine of CR8 is lighter and faster (they
> say up to times faster).
> Anyone notice that improvement when they swithed to CR 8?

We did notice a small difference, I think it is because the new dlls are
smaller: thus faster to load.

Quote:
> We find the printing of a report to be very slow.

> All our reports are done with CR6.
> Our software is all written in C++.
> We address all our calls thru the API.

I guess you meant that you link with CR c++ libraries.

Quote:
> We run small queries on a small Acess database.
> The database is only use for reporting purpose. We have many
> subreports, thus decided to not use ttx files.
> Profiling our software showed us that:
>   - 20% of processing time is used to fill the database
>   - 80% of processing time is used by the print engine (Open report,
> etc)
> It seems that a lot of time is taken to load libraries (we have many).
> The option "verify databasse" is off.

> Any clue someone to speed up the process?

If you search for speed in the newsgroup archives, you will find many
topics, but few answers.
My question would be: Is there a good alternative to CR for a C++
enviroment?

Quote:
> Is it worth it to swith to CR8?

> And finally, is it painless to upgrade from CR 6 to 8?

We did not had lots of problem to go from 7 to 8.

Quote:
> TIA,

> Paul

HTH Pat
Quote:

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.



Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 CR 8 print engine speed
Pat,
It seems that you were right!
I didn't get any answers. And I searched the archives: nothing relevant.

Need for speed... Anyboday, please help.

-Paul



Quote:
> Dear Paul,
> see my comments below.



> > Hi all,
> > Seagate claims that the print engine of CR8 is lighter and faster
(they
> > say up to times faster).
> > Anyone notice that improvement when they swithed to CR 8?

> We did notice a small difference, I think it is because the new dlls
are
> smaller: thus faster to load.

> > We find the printing of a report to be very slow.

> > All our reports are done with CR6.
> > Our software is all written in C++.
> > We address all our calls thru the API.

> I guess you meant that you link with CR c++ libraries.

> > We run small queries on a small Acess database.
> > The database is only use for reporting purpose. We have many
> > subreports, thus decided to not use ttx files.
> > Profiling our software showed us that:
> >   - 20% of processing time is used to fill the database
> >   - 80% of processing time is used by the print engine (Open report,
> > etc)
> > It seems that a lot of time is taken to load libraries (we have
many).
> > The option "verify databasse" is off.

> > Any clue someone to speed up the process?

> If you search for speed in the newsgroup archives, you will find many
> topics, but few answers.
> My question would be: Is there a good alternative to CR for a C++
> enviroment?

> > Is it worth it to swith to CR8?

> > And finally, is it painless to upgrade from CR 6 to 8?

> We did not had lots of problem to go from 7 to 8.

> > TIA,

> > Paul

> HTH Pat

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.


Tue, 01 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. CR Print Engine V6 API - Report's parameters

2. CR Engine Obj Lib vs CR Designer Component Obj Model

3. Best Database Engine for Speed

4. Speeding up the MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP engine

5. Disabled print button in preview of .rpt file called using print engine

6. Help: Using the Print Engine to print to a parent window

7. CR 7.0 and INFORMIX Engine

8. CR Engine API - Error when calling PEOpenEngine()

9. CR "SPEED"

10. Performance/speed of CR ?

11. Speed, Speed, and Speed!

12. Speed Speed Speed - Cutting down on wasted cycles

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software