Help ! - Multiple Connections Using The Winsock
Author Message
 Help ! - Multiple Connections Using The Winsock

I am having a major headace with a little program I have written. It
is a small Client/Server chat programme.

I am using VB5, with the TCP winsock control. I am having problems
with multiple connections to the server. I have tried using the MS
code for multiple connections using a control array, whilst this works with
1 connection, when I have two clients connected to the server, the control
only communicates with the last logged on client (ie, it ignores client 1).

Is there any better code than the MS ?, What am I doing wrong ? Any
Code ( VB only Please :o) ), or suggestions would be extremely
welcome.

Thanks In Advance,
Andrew Seaton.

Sat, 06 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Help ! - Multiple Connections Using The Winsock

Quote:
>I am using VB5, with the TCP winsock control. I am having problems
>with multiple connections to the server. I have tried using the MS
>code for multiple connections using a control array, whilst this works with
>1 connection, when I have two clients connected to the server, the control
>only communicates with the last logged on client (ie, it ignores client 1).

Make sure you have sp2 installed. Some have reported that this
problem still exists after sp2. I have personally seen this and
there is no pattern for this when installing on a customers
system.

The sure fire way I have found is to use a 3rd party control.
I am registered user for just about all of the ones available for VB
and tested which works best when installing to a customers system.
All of the 3rd party appear to work fine. The best thing about using
the 3rd party controls is that they ADMIT and CORRECT their bugs
(MS prefers to call this "known issues" these days and is not fast
to acknowledge and correct) in a timely manner. I tried number of times
speaking with tech support about the memory leak issues and
they denied it the whole time and pointed back that I must be
doing something wrong in my code. Then they release sp2 and
what do you know, one of the problems they supposedly corrected was
a memory leak in the control. I'm sure one day MS will correct their
bugs but until then, deadlines must be meet and one is able to meet
them using the 3rd party controls.

Take a look at these 3rd party options:

ASocket - http://www.mabry.com/asocket/
dsSock - http://www.dolphinsys.com/dssocket.html
IP Port - http://www.dev-soft.com/devsoft/ipport.htm

There are others but the ones above appear to have the best
tech support.

Quote:
>Is there any better code than the MS ?, What am I doing wrong ? Any
>Code ( VB only Please :o) ), or suggestions would be extremely
>welcome.

You are not doing anything wrong, it's the control. With respect
to coding, all of the 3rd party controls work about the same
code wise. This may not be what you would like to hear but it's
a step up from doing pure winsock coding.

Hope this helps.

Marvin

Sat, 06 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Multiple Winsock-Connections to a server AND Winsock-Connection to a server minimized in systray

2. Multiple Inbound connections using VB5 and Winsock Control.

3. visual basic winsock control and multiple client connections

4. Winsock multiple connections

5. Winsock, multiple connections

6. Telnet Server Source or Multiple Winsock Connections?

7. visual basic winsock control and multiple client connections

8. Winsock array not accepting multiple connections

9. Multiple connections with one Winsock control ?

10. Making a multiple connection Winsock Server?

11. winsock connection to multiple clients

12. Winsock Multiple Connection Handling