ASCII vs Binary Transfer in Iternet Transfer Control
Author Message
 ASCII vs Binary Transfer in Iternet Transfer Control

I need to send a text file from a Windows PC to a Unix Server in ASCII
format with a VB5 program. I am using the Internet Transfer Control but it
seams to default to binary transfer with no command available to change the
transfer to ASCII

Thanks

Isak Hendrikse

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ASCII vs Binary Transfer in Iternet Transfer Control

Wether you're sending a binary or Ascii file, the transfer type shouldn't be
handled
by you. You see, when invoking the EXECUTE method, the HOW is handled by the
object. The only thing you need to provide is the WHAT.

I'd suggest the following command (or similar) :
--- Inet1.Execute "<url>", "SEND C:\MyDocuments\Send.txt
SentDocs\Sent.txt" ---
and let the Inet Transfer Control handle the rest.

Koen

Quote:

>I need to send a text file from a Windows PC to a Unix Server in ASCII
>format with a VB5 program. I am using the Internet Transfer Control but it
>seams to default to binary transfer with no command available to change the
>transfer to ASCII

>Thanks

>Isak Hendrikse

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ASCII vs Binary Transfer in Iternet Transfer Control

This is the code I am using:

'set the string for the file transfer for use with the execute command
' eg. "SEND c:\data\feb1998.txt feb1998.txt"
FileFTP = "SEND" & " " & DataPath & cmbMonth & cmbYear & ".txt " & cmbMonth &
cmbYear & ".txt"
-----
'use internet control
With conInet
.URL = FTPurl
.UserName = FTPuser
.Password = FTPpass
.Execute , FileFTP

End With
------
The text file ends up on the Unix server with LF and CR, is there anything I can
do to change the transfer to a ASCII transfer ? If I use a FTP program you have
the option in the program to set the transfer to ASCII or Binary.

Isak Hendrikse

Quote:

> Wether you're sending a binary or Ascii file, the transfer type shouldn't be
> handled
> by you. You see, when invoking the EXECUTE method, the HOW is handled by the
> object. The only thing you need to provide is the WHAT.

> I'd suggest the following command (or similar) :
> --- Inet1.Execute "<url>", "SEND C:\MyDocuments\Send.txt
> SentDocs\Sent.txt" ---
> and let the Inet Transfer Control handle the rest.

> Koen

> >I need to send a text file from a Windows PC to a Unix Server in ASCII
> >format with a VB5 program. I am using the Internet Transfer Control but it
> >seams to default to binary transfer with no command available to change the
> >transfer to ASCII

> >Thanks

> >Isak Hendrikse

Tue, 05 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. INET and transfer type ascii vs. binary

2. Internet Transfer Control and ASCII transfer Help?

3. Internet Transfer Control and ASCII transfer Help?

4. Internet Transfer Control and ASCII transfer Help?

5. Inet control file transfer mode (binary/ascii)

6. Binary FTP Transfer with Inet Transfer Control

7. Internet Transfer Control and ASCII FTP

8. ASCII file transfer with VB COMMS control over modem link

9. ascii transfer mode for MS inet control

10. get unreable text file when using Internet Transfer Control to ftp(get) ascii fi

11. MS Internet transfer control-converting ASCII from Unix to Windows mode

12. ASCII transfer from VMS w/ MSINET Control?