Please Help.
Author Message
 Please Help.

I am running Windows NT win IIS 3.0.  How do I setup a directory in my
webpage to where you have to enter a username and password to gain access.
Can you do it with IIS 3.0 or do you have to have special software?

Thanks

Rob

Tue, 23 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help.
Use SiteServer from Microsoft...
Quote:

>I am running Windows NT win IIS 3.0.  How do I setup a directory in my
>webpage to where you have to enter a username and password to gain access.
>Can you do it with IIS 3.0 or do you have to have special software?

>Thanks

>Rob

Wed, 24 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help.
Use the NTFS permission control. Do this in the Explorer, highlight a
directory, right click, select Permission.

Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help.
No need to use site server to password protect microsoft IIs 3.0
directories, simply make a directory, open explorer, find the directory in
question, right click on it, goto permissions. Remove "everyone" then add
specific users to the directory.

You will also need to configure IIs for "clear text" in the IIs admin
authentication... or no one will be able to log in...

Trust me.. it works... email me if you have questions

Brad

t>...

Quote:
>Use SiteServer from Microsoft...

>>I am running Windows NT win IIS 3.0.  How do I setup a directory in my
>>webpage to where you have to enter a username and password to gain access.
>>Can you do it with IIS 3.0 or do you have to have special software?

>>Thanks

>>Rob

Thu, 08 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help.
What you've said Brad is spot on, I know because I've found out myself.  But Rob
Fikes will now find that if he tries to use Frontpage to open the web from a
remote workstation, he will not have permission to modify those pages because
Frontpage uses the anonymous account to connect to IIs 3.0. This is causing us
some trouble in administering our intranet. We are getting round it by mapping a
drive directly to the web server machine and opening the web pages that way but
its not ideal. The only way I have been able to get Frontpage to use another
account when connecting to the web server is to disable anonymous connection  to
the WWW server service.  With anonymous connection disabled on the server,
Frontpage will then (transparently) try your windows (NT) username and password
to see if it matches an account on the server, if it does then it uses it to log
you in, which is fine. But with the anonymous account disabled it means that no
one can browse unless they have an account on the server and thats no good for
my current situation because we don't have a Primary Domain Controller and it
would be impractical to co-ordinate accounts manually.

What I need to know is.....is it possible to get frontpage to connect to webs on
IIs 3.0 with accounts other than the anonymous account *and* have anonymous
connection enabled for the WWW service at the same time.

Quote:

> No need to use site server to password protect microsoft IIs 3.0
> directories, simply make a directory, open explorer, find the directory in
> question, right click on it, goto permissions. Remove "everyone" then add
> specific users to the directory.

> You will also need to configure IIs for "clear text" in the IIs admin
> authentication... or no one will be able to log in...

> Trust me.. it works... email me if you have questions

> Brad

> t>...
> >Use SiteServer from Microsoft...

> >>I am running Windows NT win IIS 3.0.  How do I setup a directory in my
> >>webpage to where you have to enter a username and password to gain access.
> >>Can you do it with IIS 3.0 or do you have to have special software?

> >>Thanks

> >>Rob

Sun, 11 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help.
What you've said Brad is spot on, I know because I've found out myself.  But Rob
Fikes will now find that if he tries to use Frontpage to open the web from a
remote workstation, he will not have permission to modify those pages because
Frontpage uses the anonymous account to connect to IIs 3.0. This is causing us
some trouble in administering our intranet. We are getting round it by mapping a
drive directly to the web server machine and opening the web pages that way but
its not ideal. The only way I have been able to get Frontpage to use another
account when connecting to the web server is to disable anonymous connection  to
the WWW server service.  With anonymous connection disabled on the server,
Frontpage will then (transparently) try your windows (NT) username and password
to see if it matches an account on the server, if it does then it uses it to log
you in, which is fine. But with the anonymous account disabled it means that no
one can browse unless they have an account on the server and thats no good for
my current situation because we don't have a Primary Domain Controller and it
would be impractical to co-ordinate accounts manually.

