Internet Transfer Control - Cannot FTP to Intranet FTP sites
Author Message
 Internet Transfer Control - Cannot FTP to Intranet FTP sites

Has anyone experienced any problems using the Internet Transfer Control to
FTP files to and from an Intranet FTP site?  I have tried this with both a
Peer Web Services FTP site (running on NT Workstation 4.0), and with an
IIS3.0 FTP site (running on NT Server 4.0), and have had no luck getting
FTP to work properly.  Using an FTP client, I am able to upload and dowload
files to these sites just fine, the directories on these sites are
read/write, and the sites accept anonymous connections, so I don't think
the sites are the problem.  Note that I have been able to retrieve files
from Internet FTP sites (such as ftp://ftp.microsoft.com) using the
Internet Transfer Control, but just not from Intranet FTP sites.

The code I've tried is fairly straightforward:

Inet1.AccessType = icDirect     ' I've also tried icUseDefault with no luck
Inet1.Execute "ftp://myserver/public", "GET sample.txt c:\temp\sample.txt"

What happens in the sample VB application, is that nothing appears to
happen when these two lines of code are executed.  I have an OnError Goto
statement in this code which traps any errors thrown by control, but that
produces nothing.  When I attempt to leave the program and return to the VB
IDE, there is a considerable pause before the program eventually terminates
and control is returned to the IDE.  I wonder if this pause is caused
because the control is trying to establish a connection with the FTP
server, and eventually times out?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Denis Ahearn

Sun, 05 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Internet Transfer Control - Cannot FTP to Intranet FTP sites

Did you set up an anonymous login for the ftp server on your intranet?
Bob

Quote:
> Has anyone experienced any problems using the Internet Transfer Control
> FTP files to and from an Intranet FTP site?

Mon, 06 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Internet Transfer Control - Cannot FTP to Intranet FTP sites

Quote:

>Has anyone experienced any problems using the Internet Transfer Control to
>FTP files to and from an Intranet FTP site?  I have tried this with both a
>Peer Web Services FTP site (running on NT Workstation 4.0), and with an
>IIS3.0 FTP site (running on NT Server 4.0), and have had no luck getting
>FTP to work properly.  Using an FTP client, I am able to upload and dowload
>files to these sites just fine, the directories on these sites are
>read/write, and the sites accept anonymous connections, so I don't think
>the sites are the problem.  Note that I have been able to retrieve files
>from Internet FTP sites (such as ftp://ftp.microsoft.com) using the
>Internet Transfer Control, but just not from Intranet FTP sites.

>The code I've tried is fairly straightforward:

>Inet1.AccessType = icDirect ' I've also tried icUseDefault with no luck
>Inet1.Execute "ftp://myserver/public", "GET sample.txt c:\temp\sample.txt"

>What happens in the sample VB application, is that nothing appears to
>happen when these two lines of code are executed.  I have an OnError Goto
>statement in this code which traps any errors thrown by control, but that
>produces nothing.  When I attempt to leave the program and return to the VB
>IDE, there is a considerable pause before the program eventually terminates
>and control is returned to the IDE.  I wonder if this pause is caused
>because the control is trying to establish a connection with the FTP
>server, and eventually times out?

>Can anyone help?

>Thanks,
>Denis Ahearn

The syntax for accessing intranet sites is the same for accessing internet
sightes:

Inet1.Execute "FTP://ftp.microsoft.com", _
"GET disclaimer.txt C:\Temp\Disclaimer.txt"

Inet1.Execute "ftp://myserver/public", _
"GET text.txt C:\Temp\text.txt"

Tue, 07 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Internet Transfer Control - Cannot FTP to Intranet FTP sites

Bob,

Yes, I do have my Peer Web Services and IIS ftp sites set up to accept
anonymous connections.  Have you tried using the ITC with Intranet ftp
sites?  I'm wondering if anyone has had any success doing this.

Denis

Quote:
> Did you set up an anonymous login for the ftp server on your intranet?
> Bob

> > Has anyone experienced any problems using the Internet Transfer Control
> > FTP files to and from an Intranet FTP site?

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Internet Transfer Control - Cannot FTP to Intranet FTP sites

Mike,

I don't understand your response.  How is what you wrote any different from
what I stated in my question (I don't see the difference)?  Have you tried
accessing an Intranet ftp site using the ITC, and if so, were you
successful?  If so, could you please post some sample code that worked for
you?

Thanks,
Denis

Quote:
> The syntax for accessing intranet sites is the same for accessing
internet
> sightes:

> Inet1.Execute "FTP://ftp.microsoft.com", _
> "GET disclaimer.txt C:\Temp\Disclaimer.txt"

> Inet1.Execute "ftp://myserver/public", _
> "GET text.txt C:\Temp\text.txt"

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Internet Transfer Control - Cannot FTP to Intranet FTP sites

You're right. The IDE takes a looong time to return because the Inet
control is still farting around trying to complete what ever it was trying
to do.

In the forms UnLoad event stick in: Inet1.Cancel.

This, as you may well guess <g>, cancels any actions the Inet control is
still trying to execute.

Cheerly,

Neil

----------------------------------
http://www.roachmill.demon.co.uk/

Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. : connecting to non-anonymous FTP site with VB5 internet transfer control

2. FTP control (Internet Transfer Control)

3. FTP with Internet Transfer Control

4. Internet Transfer Control --> FTP Download

5. Internet Transfer Control (ftp protocol)

6. Question: internet transfer control(FTP)

7. internet transfer control FTP GET

8. Setting up Inet Internet Tranfer Control - FTP for Passive Transfer

9. Internet Transfer Control FTP Help

10. Internet transfer control FTP

11. Problem using GetChunk to track progress of FTP GET w/Internet Transfer Control

12. Q: Internet Transfer Control (FTP): How to get size of remaining data