Same IP Addresses?
Author Message
 Same IP Addresses?

Hello there,
    I did not know which specific newsgroup to post this to so I aplogise if
it is in an inappropriate one :)

    We are writing a program that tracks users IP addresses and stores them
into a database, now what I would like to know is are all IP addresses
unique, or are they repeated?

    Also we are using the Winsock for connection to a server, we know about
doing multi-connections {thanx to the WinApi group} but there seems to be a
limit on the number of connections. Is there anyway around this? I mean ICQ
and such programs must over come this limitation, anyone know how?

    Hope you can help :))
--
Thank you for your time
Anthoni Gardner

Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Same IP Addresses?

Quote:

> Hello there,
>     I did not know which specific newsgroup to post this to so I aplogise if
> it is in an inappropriate one :)

>     We are writing a program that tracks users IP addresses and stores them
> into a database, now what I would like to know is are all IP addresses
> unique, or are they repeated?

They are unique unless they are in the ranges reserved for LANs (which
are?  I only know 2 of them by heart 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x). And even
then, they need to have a Gateway to the net that has a unique
IP.  (Chances are, everybody coming from a single gateway will look the
same, depending upon your method of figureing out the IP address).

Far better (but perhaps less legal) would be to use the MAC address, which
is globally unique.

Ted

--
On this day, the Feast of St. John of Damascus
http://www.e3mil.com/church_today/message.asp?message_id=&sec_id=4

Check out the <A
HREF="http://www.aracnet.com/~seebert">IDIC Home Page!</A>
Are you for equal parental rights?  Do you believe that a father is
neccessary to bring up good citizens?  Then you need to sign the <A
HREF="http://childrens-justice.org"> Children's Justice Petition</A>

Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to get IP my IP address

2. TCP/IP IP address and multiple adapters

3. changing of IP-address and other IP parameters

4. Network adapter question: how to put ip address and MAC addresses together

5. Mapping IP address to MAC address (VB5.0)

6. IP Address & MAC Address

7. VBscript for IP Address, Mac Address, Username

8. : TCP/IP address via email address

9. MAC Address to IP Address

10. MAC Address to IP Address

11. MAC address --> IP address