How to display a form in a form ...
Author Message
 How to display a form in a form ...

Hi all,

I have a form with a tree control on the left side and
want to display on the right sight the details of the
selected node in the treecontrol. Since i have around 30
different types of tree-nodes i need 30 diffenent details
areas each of them with some edit list-boxes buttons etc.

I would like to set up  30 "sub-form" each coded separetly
and "only be loaded" into the "masterform" directly.

Is that possible? feasable? the way a real VB-Programmer
would do it? Does anybody has an example for me, how to
set up such a form and how to display the diffent sub
forms?

Thanks a lot for any advice...

Bernhard

Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:55:59 GMT
 How to display a form in a form ...
There are two issues: 1) how to make it work from the user's point of view,
and 2) how to do it so you don't go crazy trying to work with it in the IDE
(this is quite a serious issue). Options that I've met:

1. Don't do it. Use separate forms. You can position the 'sub-form' at time
of loading relative to the tree form, and leave it at that.

2. Use frames. Have a control array of 30 frames, each containing the
controls for one 'sub-form'. Set the Z-order to bring the required frame to
the front. Works well at run time, but tedious while you're developing.

3. Construct the sub-form on the fly. At design time add a single textbox,
checkbox, listbox, etc (whatever control types you might need) each with an
index of 0. At run time you add and position the controls you need for the
selected node type. Not as tricky as it sounds, and much quicker at run time
than you might expect. Done well, it has the advantage that you can add more
node types later without having to add more code.

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I have a form with a tree control on the left side and
> want to display on the right sight the details of the
> selected node in the treecontrol. Since i have around 30
> different types of tree-nodes i need 30 diffenent details
> areas each of them with some edit list-boxes buttons etc.

> I would like to set up  30 "sub-form" each coded separetly
> and "only be loaded" into the "masterform" directly.

> Is that possible? feasable? the way a real VB-Programmer
> would do it? Does anybody has an example for me, how to
> set up such a form and how to display the diffent sub
> forms?

> Thanks a lot for any advice...

> Bernhard

Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:09:50 GMT
 How to display a form in a form ...
That's not a bad way to go, if you create an MDI style application. You can
place a left-aligned PictureBox control on the MDI form to house your
TreeView control and fill the client area with whichever child form you have
showing at the time. Simply create your child forms with MDIChild set to
True.

HTH,
Rocky

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I have a form with a tree control on the left side and
> want to display on the right sight the details of the
> selected node in the treecontrol. Since i have around 30
> different types of tree-nodes i need 30 diffenent details
> areas each of them with some edit list-boxes buttons etc.

> I would like to set up  30 "sub-form" each coded separetly
> and "only be loaded" into the "masterform" directly.

> Is that possible? feasable? the way a real VB-Programmer
> would do it? Does anybody has an example for me, how to
> set up such a form and how to display the diffent sub
> forms?

> Thanks a lot for any advice...

> Bernhard

Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:18:09 GMT

1. Problem Displaying a form over another form

2. display form while a modal form is displayed

3. Custom form to create and Standard form to display

4. Displaying a window form in another window form

5. maximize child form display multiple tool box controls on main form

6. Display Form / Pic Box on other Form

7. How to have form display above another after clicking off form

8. Display Form from a background form

9. Display part of a form in a form?

10. Developing OLE MDI Child forms displayed on Control MDI Form

11. Displaying a form within another form

12. Cant display forms form control