VB6 Scrollbar control doesn't render in XP with new XP stlyle
Author Message
 VB6 Scrollbar control doesn't render in XP with new XP stlyle

Hi Everybody,
I have a long running VB6 project, and when the compiled application is run
in WinXP, the VB6 Scrollbar is not drawn with the updated look of the new XP
scrollbars.  It looks just like a scrollbar does in previous Windows
versions.  What you end up with is a very mismatched looking screen, with
some scrollbars using the XP color scheme, and some drawn in old battleship
grey.  I have VB6 with SP5.  Does anybody know if there is an updated
scrollbar control, or if Microsoft plans a broad update of it's VB6 custom
controls to address this problem?
Thank You, Jim Foskey

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:54:28 GMT
 VB6 Scrollbar control doesn't render in XP with new XP stlyle
Hi Jim,

I have not tried this myself ('caz I don't have an XP machine!), but I
believe there is a simple way to do this.

If you are OK with subclassing the controls, just subclass the
scrollbar control, and hook WM_PAINT, and in your hooked window proc,
just call DefWindowProc for WM_PAINT. Don't let this message pass to
the original window proc of the scrollbar.

I had used this trick to get VB scrollbars to paint correctly on Win2k
(I used to get white background in scrollbar).

Do let me know if this worked for you.

Warm Regards,
Vikram Lele
Providing Components For Your Software Solutions
http://www.viklele.com

Quote:

> Hi Everybody,
> I have a long running VB6 project, and when the compiled application is run
> in WinXP, the VB6 Scrollbar is not drawn with the updated look of the new XP
> scrollbars.  It looks just like a scrollbar does in previous Windows
> versions.  What you end up with is a very mismatched looking screen, with
> some scrollbars using the XP color scheme, and some drawn in old battleship
> grey.  I have VB6 with SP5.  Does anybody know if there is an updated
> scrollbar control, or if Microsoft plans a broad update of it's VB6 custom
> controls to address this problem?
> Thank You, Jim Foskey

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:33:08 GMT
 VB6 Scrollbar control doesn't render in XP with new XP stlyle
Thanks Vikram, I'll try it out and let you know... -James Foskey

Quote:
> Hi Jim,

> I have not tried this myself ('caz I don't have an XP machine!), but I
> believe there is a simple way to do this.

> If you are OK with subclassing the controls, just subclass the
> scrollbar control, and hook WM_PAINT, and in your hooked window proc,
> just call DefWindowProc for WM_PAINT. Don't let this message pass to
> the original window proc of the scrollbar.

> I had used this trick to get VB scrollbars to paint correctly on Win2k
> (I used to get white background in scrollbar).

> Do let me know if this worked for you.

> Warm Regards,
> Vikram Lele
> Providing Components For Your Software Solutions
> http://www.viklele.com

> > Hi Everybody,
> > I have a long running VB6 project, and when the compiled application is
run
> > in WinXP, the VB6 Scrollbar is not drawn with the updated look of the
new XP
> > scrollbars.  It looks just like a scrollbar does in previous Windows
> > versions.  What you end up with is a very mismatched looking screen,
with
> > some scrollbars using the XP color scheme, and some drawn in old
battleship
> > grey.  I have VB6 with SP5.  Does anybody know if there is an updated
> > scrollbar control, or if Microsoft plans a broad update of it's VB6
custom
> > controls to address this problem?
> > Thank You, Jim Foskey

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:17:19 GMT

1. VB6 Scrollbar control doesn't render in XP with new XP stlyle

2. in WinXP, VB6 Scrollbar control does not render in XP Style

3. VB6 crash on exit (XP), won't hit breakpoint (NT/XP)

4. Windows XP Style Manifest doesn't work on ActiveX Control Projects

5. Application.Filesearch doesn't work in Office XP

6. Debugger doesn't work on Macros for Word in Office XP

7. Outlook XP - Command Bars doesn't run !!!!!!!

8. Doesn't workin XP

9. XP Bug - DocumentBeforeClose doesn't fire for successive docs on App Quit

10. Clipboard Object Doesn't Work in XP

11. HTA doesn't work on XP

12. Testing for valid records doesn't (seem to) work in XP