Custom ActiveX Control Doesn't Show in Other Computer's Browsers
Author Message
 Custom ActiveX Control Doesn't Show in Other Computer's Browsers

I created a custom ActiveX component in VB 5.  I compiled it into an ocx
file.
I placed my custom control into an index.htm page.
I used VB Setup Wizard to create an Internet Download package -- cab files,
etc.
I placed both the index.htm page and the Internet Download files onto the
Web Server.
When I browse the index.htm file from another computer, using IE 3.02, the
browser downloads the files and installs them (setting the Safety level
temporarily to 'None').
The proper messages appear....it also downloads the dependent Microsoft
controls from the Microsoft site...with Certificates and all.
However, the ActiveX control does not show -- there is not a trace of it....
just empty space.
I checked the index.htm file - it has the <object> tags with the proper
CLSID.
I checked the Registry -- it shows the control (with CLSID) to be installed.
All of the dependent DLL's seem to be where they are supposed to be.
On my computer (with all of the VB development environment installed),
the custom ActiveX component shows and works fine when I browse the
index.htm file on the Web Server.
All of this is on Windows 95 with MS Internet Explorer.
This is nice technology....but very frustrating when you can't get it to
work.
Any help would be appreciated....Thanks...Dave

Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Custom ActiveX Control Doesn't Show in Other Computer's Browsers

Quote:
> I created a custom ActiveX component in VB 5.  I compiled it into an ocx
> file..
> When I browse the index.htm file from another computer, using IE 3.02,
the
> browser downloads the files and installs them (setting the Safety level
> temporarily to 'None').
> However, the ActiveX control does not show -- there is not a trace of
it....
> just empty space.
> I checked the index.htm file - it has the <object> tags with the proper
> CLSID.
> I checked the Registry -- it shows the control (with CLSID) to be
installed.
> All of the dependent DLL's seem to be where they are supposed to be.
> On my computer (with all of the VB development environment installed),
> the custom ActiveX component shows and works fine when I browse the
> index.htm file on the Web Server.
> All of this is on Windows 95 with MS Internet Explorer.

It's simple.... Active X (controls or documents) just DO NOT WORK.  This is
why you won't get an answer from anyone in this ng, or from Microsoft.  It
just ain't a-working.

I challenge ANYONE to prove me wrong (post a web address to an Active Hex
site - I'll turn down my security levels and trust you - I'll betcha it
still won't work!)

Not a flippant reply, but a response based on a year of wasted effort.

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Custom ActiveX Control Doesn't Show in Other Computer's Browsers

[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.vb.controls.internet and a
copy was sent to the cited author.]

says...

Quote:
> It's simple.... Active X (controls or documents) just DO NOT WORK.  This is
> why you won't get an answer from anyone in this ng, or from Microsoft.  It
> just ain't a-working.

> I challenge ANYONE to prove me wrong (post a web address to an Active Hex
> site - I'll turn down my security levels and trust you - I'll betcha it
> still won't work!)

> Not a flippant reply, but a response based on a year of wasted effort.

The only explanation I can think of for your problem, Frank, is that
you've been dead for years. :)

ActiveX controls embedded on web pages work. What's more, they're easy to
develop, particularly in VB.

Not convinced? Look at the pull-down menu controls on
http://www.msnbc.com or http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/

We've done fairly complex controls (and we had documents, but decided
that they weren't as nice) for internal web sites too, but you can't
access them.

Chris Wuestefeld
Director of Technology
Software House Enterprise Solutions

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Custom ActiveX Control Doesn't Show in Other Computer's Browsers

Doing some more diagnosing, when browsing the page with the ActiveX control
from another computer, everything works fine if the Visual Basic 5
Development
Environment is already installed on the computer.  If VB5 is not on the
computer,
the ActiveX control does not show.

I believe this means that the VB Setup Wizard for Internet Downloads is not
picking up some important system files (dlls, etc.).

Does anybody know what system generic files might need to be added to
the dependency files for the internet download ?

The install of VB5 on a computer, I'm surmising, loads these needed files
for VB.

However, the Setup Wizard doesn't seem to pick all of them up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Quote:

>[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.vb.controls.internet and a
>copy was sent to the cited author.]

>says...
>> It's simple.... Active X (controls or documents) just DO NOT WORK.  This
is
>> why you won't get an answer from anyone in this ng, or from Microsoft.
It
>> just ain't a-working.

>> I challenge ANYONE to prove me wrong (post a web address to an Active Hex
>> site - I'll turn down my security levels and trust you - I'll betcha it
>> still won't work!)

>> Not a flippant reply, but a response based on a year of wasted effort.

>The only explanation I can think of for your problem, Frank, is that
>you've been dead for years. :)

>ActiveX controls embedded on web pages work. What's more, they're easy to
>develop, particularly in VB.

>Not convinced? Look at the pull-down menu controls on
>http://www.msnbc.com or http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/

>We've done fairly complex controls (and we had documents, but decided
>that they weren't as nice) for internal web sites too, but you can't
>access them.

>Chris Wuestefeld
>Director of Technology
>Software House Enterprise Solutions

Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Custom ActiveX Control Doesn't Show in Other Computer's Browsers

Quote:

>It's simple.... Active X (controls or documents) just DO NOT WORK.  This is
>why you won't get an answer from anyone in this ng, or from Microsoft.  It
>just ain't a-working.

>I challenge ANYONE to prove me wrong (post a web address to an Active Hex
>site - I'll turn down my security levels and trust you - I'll betcha it
>still won't work!)

>Not a flippant reply, but a response based on a year of wasted effort.

Yeah, you're right... they don't work at all. Never.  Not for anyone.  That
explains why every single one that has asked me if I would allow it to be
installed did show up just fine in my browser.  Yep.

Good thing your answer wasn't flippant.  I wouldn't have known how well
thought out it was if you didn't tell me.

Scott
===============================
Edit the email address to reply

Sun, 01 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Custom ActiveX Control Doesn't Show in Other Computer's Browsers

Quote:

>Doing some more diagnosing, when browsing the page with the ActiveX control
>from another computer, everything works fine if the Visual Basic 5
>Development
>Environment is already installed on the computer.  If VB5 is not on the
>computer,
>the ActiveX control does not show.

Dave, while it may be the case the having VB5 installed helps ensure that
things work as promised, it's definitely not necessary.  I do have VB5
Enterprise Edition installed now, but I've downloaded and used several
controls previous to that (no version of VB5 at all on the pc).

Scott