"Crystal Reports" vs "Access Reports"
Author Message
 "Crystal Reports" vs "Access Reports"

Does anyone have any information on the differences between database
reporting using Crystal Reports vs MS Access 7.0 reports?  What features
does Access have that CR does not and vise versa?  Which is more flexible?
Which is easier to use?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Eric Isaacs, MCP

Tue, 30 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 "Crystal Reports" vs "Access Reports"
I have used each for a short time. And my concolusion is: If I will develope
an application for my company, I'd rather use Access. But when it comes to
commercial software, then you have no choice. :-(

I found Crystal Report more tedious than Access. It's non-intuitive inteface
and different language contribute to the impression. For example, it doesn't
have a Select All function. And I still don't know how to use a subreport
which links to the main report in RDC for VB5. It just doesn't work!

On the contrary, Access has given me a more fluent and happy experience. It
can deal with .mdb and ODBC datasource effeciently. The creation of the
report is intuitive. The tools are powerful and suffecient. And you can even
use a 16-bit program to control it through OLE!

Hope this can help,
Raymond

Quote:

>Does anyone have any information on the differences between database
>reporting using Crystal Reports vs MS Access 7.0 reports?  What features
>does Access have that CR does not and vise versa?  Which is more flexible?
>Which is easier to use?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

>Eric Isaacs, MCP

Tue, 30 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 "Crystal Reports" vs "Access Reports"
There is a choice.  ActiveReports from Data Dynamics
http://www.datadynamics.com if a fully integrated report designer for VB5.
It is very similar to Access Reports and has the following features
    Data Sources: DAO, RDO, ADO, and unbound mode
    SubReports (nested)
    RichEdit control
    Label, Text, Image, OLE Objects, ActiveX controls, ...
    Small runtime engine (~800KB)
    ActiveX Viewer control and Java applet

Issam

Quote:

>I have used each for a short time. And my concolusion is: If I will
develope
>an application for my company, I'd rather use Access. But when it comes to
>commercial software, then you have no choice. :-(

>I found Crystal Report more tedious than Access. It's non-intuitive
inteface
>and different language contribute to the impression. For example, it
doesn't
>have a Select All function. And I still don't know how to use a subreport
>which links to the main report in RDC for VB5. It just doesn't work!

>On the contrary, Access has given me a more fluent and happy experience. It
>can deal with .mdb and ODBC datasource effeciently. The creation of the
>report is intuitive. The tools are powerful and suffecient. And you can
even
>use a 16-bit program to control it through OLE!

>Hope this can help,
>Raymond

>>Does anyone have any information on the differences between database
>>reporting using Crystal Reports vs MS Access 7.0 reports?  What features
>>does Access have that CR does not and vise versa?  Which is more flexible?
>>Which is easier to use?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

>>Eric Isaacs, MCP

Thu, 01 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 "Crystal Reports" vs "Access Reports"
It doesn't matter anymore because VB6 now has DataReports that will build
the reports right in the exe without have all those Crystal .rpt files all
over and no more Access OLE.
Quote:

>Does anyone have any information on the differences between database
>reporting using Crystal Reports vs MS Access 7.0 reports?  What features
>does Access have that CR does not and vise versa?  Which is more flexible?
>Which is easier to use?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

>Eric Isaacs, MCP

Thu, 01 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 "Crystal Reports" vs "Access Reports"
And if you need more power and flexibility than the Data Reporter then Step
up to ActiveReports from Data Dynamics.

--

Data Dynamics - http://www.datadynamics.com
Control Yourself

Quote:
>It doesn't matter anymore because VB6 now has DataReports that will build
>the reports right in the exe without have all those Crystal .rpt files all
>over and no more Access OLE.

>>Does anyone have any information on the differences between database
>>reporting using Crystal Reports vs MS Access 7.0 reports?  What features
>>does Access have that CR does not and vise versa?  Which is more flexible?
>>Which is easier to use?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

>>Eric Isaacs, MCP

Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Crystal Reports "Cannot Find Report."

2. Crystal Reports "Load report failed"

3. Crystal Reports "Report Designer Component"

4. *"*-.,._,.-*"* I"LL TRADE VISUAL C++ FOR VBASIC *"*-.,_,.-*"*

5. Crystal Reports "Unable to open database"

6. Crystal Reports "keep together"

7. reports("template").report.recordsource HELP

8. Crystal Report install "instmsiw.exe" error

9. "Crystal report 4.6 "

10. Crystal Report "unable to open database"

11. Help-"Error5-Logon Failed"-HELP PLease!!!!!!-Crystal Report

12. Report deployment, runtime, "load report failed"