Pulling Header information BEFORE downloading file??
Author Message
 Pulling Header information BEFORE downloading file??

Hi, I'm using the internet control in VB6, and I'm wondering if there's
any way to   pull the header information for a file WITHOUT first
downloading the file using .openurl or execute.  In this case, I'm going
to be accessing several thousand files via a HTTP protocol, and
depending on whether their last-modified dates are greater than the
dates of files on my hard drive, I will be downloading them to my local
machine.  I know it is possible to use the GETHEADER object on the
internet control to pull this information, and this works fine if I've
already read the file into a byte array using openurl, but I'm trying to
find a way to pull this header information without downloading the whole
file.  I know it can be done easily with the FTP protocol, but for now I
have to use HTTP.  Any help would be much appreciated!

thanks,
-[Peter Cassin]

Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Pulling Header information BEFORE downloading file??

Quote:
> Hi, I'm using the internet control in VB6, and I'm wondering if there's
> any way to   pull the header information for a file WITHOUT first
> downloading the file using .openurl or execute

Call Inet1.OpenURL("http://192.1.1.1")
Debug.Print Inet1.GetHeader

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Pulling Header information BEFORE downloading file??
On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 14:48:53 -0400, Peter Cassin

You can use
   INet1.Execute , "HEAD"

or try a conditional get, i.e.
   Inet1.Execute , "GET", , "If-Modified-Since: " & _
                "Sun, 06 Nov 1994 08:49:37 GMT"

Quote:
>Hi, I'm using the internet control in VB6, and I'm wondering if there's
>any way to   pull the header information for a file WITHOUT first
>downloading the file using .openurl or execute.  In this case, I'm going
>to be accessing several thousand files via a HTTP protocol, and
>depending on whether their last-modified dates are greater than the
>dates of files on my hard drive, I will be downloading them to my local
>machine.  I know it is possible to use the GETHEADER object on the
>internet control to pull this information, and this works fine if I've
>already read the file into a byte array using openurl, but I'm trying to
>find a way to pull this header information without downloading the whole
>file.  I know it can be done easily with the FTP protocol, but for now I
>have to use HTTP.  Any help would be much appreciated!

>thanks,
>-[Peter Cassin]

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Removing WWW Server HEADERS from download GIF file

2. Downloading the first part of a file / the header

3. Downloading the first part of a file / the header

4. Downloading the first part of a file / the header

5. File Header Information

6. DeviceCapabilities pulls down no information about printer

7. query to link or join/pull information from databases

8. Pulling device driver information using vbscript and WMI.

9. ?Trouble Pulling information from Database

10. Remotely pulling information from registry

11. How do you pull information from Active Directory?

12. VB script for pulling information out of the registry