Querying a Search Engine based on database values (2nd Request)
Author Message
 Querying a Search Engine based on database values (2nd Request)

No response yet, so I thought I'd try again with a bit more info...

I need to search a specialized online database of book information
based on entries in a database. The results will then be displayed in
a WebBrowser control. I've more or less figured out that I need to use

the inet control to retrieve the results which are then passed
to the WB for display.

I need to submit these two fields using the Post method:

<INPUT MAXLENGTH=60 SIZE=30 NAME="LASTNAME">
<INPUT MAXLENGTH=80 SIZE=30 NAME="TITLE">

Assuming the format for the iNet.execute command is:

    Inet1.Execute strURL, "POST", strFormData

How do I format the strFormData string?

TIA!
Mike

--

~Alternative Homebuilding Book Reviews~
~~   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mpayson/  ~~

Mon, 02 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Querying a Search Engine based on database values (2nd Request)

    I need to search a specialized online database of book information
    based on entries in a database. The results will then be displayed in
    a WebBrowser control. I've more or less figured out that I need to use
    the inet control to retrieve the results which are then passed
    to the WB for display.

    Why not simply tell the WB to navigate to the same URL you'd give Inet?  I've used Inet flawlessly for months, then it craps out -- you really should try to use something more stable.  I've heard good things about the wininet.api, and that's what I'll be using for future projects.

    <INPUT MAXLENGTH=60 SIZE=30 NAME="LASTNAME">
    <INPUT MAXLENGTH=80 SIZE=30 NAME="TITLE">

    How do I format the strFormData string?

    The URL would be unchanged, and you'd simply append "?lastname=" + whatever + "&title=" + whatever_else.

Mon, 02 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Querying a Search Engine based on database values (2nd Request)

Well i've found that REFERER: yoururlhere works for me, however, it may not work right for your search engines. If you want, I have some code to Post data to a form (such as your search engine) then it will retrive the response (HTML File), then you'll have to open that file from within your app.

Send me an E-mail for it

--
Ricky

ICQ# 4730537             EGN# 16191
kharjes at dgi dot net
http://www.geocities.com/~howdy

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Please Reply To The Newsgroups

[...]

Thanks!

The site uses the Post method, so I didn't realize you could just switch to
Get instead... I wish I'd known that the first time I tried to tackle this
solution a year ago, with a different dev. tool! Using get works fine & is
a heck of a lot simpler! Thanks again!

Mike

Quote:

~~  http://www.eskimo.com/~mpayson/  ~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"When I get a little money, I buy books;
If any is left, I buy food and clothes."
~~~~       Desiderius Erasmus       ~~~~

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Request: Simple Data Base Engine Available?

2. 2nd REquest on passing a parameter to a report query

3. parametric Search engine based on access97 table

4. search engine for NT based intranet

5. Making a database based on SQL search in another database

6. How can I Search for a record in an Access Database that contains my search query

7. Query on usage of VB for search engine

8. Query Engine Error: Db Null Values

9. table.field value calculated based on query

10. Database Search engine

11. Database with Search Engine

12. Can't sort result set on query based on calculated values