ActiveX Control (Not showing)
Author Message
 ActiveX Control (Not showing)

Sorry for the cross posts but I really need an answer to this question.

I've created a very simple ActiveX control, only one command button, on two
Windows 98 machines. When I run the code only the Initialize and Terminate
Fire. Basically the control Initializes and then Terminates right away. The
code works fine on my XP machine and fires all the proper events what could
be the sudden cause of this problem? Running the code just leaves a small
white square in the top left corner of Internet Explorer. Thanks for
anyone's help.

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 05:41:26 GMT
 ActiveX Control (Not showing)

Quote:
> When I run the code only the Initialize and Terminate
> Fire. Basically the control Initializes and then Terminates right
> away.

Is there any code that can fail in the Initialize event?

--
Eduardo A. Morcillo (MS MVP)
http://www.domaindlx.com/e_morcillo

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 06:23:58 GMT
 ActiveX Control (Not showing)
The only code I have in any of these EVENTS is

Debug.print "Event name"

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:59:09 GMT
 ActiveX Control (Not showing)
Compile the code on one of your W98 machines.

VB code compiled on XP may become dependent on later versions of various
system dlls and fail in strange ways without them (usually these are
automation errors, but others are possible).

I posted this suggestion yesterday, too.  Did you try it?

No error message, eh: do you have error-handling?  It is always advisable,
even in what seem like trivial routines.

Jim Deutch
MS Dev MVP

Quote:
> Sorry for the cross posts but I really need an answer to this question.

> I've created a very simple ActiveX control, only one command button, on
two
> Windows 98 machines. When I run the code only the Initialize and Terminate
> Fire. Basically the control Initializes and then Terminates right away.
The
> code works fine on my XP machine and fires all the proper events what
could
> be the sudden cause of this problem? Running the code just leaves a small
> white square in the top left corner of Internet Explorer. Thanks for
> anyone's help.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 01:19:21 GMT
 ActiveX Control (Not showing)
Already tried that, sorry if I didn't post that. Even with a very basic User
(ActiveX) I can't get it to display in IE, opens and then just shows the
page. The UserControl with only one button on it is firing the Initialize
Events followed directly by the Terminate event. I have a feeling there is a
bad DLL on the machine myself but I don't have a clue where to start
looking.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:21:32 GMT
 ActiveX Control (Not showing)
Urg.  How about if you compile to p-code?

For bad dlls, I'd look at oleaut32, olepro32 and comcat first.  Those are my
"usual suspects".  The 4.71.xxx versions of comcat seem the most reliable:
so far I haven't found any situation where replacing more recent (and
smaller!) versions with one of those made anything worse...

Jim Deutch
MS Dev MVP

Quote:
> Already tried that, sorry if I didn't post that. Even with a very basic
User
> (ActiveX) I can't get it to display in IE, opens and then just shows the
> page. The UserControl with only one button on it is firing the Initialize
> Events followed directly by the Terminate event. I have a feeling there is
> bad DLL on the machine myself but I don't have a clue where to start
> looking.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:56:24 GMT
 ActiveX Control (Not showing)
PROBLEM SOLVED
1) Caused UserControl EVENTS to not FIRE PROPERLY (Initialize and then
Terminate)
2) WIN FAX Error (faxmng32 caused an invalid page fault in module rpcrt4.dll
at 015f:70140885)
3) Internet Links that opened new windows would open blank windows

RESOLUTION
Uninstall Internet Explorer (Re Install Internet Explorer 5.5)

Really think that Microsoft should document this one though. From what I can
tell it's just another case of "DLL HELL". After doing a complete rebuild on
one of my Windows 98 machines, I slowly added new drivers and software until
I could re-create the problems that I was having (Basically the UserControl
Events not firing), Anyway after a re-install of Internet Explorer 5.5 the
problem was solved. I've narrowed it down to a couple of DLL's that might be
the problem.

Running on a Windows 98 Machine
shdocvw.dll  VERSION 6.0.2712.300
shdoccl.dll    VERSION 6.0.2712.300
shdoc401.dll  ?

I hope to have the time this weekend to finish testing these drivers by
crashing my machine with them but until then this is as far as I have
gotten. One quick question though, How am I suppose to replace and register
Shdocvw.dll?  I need to do it in windows because it won't let me do it in
DOS and if I try doing it while windows is running I get a "SHARE ERROR"
Thanks for everyone's help

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:22:52 GMT

1. MS Calendar ActiveX Control not shown up

2. ActiveX Control (Not showing)

3. ActiveX Control Update not showing for client

4. Creating ActiveX Control Problem: Picture not showing up in VB

5. ActiveX component not showing up

6. ActiveX Server will not show form

7. why a form can not be show when this form in an ActiveX DLL

8. VB4-32 does not show my ActiveX icon

9. Hide / Show a ActiveX Control

10. Showing a dropdown of datamembers in an ActiveX control

11. activex controls show form

12. How to show the property window from my activex control in run time