need help with VB "POST" Method
Author Message
 need help with VB "POST" Method

Dear Internetters,
    I am trying to write a VB code that will simulate a user's interaction
with an Active Web Site through a browser. Let explain a little bit more.
    When a user visit this particular web site (www.xyz.com)using his/her
browser, he gets a HTML FORM. User then can select an option from the
dropdown menu presented on the form and presses the submit button. The web
site server then executes a cgi scripts and presents an html document
containing the information requested by the user in the drop down menu(a
database in table format). User then can save this file to his PC using
browser's save command.
    I am trying to accomplish the above task with in my VB code without the
use of browser. I am using the "Internet Transfer Control" of the VB. I can
open the URL using openUrl method and from it figure out the "CGI SCRIPT"
and the "VARIABLE names" of the active form sent by the werserver. After
this, I am using the "POST" method to post the data to the webserver("POST"
is the method required by the CGI). Inet1.execute "CGI SCRIPT path",
"POST","VARIABLE=Value". Where the value is the drop down menu selected.
When I execute the above command the response I get from the web server is
not the same as I get when I use browser(IE or Netscape). What I am I doing
wrong ?
    I will appreciate any suggestion or solutions. Thank you in advance.
                -B Desai.

Wed, 05 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need help with VB "POST" Method
Please E-Mail me back

I have 2 solutions, 1 using ITC, 1 using Wininet.dll api's.

--
Ricky

ICQ# 4730537             EGN# 16191
kharjes at dgi dot net
http://www.geocities.com/~howdy

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Please Reply To The Newsgroups

Quote:

>Dear Internetters,
>    I am trying to write a VB code that will simulate a user's interaction
>with an Active Web Site through a browser. Let explain a little bit more.
>    When a user visit this particular web site (www.xyz.com)using his/her
>browser, he gets a HTML FORM. User then can select an option from the
>dropdown menu presented on the form and presses the submit button. The web
>site server then executes a cgi scripts and presents an html document
>containing the information requested by the user in the drop down menu(a
>database in table format). User then can save this file to his PC using
>browser's save command.
>    I am trying to accomplish the above task with in my VB code without the
>use of browser. I am using the "Internet Transfer Control" of the VB. I can
>open the URL using openUrl method and from it figure out the "CGI SCRIPT"
>and the "VARIABLE names" of the active form sent by the werserver. After
>this, I am using the "POST" method to post the data to the webserver("POST"
>is the method required by the CGI). Inet1.execute "CGI SCRIPT path",
>"POST","VARIABLE=Value". Where the value is the drop down menu selected.
>When I execute the above command the response I get from the web server is
>not the same as I get when I use browser(IE or Netscape). What I am I doing
>wrong ?
>    I will appreciate any suggestion or solutions. Thank you in advance.
>                -B Desai.

Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. "POST" Method with VB6

2. Using "POST" method in INET control

3. "POST"'ing with WININET.DLL in VB 5

4. help using "point" method

5. using "GetChunk" with "POST" operation in Execute method with ITC

6. help - "property or method not supported"

7. *"*-.,._,.-*"* I"LL TRADE VISUAL C++ FOR VBASIC *"*-.,_,.-*"*

8. Need help with "Invalid Argument"

9. Need help, if possible: "SQLSetConnectAttr failed"

10. need help about "null"

11. Need Help with "Average" function

12. "POST" event