What I need to know is.....is it possible to get frontpage to connect to webs on
IIs 3.0 with accounts other than the anonymous account *and* have anonymous
connection enabled for the WWW service at the same time.

Quote:

> No need to use site server to password protect microsoft IIs 3.0
> directories, simply make a directory, open explorer, find the directory in
> question, right click on it, goto permissions. Remove "everyone" then add
> specific users to the directory.

> You will also need to configure IIs for "clear text" in the IIs admin
> authentication... or no one will be able to log in...

> Trust me.. it works... email me if you have questions

> Brad

> t>...
> >Use SiteServer from Microsoft...

> >>I am running Windows NT win IIS 3.0.  How do I setup a directory in my
> >>webpage to where you have to enter a username and password to gain access.
> >>Can you do it with IIS 3.0 or do you have to have special software?

> >>Thanks

> >>Rob

Sun, 11 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help.
I am confused.  The web hosting service I use has the Frontpage extensions installed and I have a
FTP userid and password to access and maintain my site.  When I open the site via Frontpage it says
the site requires a user id and password to administer the web and prompts using my NT user id.  I
change the user id and password to the one for my site and log it.

Anyone can browse my web site.

The web hosting service is at www.execnet.com

My web site is www.saberman.com

Stu

Quote:
>What you've said Brad is spot on, I know because I've found out myself.  But Rob
>Fikes will now find that if he tries to use Frontpage to open the web from a
>remote workstation, he will not have permission to modify those pages because
>Frontpage uses the anonymous account to connect to IIs 3.0. This is causing us
>some trouble in administering our intranet. We are getting round it by mapping a
>drive directly to the web server machine and opening the web pages that way but
>its not ideal. The only way I have been able to get Frontpage to use another
>account when connecting to the web server is to disable anonymous connection  to
>the WWW server service.  With anonymous connection disabled on the server,
>Frontpage will then (transparently) try your windows (NT) username and password
>to see if it matches an account on the server, if it does then it uses it to log
>you in, which is fine. But with the anonymous account disabled it means that no
>one can browse unless they have an account on the server and thats no good for
>my current situation because we don't have a Primary Domain Controller and it
>would be impractical to co-ordinate accounts manually.

>What I need to know is.....is it possible to get frontpage to connect to webs on
>IIs 3.0 with accounts other than the anonymous account *and* have anonymous
>connection enabled for the WWW service at the same time.

>> No need to use site server to password protect microsoft IIs 3.0
>> directories, simply make a directory, open explorer, find the directory in
>> question, right click on it, goto permissions. Remove "everyone" then add
>> specific users to the directory.

>> You will also need to configure IIs for "clear text" in the IIs admin
>> authentication... or no one will be able to log in...

>> Trust me.. it works... email me if you have questions

>> Brad

>> t>...
>> >Use SiteServer from Microsoft...

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help.
Your hosting service has not configured the permission correctly for your account to be accessed
with FP98. You should not use FTP to upload any files to your account as this will, in most cases
corrupt the extensions.

--
====================================
Thomas Rowe

Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
The HTML Writers Guild Member
International Webmaster Association Member
Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
MSDN Universal Subscriber

Quote:

>I am confused.  The web hosting service I use has the Frontpage extensions installed and I have a
>FTP userid and password to access and maintain my site.  When I open the site via Frontpage it says
>the site requires a user id and password to administer the web and prompts using my NT user id.  I
>change the user id and password to the one for my site and log it.

>Anyone can browse my web site.

>The web hosting service is at www.execnet.com

>My web site is www.saberman.com

>Stu

>>What you've said Brad is spot on, I know because I've found out myself.  But Rob
>>Fikes will now find that if he tries to use Frontpage to open the web from a
>>remote workstation, he will not have permission to modify those pages because
>>Frontpage uses the anonymous account to connect to IIs 3.0. This is causing us
>>some trouble in administering our intranet. We are getting round it by mapping a
>>drive directly to the web server machine and opening the web pages that way but
>>its not ideal. The only way I have been able to get Frontpage to use another
>>account when connecting to the web server is to disable anonymous connection  to
>>the WWW server service.  With anonymous connection disabled on the server,
>>Frontpage will then (transparently) try your windows (NT) username and password
>>to see if it matches an account on the server, if it does then it uses it to log
>>you in, which is fine. But with the anonymous account disabled it means that no
>>one can browse unless they have an account on the server and thats no good for
>>my current situation because we don't have a Primary Domain Controller and it
>>would be impractical to co-ordinate accounts manually.

