How to use an Event between two exec ?
Author Message
 How to use an Event between two exec ?

Hello,

I need to know how to I can make communicate 2 applications.
I have a main application (main.exe) that I launch at the beginning of
Windows.
I would like the to be able to launch another small executable that would
send an event to the main.exe in order that this one reacts.

Thank you in advance.

Arnaud

Mon, 01 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use an Event between two exec ?
You start by not asking in the vb.bugs newsgroup.
Quote:

>Hello,

>I need to know how to I can make communicate 2 applications.
>I have a main application (main.exe) that I launch at the beginning of
>Windows.
>I would like the to be able to launch another small executable that would
>send an event to the main.exe in order that this one reacts.

>Thank you in advance.

>Arnaud

Mon, 01 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use an Event between two exec ?

Quote:
> I need to know how to I can make communicate 2 applications.
> I have a main application (main.exe) that I launch at the beginning of
> Windows.
> I would like the to be able to launch another small executable that would
> send an event to the main.exe in order that this one reacts.

Consider making the small "child" executable an ActiveX server .exe.
Instead of launching the executable using something like Shell, you can
instantiate the server .exe as a new class from your "parent" app.

Jason White
Software Engineer
National Instruments

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X                                                                       X
X Check out ComponentWorks, a collection of ActiveX controls from       X
X National Instruments for PC Measurement and Automation.  Information  X
X and free demo at http://www.natinst.com/cworks/                       X
X                                                                       X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mon, 01 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use an Event between two exec ?
It sounds like your looking for Parent/Child communication. One does all the
work, and just lets the parent know when something significant happens.

There are a number of technologies available that do this. All available
free of charge.

DDE ( old but still works )
ActiveX EXE's ( for short lived soldier apps )
Winsockets ( bi-directional network communication ) ( my favorite )

Look these up. You'll find what you need.

Quote:

>Hello,

>I need to know how to I can make communicate 2 applications.
>I have a main application (main.exe) that I launch at the beginning of
>Windows.
>I would like the to be able to launch another small executable that would
>send an event to the main.exe in order that this one reacts.

>Thank you in advance.

>Arnaud

Mon, 01 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use an Event between two exec ?

Quote:
>Consider making the small "child" executable an ActiveX server .exe.
>Instead of launching the executable using something like Shell, you can
>instantiate the server .exe as a new class from your "parent" app.

And then use 'WithEvents' to have the Events raised.

--
Jeff Law
DataMasta Limited

begin 666 Jeff Law.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..DQA=SM*969F#0I&3CI*969F
M($QA=PT*3U)'.D1A=&%-87-T82!,:6UI=&5D#0I.3U1%.B -"E1%3#M73U)+

`
end

Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use an Event between two exec ?

Quote:
> Hello,

> I need to know how to I can make communicate 2 applications.
> I have a main application (main.exe) that I launch at the beginning of
> Windows.
> I would like the to be able to launch another small executable that would
> send an event to the main.exe in order that this one reacts.

U can either use DDE, TCP/IP (client/server app) or COM (Atleast i think
so:)

DDE and Client/Server examples can be found at my webpage

Regards,
  Jonas
  http://surf.to/VbArea

Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to use an Event between two exec ?

2. How to use an Event between two exec ?

3. How to use an Event between two exec ?

4. How to use an Event between two exec ?

5. How to use an Event between two exec ?

6. Exec ISAPI DLL from ASP (SSI command exec ?)

7. Using onMouseOver with two events

8. Pressing a key produce two events in two different forms

9. Exec. Word VBA Function From Access using VBA

10. Problem using WshShell.Exec

11. using shell to exec dos app and redirect it's output

12. using WshShell.Exec