Slow reporting
Author Message
 Slow reporting

I have an application written in VB5ent-SP3 running on a NT4-WX-SP3.
For reporting I use Crystal Report Professional 6 (6.0.6.135).

Well my problem is the incredible slow reporting over an MDB database
with 60000 records.
The file MDB is stored on a network  file server and when I run any
query for my application (hard coded in Visual Basic) I get the result
in 15 seconds, but when I ask the same query in report format  via
Crystal Reports I get the preview or the printed document after  3-4
minutes.
Is that right? I don't believe: anything is wrong, but what?

Thanks for replying.

Ciao,
   Giovanni

---

To reply please remove 'INGO'.
---

Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow reporting
Hi, what I would do in such a case is creating a temp table identical to the
one you are retrieving the records from. Now run trhe query in VB and fill
the temptable with the result. Next point crystal report to that table for
faster execution of yuor report
Vincent

Quote:
> I have an application written in VB5ent-SP3 running on a NT4-WX-SP3.
> For reporting I use Crystal Report Professional 6 (6.0.6.135).

> Well my problem is the incredible slow reporting over an MDB database
> with 60000 records.
> The file MDB is stored on a network  file server and when I run any
> query for my application (hard coded in Visual Basic) I get the result
> in 15 seconds, but when I ask the same query in report format  via
> Crystal Reports I get the preview or the printed document after  3-4
> minutes.
> Is that right? I don't believe: anything is wrong, but what?

> Thanks for replying.

> Ciao,
>    Giovanni

> ---

> To reply please remove 'INGO'.
> ---

Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow reporting
I am experiencing the same problem with a FoxPro database. My understanding
is that SCR ignores the CDX index tags and searches thru all the records. I
can't believe this is true but I have not found otherwise. My clipper
program finds the records I want instantly in a file with nearly 2mil
records but Crystal takes about two hours. Any tips appreciated.

THANX

Quote:
> I have an application written in VB5ent-SP3 running on a NT4-WX-SP3.
> For reporting I use Crystal Report Professional 6 (6.0.6.135).

> Well my problem is the incredible slow reporting over an MDB database
> with 60000 records.
> The file MDB is stored on a network  file server and when I run any
> query for my application (hard coded in Visual Basic) I get the result
> in 15 seconds, but when I ask the same query in report format  via
> Crystal Reports I get the preview or the printed document after  3-4
> minutes.
> Is that right? I don't believe: anything is wrong, but what?

> Thanks for replying.

> Ciao,
>    Giovanni

> ---

> To reply please remove 'INGO'.
> ---

Sat, 24 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow reporting
The Client/Server Solution!:  You should use the Automation Server that was
available with Crystal Report 6.    When you query a database from a file
server,
the server does what it's suppose to do - serve you the file.  The query is
then
executed by your app, on your machine.  Even if you wanted just the first
record
from a table, the entire file would be sent over the network.  The
Automation
Server implements a C/S database approach.  This means that the Automation
Server must be running on the file server.  Your app (the client) will send
request (the query)  to the database server.  The server will run the query
and
return only the records of the resultset.

If for some reason, you don't have the Automation Server, there are two
things
you can try:

1)  Create your own pseudo client/server.  Write a VB app that will always
be
     running on the file server.  This app should process your queries and
create
     a new database (file) with the resultset(s).  It would be a good idea
to name
     this output file with the User/Station-name of the requestor.  This
will allow
     for multiple users to send requests.
        A)   If the result file is "created" by this server, then you know
processing is
              complete when you see the non zero-length file.  You should
then "MOVE"
              (or Copy&/Delete) this file to your local machine,  then do
your reporting
              locally.
        B)  If your design is to have the server Delete/Add records to a
database
              file that must remain on the file server, then you will need
to have some
              kind of indicator to signal when your request(s)  are
complete.
              * In this scenario, the server should always 'compact' the
output database,
               especially when it comes to .mdb files.
2)  If there's no way for you to run a program on the file server, ...
        and if the data is fairly static for your reporting purposes, ...
        then  copy the file onto your local drive and process it from there.
        ***  If the original file is fairly small, this might actually be
your best option.

:-)   I figured all this out a couple of years ago, when on a nightly basis,
I needed to
      look at about 50 records in an .mdb file with >300,000 records ...
      ... OVER THE PHONE LINE!!!

GOOD LUCK, and have Fun with it!

Quote:

>I am experiencing the same problem with a FoxPro database. My understanding
>is that SCR ignores the CDX index tags and searches thru all the records. I
>can't believe this is true but I have not found otherwise. My clipper
>program finds the records I want instantly in a file with nearly 2mil
>records but Crystal takes about two hours. Any tips appreciated.

>THANX

>> I have an application written in VB5ent-SP3 running on a NT4-WX-SP3.
>> For reporting I use Crystal Report Professional 6 (6.0.6.135).

>> Well my problem is the incredible slow reporting over an MDB database
>> with 60000 records.
>> The file MDB is stored on a network  file server and when I run any
>> query for my application (hard coded in Visual Basic) I get the result
>> in 15 seconds, but when I ask the same query in report format  via
>> Crystal Reports I get the preview or the printed document after  3-4
>> minutes.
>> Is that right? I don't believe: anything is wrong, but what?

>> Thanks for replying.

>> Ciao,
>>    Giovanni

>> ---

>> To reply please remove 'INGO'.
>> ---

Wed, 28 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. very slow report

2. Fix for slow report load

3. Slow reporting

4. Slow Reports... How do I speed them up?

5. Slow, slow, slow search on VB6, ADO and SS7

6. VB4 is slow..slow....slow

7. Insert into SQL Server slow, slow, slow...

8. Report Generator: Slow and Huge

9. slow printing from Crystal Reports

10. Cristal Report is so slow!

11. Very slow printing of VB and Access reports under Win NT

12. Crystal Report running slow off a view