Problems with using the control MSComm for serial port communication
Author Message
 Problems with using the control MSComm for serial port communication

Hello everybody,

I am using VB6 with windows NT 4.0 SP 6. I am trying to use the serial port
to send some informatin to a bar-code printer. When I try to initialise the
port MsComm.OpenPort=true I get the message Error 8015: could not set comm
state; there maybe be one or more invalid communications parameters. I
changed the parameters in all possible ways and it still does not work! The
annoying thing is that copy command_file.txt COM1 from the DOS prompt works.
Any ideas what might be wrong or did anyone have similar problems?

Grzegorz
--
Grzegorz Adamiec
Max-Planck-Institute for Biogeochemistry, Jena, Germany

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:41:50 GMT
 Problems with using the control MSComm for serial port communication
Do you have a printer driver or modem that uses Com1?

Watch for wrapped links...

Seems that the trouble here was a rougue printer driver...
Subject: Serial port dead or just sleeping
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=e8d43e07dcf025b7&seekm=73b4a...
3191530.39e88a8a%40posting.google.com&frame=off

same subject, completely different threads..

Seems that the trouble here was more of a hardware driver configuration
issue.

nz.net_14

--
Ken Halter
MS-MVP-VB

Quote:

> Hello everybody,

> I am using VB6 with windows NT 4.0 SP 6. I am trying to use the
> serial port to send some informatin to a bar-code printer. When I try
> to initialise the port MsComm.OpenPort=true I get the message Error
> 8015: could not set comm state; there maybe be one or more invalid
> communications parameters. I changed the parameters in all possible
> ways and it still does not work! The annoying thing is that copy
> command_file.txt COM1 from the DOS prompt works. Any ideas what might
> be wrong or did anyone have similar problems?

> Grzegorz

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:50:47 GMT
 Problems with using the control MSComm for serial port communication
Thanks a lot. In the first opne I found somehting that might work. (the
second one I could not open)

Cheers
   Grzesiek

Quote:
> Watch for wrapped links...

> Seems that the trouble here was a rougue printer driver...
> Subject: Serial port dead or just sleeping

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=e8d43e07dcf025b7&seekm=73b4a...
Quote:
> 3191530.39e88a8a%40posting.google.com&frame=off

> same subject, completely different threads..

> Seems that the trouble here was more of a hardware driver configuration
> issue.
> Subject: Serial port dead or just sleeping

Quote:
> nz.net_14

> --
> Ken Halter
> MS-MVP-VB
> Please keep it in the groups..

> > Hello everybody,

> > I am using VB6 with windows NT 4.0 SP 6. I am trying to use the
> > serial port to send some informatin to a bar-code printer. When I try
> > to initialise the port MsComm.OpenPort=true I get the message Error
> > 8015: could not set comm state; there maybe be one or more invalid
> > communications parameters. I changed the parameters in all possible
> > ways and it still does not work! The annoying thing is that copy
> > command_file.txt COM1 from the DOS prompt works. Any ideas what might
> > be wrong or did anyone have similar problems?

> > Grzegorz

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:58:41 GMT
 Problems with using the control MSComm for serial port communication

I just did open "COM1" for output as #1 and use the print command and it
works. The only trouble is that you cannot change the serial port settings
in this way - but at least it works...

Grzesiek

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:15:37 GMT

1. VB Communications, MSComm, Serial Ports and Modems...

2. Modem, serial port, MSComm and VB Communications

3. Serial port, MSComm, Modem and VB communication

4. Problems with opening the serial port using MsComm

5. Using serial port without using MSCOMM

6. Serial communication using MSCOMM

7. Regarding MSComm Serial Communication Control version 2.1.0.1 (0/1)

8. Regarding MSComm Serial Communication Control version 2.1.0.1 [rz1.txt] (1/1)

9. Communication with serial ports using Visual Basic...

10. serial port communication under WIN95 using VB

11. MSComm problem with multi-port serial card

12. Serial port MSCOMM printing problems