Winsock, slow DataArrival
Author Message
 Winsock, slow DataArrival

I'm developing a server using VB 6.0. My problem is
that Winsock1_DataArrival() event occurrs very slow,
and so is Winsock1_SendComplete().

These two events take about 3 or 4 seconds to be
raised. (Seemingly DataArrival() occurrs several
times, if the arrived_data is bigger than some
*buffer size,* so I had to call getData() several
times. Is it possible to resize the *buffer size*
big enough?)

The network status is quite good because I got
Winsock1_ConnectionRequest() fast enough. This
occurrs within 0.1 seconds.

Is it a bad idea to use Visual Basic as a server module?

I'm a Unix programmer, and very new to MS platform.
Initially I tried to do it with VC++, but that's
overwhelmingly complicated to me, while VB solution
is small and beatiful. Only slow speed troubles.

--KIM Hiongun, a warrior against language barrier.

Fri, 22 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Winsock, slow DataArrival
Hi there,

I'm not to sure why your arrivals would be taking so long...I've developed a
socket control that uses winsock and my "stuff" is done virtually
instantly(and this control has a lot of header info to build and breakdown
and data conversion, btw I'm only running a cyrix 166+)

Try it out at
http://members.home.net/wwwebsoft/csSocketX/index.htm

There's also a chat and server example (only runs together on same machine,
i.e. hostip is hardcoded to "localhost")  See if it's a slow as you think
yours is and let me know.

Also, as far as I understand you can resize the buffer, but then the
arrivals might come even take longer?

John

Quote:

>I'm developing a server using VB 6.0. My problem is
>that Winsock1_DataArrival() event occurrs very slow,
>and so is Winsock1_SendComplete().

>These two events take about 3 or 4 seconds to be
>raised. (Seemingly DataArrival() occurrs several
>times, if the arrived_data is bigger than some
>*buffer size,* so I had to call getData() several
>times. Is it possible to resize the *buffer size*
>big enough?)

>The network status is quite good because I got
>Winsock1_ConnectionRequest() fast enough. This
>occurrs within 0.1 seconds.

>Is it a bad idea to use Visual Basic as a server module?

>I'm a Unix programmer, and very new to MS platform.
>Initially I tried to do it with VC++, but that's
>overwhelmingly complicated to me, while VB solution
>is small and beatiful. Only slow speed troubles.

>--KIM Hiongun, a warrior against language barrier.

Sat, 23 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Winsock, slow DataArrival

2. slow dataarrival event

3. Winsock.ocx | After GetData, DataArrival gets fired immediatelly (loop)

4. Re-enterability of winsock dataarrival handler

5. Winsock dataarrival problem

6. Winsock DataArrival, socket closing and can't GetData before receiving all the data

7. Winsock control array - How to handle DataArrival

8. VB5 Winsock & DataArrival

9. WinSock problem, Api-Sleep Function blocks the DataArrival-Event

10. Winsock - DataArrival fires before Connect

11. Winsock - DataArrival Before Connect?

12. Winsock Help with DataArrival