User Control won't FIRE EVENTS
Author Message
 User Control won't FIRE EVENTS

I created a UserControl (OCX) to run on my web page, every thing has been
working fine for months, until the other night when I uploaded a new
version. On my development machine (Windows XP) the code works fine, but on
my other two windows 98 machines the code is no longer working. upon closer
investigation I've discovered that the User Control is not firing any of
it's Events. On my XP machine the UserControl jump through all the proper
events and then appears.
UserControl_Initialize() THEN UserControl_Show()

On the windows 98 machines on startup it runs
UserControl_Initialize() but will not fire the user Control SHOW Event
,UserControl_Show()

Does anyone have any ideas why all of a sudden my other two machines will
not follow the same life cycle as the development machine? Even if I force
the code into the SHOW event the UserControl will not be displayed. PLEASE
HELP. My users are screaming

Sat, 14 Aug 2004 09:57:10 GMT
 User Control won't FIRE EVENTS

Quote:
> On the windows 98 machines on startup it runs
> UserControl_Initialize() but will not fire the user Control SHOW Event
> ,UserControl_Show()

Is the control signed? Is it registered as safe? The control not showing can
be caused by the IE security settings.

--
Eduardo A. Morcillo (MS MVP)
http://www.domaindlx.com/e_morcillo

Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:44:30 GMT
 User Control won't FIRE EVENTS
The control is Signed and marked as safe.

Quote:
> > On the windows 98 machines on startup it runs
> > UserControl_Initialize() but will not fire the user Control SHOW Event
> > ,UserControl_Show()

> Is the control signed? Is it registered as safe? The control not showing
can
> be caused by the IE security settings.

> --
> Eduardo A. Morcillo (MS MVP)
> http://www.domaindlx.com/e_morcillo

Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:35:26 GMT
 User Control won't FIRE EVENTS
I started a new project and placed several Events in code
Initialize, IntProperties, ReadProperties, Show, Terminatre, WriteProperties

The only EVENTs that will fire when I run the code are Initialize and
Terminate

Even though I have signed the Control and bumped IE security down to
minimum.

Quote:
> The control is Signed and marked as safe.

> > > On the windows 98 machines on startup it runs
> > > UserControl_Initialize() but will not fire the user Control SHOW Event
> > > ,UserControl_Show()

> > Is the control signed? Is it registered as safe? The control not showing
> can
> > be caused by the IE security settings.

> > --
> > Eduardo A. Morcillo (MS MVP)
> > http://www.domaindlx.com/e_morcillo

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:32:23 GMT
 User Control won't FIRE EVENTS
Try compiling it on the W98 machine.  VB apps compiled on the "latest and
greatest" tend to become dependent on updated system files and refuse to
operate correctly on older operating systems.

Jim Deutch
MS Dev MVP

Quote:
> I created a UserControl (OCX) to run on my web page, every thing has been
> working fine for months, until the other night when I uploaded a new
> version. On my development machine (Windows XP) the code works fine, but
on
> my other two windows 98 machines the code is no longer working. upon
closer
> investigation I've discovered that the User Control is not firing any of
> it's Events. On my XP machine the UserControl jump through all the proper
> events and then appears.
> UserControl_Initialize() THEN UserControl_Show()

> On the windows 98 machines on startup it runs
> UserControl_Initialize() but will not fire the user Control SHOW Event
> ,UserControl_Show()

> Does anyone have any ideas why all of a sudden my other two machines will
> not follow the same life cycle as the development machine? Even if I force
> the code into the SHOW event the UserControl will not be displayed. PLEASE
> HELP. My users are screaming

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:07:08 GMT
 User Control won't FIRE EVENTS
PROBLEM SOLVED
1) Caused UserControl EVENTS to not FIRE PROPERLY (Initialize and then
Terminate)
2) WIN FAX Error (faxmng32 caused an invalid page fault in module rpcrt4.dll
at 015f:70140885)
3) Internet Links that opened new windows would open blank windows

RESOLUTION
Uninstall Internet Explorer (Re Install Internet Explorer 5.5)

Really think that Microsoft should document this one though. From what I can
tell it's just another case of "DLL HELL". After doing a complete rebuild on
one of my Windows 98 machines, I slowly added new drivers and software until
I could re-create the problems that I was having (Basically the UserControl
Events not firing), Anyway after a re-install of Internet Explorer 5.5 the
problem was solved. I've narrowed it down to a couple of DLL's that might be
the problem.

Running on a Windows 98 Machine
shdocvw.dll  VERSION 6.0.2712.300
shdoccl.dll    VERSION 6.0.2712.300
shdoc401.dll  ?

I hope to have the time this weekend to finish testing these drivers by
crashing my machine with them but until then this is as far as I have
gotten. One quick question though, How am I suppose to replace and register
Shdocvw.dll?  I need to do it in windows because it won't let me do it in
DOS and if I try doing it while windows is running I get a "SHARE ERROR"
Thanks for everyone's help

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:22:32 GMT

1. Click event won't fire on a user control

2. User Event won't fire.

3. Timer Event won't fire when app doesn't have focus

4. Timer Event won't fire when app doesn't have focus

5. Button events won't fire when editing a cell

6. Inspector Event - Won't Fire Consistently

7. Initialize event won't fire in vbscript v5

8. Why won't the mousedown event fire?

9. UserControl won't fire Events

10. Terminate event won't fire after Unload

11. ActiveX DLL events won't fire when DLL shows Modal Form

12. Multiline Windowless (Lightweight) text box: Change event won't fire