Please advise on Web base application
Author Message
 Please advise on Web base application

[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.vb.controls.internet and a
copy was sent to the cited author.]

Quote:
> Hi there,

> I am  trying to learn about web base application. It seems that it is
> fairly
> easy to have web page with static information on it but have very little
> idea in
> dealing with dynamic information.

> I have a list of product information in a database in a standalone PC
> developed by VB5 with access database. What I wanted to do is to put the
> information  in the web so that  I can access to it
> with a browser wherever I go. I have an internet account from the ISP
> and I wanted to know what is the minimum amount of set up that can allow
> me to achieve that. The web based application should allow me to do
> query and things like that.

That's a very broad question, Andrew. Answering it may provoke a debate
of religious fervor, but I'll have a go at it.

As your data is already in MS Access .mdb format, you could use Active
Server Pages (ASP) technology to provide the interaction between your
database and your web pages. It works very well. The skill set is fairly
easy to pick up, and you won't have to mess with moving your data to
another format.

The down-side is that the server platform must be Microsoft based (IIS 3
or 4) or must utilize one of the third party ASP support packages. You'll
need cooperation from your ISP. ASP and ODBC data access is certainly a
step beyond hosting static HTML or CGI scripts. There are web hosts out
there that do support it, but most don't. Also, the .MDB back end won't
scale particularly well. Any significant amount of traffic and you're
looking at needing a more robust database back end.

You could port your data to a format that more mainstream web tools can
process via CGI. You'll find more places to host a solution of this type,
but you'll probably need to learn PERL, which is a bit harder than the
jump from VB to VB Script you'd make with the all-Microsoft solution.

Or... you could use one of the proprietary tools like Cold Fusion. Cold
Fusion is supported on many different platforms, but again, you've got to
find a web host that is running it.

My vote is for the all Microsoft solution. Check out
http://www.*-*-*.com/ or http://www.*-*-*.com/ for great
ASP info.

Also, http://www.*-*-*.com/
Interdev, a very slick tool for developing just the type of things you're
proposing. Its not a must-have to do ASP work, but it sure makes things
easier.

HTH

--
John Nelson
Evergreen Computer Services

Sun, 11 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please advise on Web base application
Hi there,

I am  trying to learn about web base application. It seems that it is
fairly
easy to have web page with static information on it but have very little
idea in
dealing with dynamic information.

I have a list of product information in a database in a standalone PC
developed by VB5 with access database. What I wanted to do is to put the
information  in the web so that  I can access to it
with a browser wherever I go. I have an internet account from the ISP
and I wanted to know what is the minimum amount of set up that can allow
me to achieve that. The web based application should allow me to do
query and things like that.

Any comment or advise  on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Andrew Wan

Mon, 12 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please advise on Web base application

Microsoft solution works, no doubt. But Netscape's too. If your ISP has
Netscape Enterprise Server running on NT it's a problem of hours (ODBC and a
JavaScript Server Side and SQL for accessing). I made it and works cool!!!.
And probably works on other OS too, but I didn't tried.

Quote:

> [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.vb.controls.internet and a
> copy was sent to the cited author.]

> > Hi there,

> > I am  trying to learn about web base application. It seems that it is
> > fairly
> > easy to have web page with static information on it but have very little
> > idea in
> > dealing with dynamic information.

> > I have a list of product information in a database in a standalone PC
> > developed by VB5 with access database. What I wanted to do is to put the
> > information  in the web so that  I can access to it
> > with a browser wherever I go. I have an internet account from the ISP
> > and I wanted to know what is the minimum amount of set up that can allow
> > me to achieve that. The web based application should allow me to do
> > query and things like that.

> That's a very broad question, Andrew. Answering it may provoke a debate
> of religious fervor, but I'll have a go at it.

> As your data is already in MS Access .mdb format, you could use Active
> Server Pages (ASP) technology to provide the interaction between your
> database and your web pages. It works very well. The skill set is fairly
> easy to pick up, and you won't have to mess with moving your data to
> another format.

> The down-side is that the server platform must be Microsoft based (IIS 3
> or 4) or must utilize one of the third party ASP support packages. You'll
> need cooperation from your ISP. ASP and ODBC data access is certainly a
> step beyond hosting static HTML or CGI scripts. There are web hosts out
> there that do support it, but most don't. Also, the .MDB back end won't
> scale particularly well. Any significant amount of traffic and you're
> looking at needing a more robust database back end.

> You could port your data to a format that more mainstream web tools can
> process via CGI. You'll find more places to host a solution of this type,
> but you'll probably need to learn PERL, which is a bit harder than the
> jump from VB to VB Script you'd make with the all-Microsoft solution.

> Or... you could use one of the proprietary tools like Cold Fusion. Cold
> Fusion is supported on many different platforms, but again, you've got to
> find a web host that is running it.

> My vote is for the all Microsoft solution. Check out
> http://www.activeserverpages.com or http://www.15seconds.com for great
> ASP info.

> Also, http://msdn.microsoft.com/vinterdev/ will tell you all about Visual
> Interdev, a very slick tool for developing just the type of things you're
> proposing. Its not a must-have to do ASP work, but it sure makes things
> easier.

> HTH

> --
> John Nelson
> Evergreen Computer Services
> http://www.flatline.com

  lucd.vcf
< 1K Download

Mon, 12 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB Web applications, web based controls

2. VB Web applications, web based controls

3. web-based email and news application

4. converting a VB database application to web based?

5. Any Web based application server for VB?

6. Best way to develop Win 3.1/Win95 web applications (computer based training)

7. web-based email and news application

8. Web-based e-mail application

9. Web Based Application

10. Web Base Application 2