Using Internet Transfer Control and FTP to IBM MVS Mainframe
Author Message
 Using Internet Transfer Control and FTP to IBM MVS Mainframe

Hi,

I am trying to do a simple FTP to our mainframe of a text file using
the Internet Tranfer Control.  The problem is, it seems to be
transferring the file as binary and not ascii.  When I view the
dataset on the mainframe, it's not correct.  If I download the file
back to the PC using the control, it has binary data appended to the
file.

I tried specifying "TYPE" and "ASCII" on a Inet control, however it
just goes into a StillExecuting loop.

Is there something I am missing? If I FTP directly from a DOS prompt,
all is OK without specifying Ascii, so I would like to rule out it's
the mainframe.

Any help would be appreciated, whether means using a third party tool
or not.

Thanks,
Ed Vargo

Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Internet Transfer Control and FTP to IBM MVS Mainframe
Ed,  You can try my xFtp control.  You can specify the filetype being
transfered.   And it's free and has decent documentation.  Download it from
my site.

Brad

--
Free ActiveX Controls:
xStrings - Useful string methods and Regular Expressions!

Quote:

>Hi,

>I am trying to do a simple FTP to our mainframe of a text file using
>the Internet Tranfer Control.  The problem is, it seems to be
>transferring the file as binary and not ascii.  When I view the
>dataset on the mainframe, it's not correct.  If I download the file
>back to the PC using the control, it has binary data appended to the
>file.

>I tried specifying "TYPE" and "ASCII" on a Inet control, however it
>just goes into a StillExecuting loop.

>Is there something I am missing? If I FTP directly from a DOS prompt,
>all is OK without specifying Ascii, so I would like to rule out it's
>the mainframe.

>Any help would be appreciated, whether means using a third party tool
>or not.

>Thanks,
>Ed Vargo

Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Internet Transfer Control and FTP to IBM MVS Mainframe

says...
Quote:
> Hi,

> I am trying to do a simple FTP to our mainframe of a text file using
> the Internet Tranfer Control.  The problem is, it seems to be
> transferring the file as binary and not ascii.  When I view the
> dataset on the mainframe, it's not correct.  If I download the file
> back to the PC using the control, it has binary data appended to the
> file.

> I tried specifying "TYPE" and "ASCII" on a Inet control, however it
> just goes into a StillExecuting loop.

> Is there something I am missing? If I FTP directly from a DOS prompt,
> all is OK without specifying Ascii, so I would like to rule out it's
> the mainframe.

> Any help would be appreciated, whether means using a third party tool
> or not.

you must inet1.execute "BIN" before each binary download

Regards,
  Jonas
  http://surf.to/VbArea

Thu, 04 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. FTP to IBM MVS mainframe

2. Failing FTP to MVS system using Internet Transfer Control

3. Failing FTP to MVS system using Internet Transfer Control

4. Failing FTP to MVS system using Internet Transfer Control

5. Failing FTP to MVS system using Internet Transfer Control

6. Problem FTPing to MVS mainframe using Catalyst's SocketWrench Sample FTP

7. FTP Help with SITE Command for IBM Mainframe Server Using VB

8. FTP Custom Control and Remote Submit to an IBM Mainframe

9. Using INet control to put a text file on an IBM mainframe

10. FTP and IBM Mainframes

11. FTP to IBM Mainframe?

12. vb, ftp and ibm mainframes bad medicine!