CR RDC-6 vs RDC-8
Author Message
 CR RDC-6 vs RDC-8

Greetings

I've dusted off some VB3 code for a project that a customer uses and wants
up-graded. I'm re-doing it using VB6. This project uses a lot of reports. In
VB3, of course, I used the bundled CR VBX and a folder full of RPT files.

I have the RDC (CR6) that Seagate gave away during VB5 <for us to beta test
:-) > but I've never used it. I played with it a little but I'm planning on
using it in this up-grade project. As I'm getting to the development of the
reports section stage I would like to get some opinions from anyone who
happened to run the CR6 RDC through it's hoops when it came out.
Is it as good as Seagate says it is?
Is using the OCX better or worse?

Additionally if there is anyone who is has used CR6 RDC and upgraded to CR8
RDC:
Is the CR8 RDC a marked improvement over CR6?
Is it really worth the $$ to upgrade to CR8?

Finally, anyone but me PO'd at not getting CR bundled with VB6?
I'd have CR8 if it had been and not be looking for justification to spend
someone else's money.

--
Dave Keighan

Wed, 23 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 CR RDC-6 vs RDC-8
A version of CR is bundled with VB6. It's just not obvious, but it is there
on the cd.

--
Paul Durdin

Quote:

> Greetings

> I've dusted off some VB3 code for a project that a customer uses and wants
> up-graded. I'm re-doing it using VB6. This project uses a lot of reports.
In
> VB3, of course, I used the bundled CR VBX and a folder full of RPT files.

> I have the RDC (CR6) that Seagate gave away during VB5 <for us to beta
test
> :-) > but I've never used it. I played with it a little but I'm planning
on
> using it in this up-grade project. As I'm getting to the development of
the
> reports section stage I would like to get some opinions from anyone who
> happened to run the CR6 RDC through it's hoops when it came out.
> Is it as good as Seagate says it is?
> Is using the OCX better or worse?

> Additionally if there is anyone who is has used CR6 RDC and upgraded to
CR8
> RDC:
> Is the CR8 RDC a marked improvement over CR6?
> Is it really worth the $$ to upgrade to CR8?

> Finally, anyone but me PO'd at not getting CR bundled with VB6?
> I'd have CR8 if it had been and not be looking for justification to spend
> someone else's money.

> --
> Dave Keighan

Thu, 24 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 CR RDC-6 vs RDC-8

Quote:

> A version of CR is bundled with VB6. It's just not obvious,
> but it is there on the cd.

Thanks for the response Paul I have the OCX version from the CD as well. For
this project I was hoping to delve into the Report Design Component <not
bundled with VB6 - but will be with VB7> and was primarily wondering about
problems people were having and if moving up to CR8 solved any of them

--
Dave Keighan
Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Search button woes with RDC CR Viewer

2. CR 7 RDC Graph HELP URGENT

3. CR 8.5 - RDC - Package and Deployment Wizard Errors

4. CR 8 ASP and RDC demo

5. RDC not installed with CR 7.0

6. UnboundEx vs Bound RDC

7. RDC vs Dbgrid

8. CRW 7 Automation Server Engine vs RDC

9. RDC vs API

10. RDC 8.5 in XP vs. 98

11. RDC vs Dbgrid

12. RDC vs Dbgrid