Passing structures from C++ app to a VB client app through Network connection using COM
Author Message
 Passing structures from C++ app to a VB client app through Network connection using COM

I have 2 applications that need to pass data to each other through a network
connection. One is in C++ and the other in Visual Basic. I wanted to create
an ATL COM component to package the data from structures in the C++
application and pass it as a parameter in event to the VB app and vice
versa. Ole automation does not allow structures to be passed as parameters.
I want to be able to pass structures created in C++ to a VB app. I thought
of using a COM object. for this. What approach should I take and is there
any documentation? Book? Articles that will help me implement this?

I'll appreciate your help

Lourdes Guerra

Mon, 29 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Passing structures from C++ app to a VB client app through Network connection using COM
Instead of passing a structure you could pass a reference to a class
instance.  The class instance could contain properties that map to your
structure.

Quote:
> I have 2 applications that need to pass data to each other through a
network
> connection. One is in C++ and the other in Visual Basic. I wanted to
create
> an ATL COM component to package the data from structures in the C++
> application and pass it as a parameter in event to the VB app and vice
> versa. Ole automation does not allow structures to be passed as
parameters.
> I want to be able to pass structures created in C++ to a VB app. I thought
> of using a COM object. for this. What approach should I take and is there
> any documentation? Book? Articles that will help me implement this?

> I'll appreciate your help

> Lourdes Guerra

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Passing structures from C++ app to a VB client app through Network connection using COM

Have you looked at SafeArray ?
That might be faster if each part changes
lots of data (marshalling is slow),
but Jason's approach is sound.

HTH

Thomas

Quote:
>Instead of passing a structure you could pass a reference to a class
>instance.  The class instance could contain properties that map to your
>structure.

>> I have 2 applications that need to pass data to each other through a
>network
>> connection. One is in C++ and the other in Visual Basic. I wanted to
>create
>> an ATL COM component to package the data from structures in the C++
>> application and pass it as a parameter in event to the VB app and vice
>> versa. Ole automation does not allow structures to be passed as
>parameters.
>> I want to be able to pass structures created in C++ to a VB app. I
thought
>> of using a COM object. for this. What approach should I take and is there
>> any documentation? Book? Articles that will help me implement this?

>> I'll appreciate your help

>> Lourdes Guerra

Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Passing structures from C++ app to a VB client app through Network connection using COM
Try this for something slick:

    http://www.wddx.org

-K

Quote:
>I have 2 applications that need to pass data to each other through a
network
>connection. One is in C++ and the other in Visual Basic. I wanted to create
>an ATL COM component to package the data from structures in the C++
>application and pass it as a parameter in event to the VB app and vice
>versa. Ole automation does not allow structures to be passed as parameters.
>I want to be able to pass structures created in C++ to a VB app. I thought
>of using a COM object. for this. What approach should I take and is there
>any documentation? Book? Articles that will help me implement this?

>I'll appreciate your help

>Lourdes Guerra

Tue, 11 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Is setup.exe a VB App or a C++ App

2. Hook (Sending Message from a Visual C++ App To a Visual Basic App)

3. Passing user defined structures from VB to C++ DLL

4. Passing structure from C++ to VB

5. Passing Structure Containing Strings From VB to C/C++ DLL and Printer Object

6. Passing an array of structures from VB to a C++ DLL

7. writing client/server apps over a windows network

8. LOCAL APP --> CLIENT SERVER APP

9. Client App wants Server App to start

10. How to turn single pc apps into network app

11. App hang if there is no network connection

12. App hang if there is no network connection