How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions
Author Message
 How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions

Hi,

Does anyone know how to automatically adjust the dimensions of form controls
when an application is installed on different systems with different screen
resolutions?

Thanks,
Mark.

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:36:13 GMT
 How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions

Quote:
> Hi,

> Does anyone know how to automatically adjust the dimensions of form
controls
> when an application is installed on different systems with different
screen
> resolutions?

There is no automatic way.  You have to code it. There are, however,
controls designed for doing this very thing.  I've yet to find one that does
a decent job of it, though.

Mike

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:30:35 GMT
 How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions

It's royalty free and works super for me. It manages control sizes when
changing manually the size of the form and automatically resizes controls
when screen resolution is changed (I have tested it from 640x480 up to
1024*768).

Best regards,

Michael Prendergast

Quote:

> > Hi,

> > Does anyone know how to automatically adjust the dimensions of form
> controls
> > when an application is installed on different systems with different
> screen
> > resolutions?

> There is no automatic way.  You have to code it. There are, however,
> controls designed for doing this very thing.  I've yet to find one that
does
> a decent job of it, though.

> Mike

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:41:58 GMT
 How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions
In VB.NET ?

Quote:

created.

> It's royalty free and works super for me. It manages control sizes when
> changing manually the size of the form and automatically resizes controls
> when screen resolution is changed (I have tested it from 640x480 up to
> 1024*768).

> Best regards,

> Michael Prendergast

> > > Hi,

> > > Does anyone know how to automatically adjust the dimensions of form
> > controls
> > > when an application is installed on different systems with different
> > screen
> > > resolutions?

> > There is no automatic way.  You have to code it. There are, however,
> > controls designed for doing this very thing.  I've yet to find one that
> does
> > a decent job of it, though.

> > Mike

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 02:56:07 GMT
 How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions
How well does it work for Large Fonts (or custom font sizes)?  How well does
it handle controls in a container control (as opposed to directly on the
form)?

These are the things that I've found most resizing controls don't handle
well.

Mike

Quote:

created.

> It's royalty free and works super for me. It manages control sizes when
> changing manually the size of the form and automatically resizes controls
> when screen resolution is changed (I have tested it from 640x480 up to
> 1024*768).

> Best regards,

> Michael Prendergast

> > > Hi,

> > > Does anyone know how to automatically adjust the dimensions of form
> > controls
> > > when an application is installed on different systems with different
> > screen
> > > resolutions?

> > There is no automatic way.  You have to code it. There are, however,
> > controls designed for doing this very thing.  I've yet to find one that
> does
> > a decent job of it, though.

> > Mike

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 04:41:19 GMT
 How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions
Sorry, I have tested it in Regular VB 6 and Win 2k and Win XP Pro.

For the code, I see no reason it should not work in .NET.

Michael

Quote:
> In VB.NET ?

> created.

> > It's royalty free and works super for me. It manages control sizes when
> > changing manually the size of the form and automatically resizes
controls
> > when screen resolution is changed (I have tested it from 640x480 up to
> > 1024*768).

> > Best regards,

> > Michael Prendergast

> > > controls
> > > screen

> > > There is no automatic way.  You have to code it. There are, however,
> > > controls designed for doing this very thing.  I've yet to find one
that
> > does
> > > a decent job of it, though.

> > > Mike

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:31:17 GMT
 How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions
I think it does not resize fonts, but controls and control containers.

You could easily modify it to scale fonts as needed.

Michael

Quote:
> How well does it work for Large Fonts (or custom font sizes)?  How well
does
> it handle controls in a container control (as opposed to directly on the
> form)?

> These are the things that I've found most resizing controls don't handle
> well.

> Mike

> created.

> > It's royalty free and works super for me. It manages control sizes when
> > changing manually the size of the form and automatically resizes
controls
> > when screen resolution is changed (I have tested it from 640x480 up to
> > 1024*768).

> > Best regards,

> > Michael Prendergast

> > > controls
> > > screen

> > > There is no automatic way.  You have to code it. There are, however,
> > > controls designed for doing this very thing.  I've yet to find one
that
> > does
> > > a decent job of it, though.

> > > Mike

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:32:22 GMT
 How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions
You could also try DataDynamics ActiveSizer.

You can download a demo version at www.datadynamics.com

Michael Prendergast

Quote:
> Hi,

> Does anyone know how to automatically adjust the dimensions of form
controls
> when an application is installed on different systems with different
screen
> resolutions?

> Thanks,
> Mark.

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:35:54 GMT
 How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions
Also, you could try http://vbsquare.com/controls/resize/

I did not try it, but It may worth to.

Michael

Quote:
> Hi,

> Does anyone know how to automatically adjust the dimensions of form
controls
> when an application is installed on different systems with different
screen
> resolutions?

> Thanks,
> Mark.

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:57:53 GMT
 How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions
Thank you for your recommendation, Michael. :)

I saw quite many resizing controls that fully automates resizing.
But those were not that one I wanted. They usually does resizing by ratio
because there is no clue for how to resize each controls.
When a user maximizes the window, I wanted to show "more" information. Not a
"bigger" information.
Think about all MS-windows forms resizing feature.

The only thing I recommend is Splitter control. It makes sense.
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=5...
WId=1
I didn't test it fully though.

You can download my resizing code on here:
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=1...
gWId=1
(There is a bug on this code when you make custom-sized form resized. On
EvtFormUnload, change cFormDesignedWidth to aFormSize(intForm).vntDesWidth,
and cFormDesignedHeight to aFormSize(intForm).vntDesHeight.)

Explanation about how this code works with frames:
Let's say there are controls C1 and C2 inside a frame F1.
C1 is a Grid and C2 is a CommandButton.
If you designate a control C1 to resize its width as much as the parent form
resized, frame F1 will "inherit" that designation.
If you want to designate C1 to resize its width and C2 to move to right(for
example, commandbutton C2 can be located on the right of the grid C1), you
should designate C1 first because F1 will inherit the property that came
first.
If you think it's confusing to order them correctly, you can designate F1's
resizing behavior too.

Quote:
> I think it does not resize fonts, but controls and control containers.

> You could easily modify it to scale fonts as needed.

> Michael

> > How well does it work for Large Fonts (or custom font sizes)?  How well
> does
> > it handle controls in a container control (as opposed to directly on the
> > form)?

> > These are the things that I've found most resizing controls don't handle
> > well.

> > Mike

> > created.

> > > It's royalty free and works super for me. It manages control sizes
when
> > > changing manually the size of the form and automatically resizes
> controls
> > > when screen resolution is changed (I have tested it from 640x480 up to
> > > 1024*768).

> > > Best regards,

> > > Michael Prendergast

> that
> > > does

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:08:00 GMT

1. Adjusting forms / controls for different screen resolutions.

2. Adjusting controls to different screen-resolutions

3. Adjusting controls to different screen-resolutions

4. VB 3.0 help: adjusting control size to screen resolution

5. Adjusting VB for different screen resolutions

6. