Newbie - ActiveX documents not terminating
Author Message
 Newbie - ActiveX documents not terminating

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I was wondering if anyone has encountered the
problems I'm having with ActiveX docs and can come up with a solution:

If I use an ActiveX exe then the exe itself is left running after the
browser (IE3 or 4) is shut down.  The terminate event is not triggered and
there seems to be no way of checking if the browser has gone (looking at the
parent property causes a GPF if the browser has been shut down)...

...so...

using an ActiveX dll gets around this (although there are some other
nasties) but when the browser is shut down it GPFs, which will probably
scare my users.

The ActiveX docs are built using the setup wizard and the cab files seem to
install ok (that's another story) - am I missing something important?  How
do I get an ActiveX exe to terminate when the browser is closed, and why
does the browser GPF after closing down with an ActiveX dll in memory?

I'm using IE3 and IE4 (release.)

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie - ActiveX documents not terminating

IE keeps a document history of 4 pages.  Navigate to 4 successive pages to
get rid of it.  Or you can dump the document history by doing a directory
search in the browser.  Type c: or d: in the box.

Quote:
> Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I was wondering if anyone has encountered the
> problems I'm having with ActiveX docs and can come up with a solution:

> If I use an ActiveX exe then the exe itself is left running after the
> browser (IE3 or 4) is shut down.  The terminate event is not triggered
and
> there seems to be no way of checking if the browser has gone (looking at
the
> parent property causes a GPF if the browser has been shut down)...

> ...so...

> using an ActiveX dll gets around this (although there are some other
> nasties) but when the browser is shut down it GPFs, which will probably
> scare my users.

> The ActiveX docs are built using the setup wizard and the cab files seem
> install ok (that's another story) - am I missing something important?
How
> do I get an ActiveX exe to terminate when the browser is closed, and why
> does the browser GPF after closing down with an ActiveX dll in memory?

> I'm using IE3 and IE4 (release.)

> Thanks in advance,
> Richard

Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. WebBrowser control doesn't terminate in ActiveX document

2. WebBrowser control doesn't terminate in ActiveX document

3. ActiveX Documents and the Terminate Event

4. Help with ActiveX dll class objects not terminating correctly (VB5)

5. Terminate Event on ActiveX user control not firing

6. ActiveX run mode terminate event does not fire

7. Terminate Event does not run for object in ActiveX DLL

8. order of events, ActiveX Document - newbie

9. Activex Document Newbie

10. order of events, ActiveX Document - newbie

11. newbie ? in ActiveX Document

12. Module can not access ActiveX Document