>>What I need to know is.....is it possible to get frontpage to connect to webs on
>>IIs 3.0 with accounts other than the anonymous account *and* have anonymous
>>connection enabled for the WWW service at the same time.

>>> No need to use site server to password protect microsoft IIs 3.0
>>> directories, simply make a directory, open explorer, find the directory in
>>> question, right click on it, goto permissions. Remove "everyone" then add
>>> specific users to the directory.

>>> You will also need to configure IIs for "clear text" in the IIs admin
>>> authentication... or no one will be able to log in...

>>> Trust me.. it works... email me if you have questions

>>> Brad

>>> t>...

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help.
Perhaps I should rephrase that.  My web site is older than Frontpage.  I orignally used FTP to
maintain it.  When the web hosting service made Frontpage available they set the Frontpage access
userid and password the same as my old FTP userid and password.

I am confused as to why using FTP to upload something to the web site would corrupt the Frontpage
extensions.  While I rarely use FTP for maintaining the site there are times when it is necessary.
For large files FTP seems to be a much better transfer mechanism than whatever Frontpage uses.  At
least the ws_ftp32 interface is significantly better than Frontpage's.  The only effect that is
appearent is that Frontpage cannot identify the source of the files.

While Frontpage 98 is impressive, even for small html files there are somethings that are better
done with Notepad and FTP.

BTW, is there some way to hide the non-compliant html entensions that Frontpage provides so I don't
wind up with web pages that won't work with a compliant browser?

Stu

Quote:
>Your hosting service has not configured the permission correctly for your account to be accessed
>with FP98. You should not use FTP to upload any files to your account as this will, in most cases
>corrupt the extensions.

>--
>====================================
>Thomas Rowe
>Your Community On-Line Network
>http://www.ycoln.net

>Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>The HTML Writers Guild Member
>International Webmaster Association Member
>Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
>MSDN Universal Subscriber

>>I am confused.  The web hosting service I use has the Frontpage extensions installed and I have a
>>FTP userid and password to access and maintain my site.  When I open the site via Frontpage it says
>>the site requires a user id and password to administer the web and prompts using my NT user id.  I
>>change the user id and password to the one for my site and log it.

>>Anyone can browse my web site.

>>The web hosting service is at www.execnet.com

>>My web site is www.saberman.com

>>Stu

>>>What you've said Brad is spot on, I know because I've found out myself.  But Rob
>>>Fikes will now find that if he tries to use Frontpage to open the web from a
>>>remote workstation, he will not have permission to modify those pages because
>>>Frontpage uses the anonymous account to connect to IIs 3.0. This is causing us
>>>some trouble in administering our intranet. We are getting round it by mapping a
>>>drive directly to the web server machine and opening the web pages that way but
>>>its not ideal. The only way I have been able to get Frontpage to use another
>>>account when connecting to the web server is to disable anonymous connection  to
>>>the WWW server service.  With anonymous connection disabled on the server,
>>>Frontpage will then (transparently) try your windows (NT) username and password
>>>to see if it matches an account on the server, if it does then it uses it to log
>>>you in, which is fine. But with the anonymous account disabled it means that no
>>>one can browse unless they have an account on the server and thats no good for
>>>my current situation because we don't have a Primary Domain Controller and it
>>>would be impractical to co-ordinate accounts manually.

>>>What I need to know is.....is it possible to get frontpage to connect to webs on
>>>IIs 3.0 with accounts other than the anonymous account *and* have anonymous
>>>connection enabled for the WWW service at the same time.

Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help.

