Monitoring data on a specific local port
Author Message
 Monitoring data on a specific local port

Hi,

I am just familiarizing myself with TCP/IP, and want to create an app that
can listen to a socket on a local port and log the data being transmitted up
and down the wire exactly as it is being transmitted. I thought of using the
Win32API CopyMemory function, but that would just give me a mass of code
that I wouldn't understand, and decoding the various TCP layers is still a
bit beyond me. I read on a couple of postings the following links, but
they're dead, any help that anyone could give me on this would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,

Kris.

This utility by Win-Tech may help you:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

A listing of other tools is available here:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Monitoring data on a specific local port
Kris

I use a product called "SocketTools Visual Edition" from Catalyst to do just
this.  You can download evaluation versions and a freeware version.  I
purchased the full version and am very happy with it.

You can find them at http://www.catalyst.com

HTH
James

Quote:
> Hi,

> I am just familiarizing myself with TCP/IP, and want to create an app that
> can listen to a socket on a local port and log the data being transmitted
up
> and down the wire exactly as it is being transmitted. I thought of using
the
> Win32API CopyMemory function, but that would just give me a mass of code
> that I wouldn't understand, and decoding the various TCP layers is still a
> bit beyond me. I read on a couple of postings the following links, but
> they're dead, any help that anyone could give me on this would be greatly
> appreciated.

> Cheers,

> Kris.

> This utility by Win-Tech may help you:

> http://www.win-tech.com/html/socktspy.htm

> A listing of other tools is available here:

> http://www.sockets.com/devtools.htm

Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. reading data from a local port

2. Get Open Local Ports (what ports are open)

3. Get Open Local Ports (what ports are open)

4. Download files from server to a specific path on user's local harddrive

5. Monitoring Dialup Networking and Getting Local IP

6. Monitor New file Creation in a specific Folder

7. Download files from server to a specific path on user's local harddrive

8. Monitoring CPU cycles for a specific process

9. Printer Port as Output Data Port

10. COM port monitoring....

11. Port And Traffic Monitoring...

12. Monitoring and defining a virtual COM port