Ascii File FTP Upload Using Inet Control
Author Message
 Ascii File FTP Upload Using Inet Control

Hello all:

I am trying to use the Microsoft Inet Control in VB6 to do Ascii and Binary FTP
uploads and downloads to/from a mainframe FTP site.  I am using the Execute()
method to connect (doing a dummy DIR command) and then PUT and GET to transfer
the files.  How do I control whether it is an Ascii or Binary transfer?  Do I use
OpenURL() in some fashion, as it is the only place on the interface that
specifies Ascii or Binary?

Thanks in adv.,

Paul Spratt
INSI Strategic Technologies
Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA

Tue, 27 May 2003 23:01:12 GMT
 Ascii File FTP Upload Using Inet Control

Quote:

>I am trying to use the Microsoft Inet Control in VB6 to do Ascii and Binary FTP
>uploads and downloads to/from a mainframe FTP site.  I am using the Execute()
>method to connect (doing a dummy DIR command) and then PUT and GET to transfer
>the files.  How do I control whether it is an Ascii or Binary transfer?  Do I use
>OpenURL() in some fashion, as it is the only place on the interface that
>specifies Ascii or Binary?

>Thanks in adv.,

Microsoft's Internet Transfer Control does not support ASCII mode
file transfers. For more information, refer to this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q188/9/56.asp

You may want to take a look out the FTP control in our SocketTools
package. We do support binary and text (both ASCII and EBCDIC) file
transfers, and it is generally considered to be both easier to use
and faster than Microsoft's control. You can download a free
evaluation copy from our website at www.catalyst.com

David

Wed, 28 May 2003 00:24:58 GMT
 Ascii File FTP Upload Using Inet Control
David,

I have evaluated your SocketTools package, and must say that it is
fantastic. However, like some of the other folks that have posted on here, I
was looking to upload (FTP) a couple files in ASCII format, or be able to
monitor my download progress....but at $250 a pop (more than twice as much
as I paid for VB), it's just not an affordable option.

-Evan

Quote:

> >I am trying to use the Microsoft Inet Control in VB6 to do Ascii and
Binary FTP
> >uploads and downloads to/from a mainframe FTP site.  I am using the
Execute()
> >method to connect (doing a dummy DIR command) and then PUT and GET to
transfer
> >the files.  How do I control whether it is an Ascii or Binary transfer?
Do I use
> >OpenURL() in some fashion, as it is the only place on the interface that
> >specifies Ascii or Binary?

> >Thanks in adv.,

> Microsoft's Internet Transfer Control does not support ASCII mode
> file transfers. For more information, refer to this article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q188/9/56.asp

> You may want to take a look out the FTP control in our SocketTools
> package. We do support binary and text (both ASCII and EBCDIC) file
> transfers, and it is generally considered to be both easier to use
> and faster than Microsoft's control. You can download a free
> evaluation copy from our website at www.catalyst.com

> David

Wed, 28 May 2003 07:02:58 GMT

1. forcing inet to use ascii when using ftp?

2. Uploading a file using Inet control with HTTP

3. File Upload using Inet control....

4. Uploading a file using Inet control with HTTP

5. HTTP file upload using inet control

6. File Upload Using HTTP Post w/INET Control

7. Upload a file using Inet control...

8. Uploading a file using Inet control with HTTP

9. File Upload using Inet control....

10. Inet Control - FTP in Ascii ?

11. get unreable text file when using Internet Transfer Control to ftp(get) ascii fi

12. Ftp of ASCII files using Internet transfer Control