Quote:

>Perhaps I should rephrase that.  My web site is older than Frontpage.  I orignally used FTP to
>maintain it.  When the web hosting service made Frontpage available they set the Frontpage access
>userid and password the same as my old FTP userid and password.

This could be a problem. Once the Front Page extensions are installed, Front Page will verify the html code in all the pages, and sometimes it will tend to rewrite the code within any html files. In many cases, this is not a problem, but if the pages contained advanced html coding, Front Page may not be able to replace that code with a code FP thinks it is suitable.

Quote:
>I am confused as to why using FTP to upload something to the web site would >corrupt the Frontpage extensions.

Front Page includes a nice set of built in cgi scripts. One of these scripts is the "search engine" script. This particular script depends on the .cnf files that are generated when an html page is uploaded using Front Page. But, when a page is not uploaded with Front Page, a .cnf file is not generated. Therefore, any pages uploaded with FTP will never be searched by Front Page's search engine. This is just a specific example why FTP should not be used when a website has Front Page scripts active.

FTP does not destroy Front Page extensions, unless one purposley decides to overwrite the extensions.
However, many of the Front Page scripts depend on the html pages being uploaded _with_ Front Page, and not with FTP. In other words, Front Page will ignore any and all pages uploaded with FTP.

The problem is _not_ this incompatibility between Front Page and FTP. The problem is that many of the internet users are not aware of these differences, and when they do something damaging enough to make a Front Page website non-functional, the internet user will blame the ISP. Therefore, the ISP's solve this problem by not allowing its users to use FTP uploads to a Front Page website. In  other words, the ISP is saying to the internet user: "Make up your mind! Front Page, or FTP. You can't have both".

And the ISP is right. MS has a powerful "tech support" section who's standard answer is "Check with your ISP", leaving all the blame on the ISP's shoulder to resolve, whenever a FP customer contacts MS. So, because MS is not willing to support its own product, or make it compatible with standard protocols, the ISP has one of two choices: 1) loose a customer, or 2) tell the customer that his $99.00 investment in Front Page was just another one of MS's convincing propaganda that they've purchased a great program.

While I rarely use FTP for maintaining the site there are times when it is necessary.

Quote:
>For large files FTP seems to be a much better transfer mechanism than whatever Frontpage uses.

As long as these files are non-html, such as maybe an .mdb or .ram file, that is ok to upload with FTP.

Quote:
>BTW, is there some way to hide the non-compliant html entensions that Frontpage provides so I don't
>wind up with web pages that won't work with a compliant browser?

Front Page does have the ability to allow the programmer to insert html code that is not overwritten by FP. However, FP98 is only compatible with html 3.2 specification. HTML 4.0, I would guess will be available in FP2000.

tg

Quote:

>Stu

>>Your hosting service has not configured the permission correctly for your account to be accessed
>>with FP98. You should not use FTP to upload any files to your account as this will, in most cases
>>corrupt the extensions.

>>--
>>====================================
>>Thomas Rowe
>>Your Community On-Line Network
>>http://www.ycoln.net

>>Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>>The HTML Writers Guild Member
>>International Webmaster Association Member
>>Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
>>MSDN Universal Subscriber

>>>I am confused.  The web hosting service I use has the Frontpage extensions installed and I have a
>>>FTP userid and password to access and maintain my site.  When I open the site via Frontpage it says
>>>the site requires a user id and password to administer the web and prompts using my NT user id.  I
>>>change the user id and password to the one for my site and log it.

>>>Anyone can browse my web site.

>>>The web hosting service is at www.execnet.com

>>>My web site is www.saberman.com

>>>Stu

Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help.
Hi Stu,

1. Should not matter if your hosting service used the login/password that you were using for FTP.

2. Now that your site on your host server has been convert to FP98, you should republish the
complete site to make sure all hidden FP98 configuration files are properly updated.

3. The reason using a FTP client can corrupt the extensions is because users upload their complete
local web files including the local hidden FP98 configuration files which in turn overwrite the
server's version, rendering the site inaccessible. Requiring that hosting service reinstall the
extension for the account.

4. FP98 transfer files using the http protocol.

5. To upload a large file I would access your hosting service with FPExplorer, and import it from
your local HD.

6. When using FTP to upload files, the hidden configuration files are not updated until you access
the site with FPExplorer and run the Recalculate Hyperlink Command.

7. What is a non-compliant html file extensions that FP98 provides? I have never encountered any.

--
====================================
Thomas Rowe
Your Community On-Line Network
http://www.ycoln.net

Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
The HTML Writers Guild Member
International Webmaster Association Member
Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
MSDN Universal Subscriber

Quote:

>Perhaps I should rephrase that.  My web site is older than Frontpage.  I orignally used FTP to
>maintain it.  When the web hosting service made Frontpage available they set the Frontpage access
>userid and password the same as my old FTP userid and password.

>I am confused as to why using FTP to upload something to the web site would corrupt the Frontpage
>extensions.  While I rarely use FTP for maintaining the site there are times when it is necessary.
>For large files FTP seems to be a much better transfer mechanism than whatever Frontpage uses.  At
>least the ws_ftp32 interface is significantly better than Frontpage's.  The only effect that is
>appearent is that Frontpage cannot identify the source of the files.

>While Frontpage 98 is impressive, even for small html files there are somethings that are better
>done with Notepad and FTP.

>BTW, is there some way to hide the non-compliant html entensions that Frontpage provides so I don't
>wind up with web pages that won't work with a compliant browser?

>Stu

>>Your hosting service has not configured the permission correctly for your account to be accessed
>>with FP98. You should not use FTP to upload any files to your account as this will, in most cases
>>corrupt the extensions.

>>--
>>====================================
>>Thomas Rowe
>>Your Community On-Line Network
>>http://www.ycoln.net

>>Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>>The HTML Writers Guild Member
>>International Webmaster Association Member
>>Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
>>MSDN Universal Subscriber

>>>I am confused.  The web hosting service I use has the Frontpage extensions installed and I have a
>>>FTP userid and password to access and maintain my site.  When I open the site via Frontpage it
says
>>>the site requires a user id and password to administer the web and prompts using my NT user id.
>>>change the user id and password to the one for my site and log it.

>>>Anyone can browse my web site.

>>>The web hosting service is at www.execnet.com

>>>My web site is www.saberman.com

>>>Stu

Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help.
The problem with FPExplorer is (1) it seems slower to upload and (2) it does not provide any
indication on how far along it is.

The marquee tag only seems to work with IE.  (The page looks kinda stupid with a large string
sitting where a rolling text display should be.)  Is marquee standard HTML?

I have also found FP removing stuff from the headers.  I had my description and keywords disappear
passing a page through FP 97.  Perhaps the problem is fixed in FP 98.  (I would have thought
keywords would be a fullly supported Meta since MS supports them in Word documents and Excel
spreadsheets.)

Stu

Quote:
> [...]

>>While Frontpage 98 is impressive, even for small html files there are somethings that are better
>>done with Notepad and FTP.

>>BTW, is there some way to hide the non-compliant html entensions that Frontpage provides so I don't
>>wind up with web pages that won't work with a compliant browser?

>>Stu

>>>Your hosting service has not configured the permission correctly for your account to be accessed
>>>with FP98. You should not use FTP to upload any files to your account as this will, in most cases
>>>corrupt the extensions.

>>>--
>>>====================================
>>>Thomas Rowe
>>>Your Community On-Line Network
>>>http://www.ycoln.net

>>>Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>>>The HTML Writers Guild Member
>>>International Webmaster Association Member

Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

2. PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP

3. Please Help...Crystal Reports..Please Help

4. PLEASE HELP... PLEASE HELP... PLEASE HELP...

5. Please Please PLEASE HELP!!!!!

6. Please please please, help me :-)

7. Please, please, please help!!

8. Cloning problem -- please please please help

9. Please, please, please, help!

10. DATAbase Printing PLEASE, PLEASE Help me - please?

11. DATAbase Printing - PLEASE, PLEASE Help me - please?

12. Please, Please, Please,Help craxdrt.dll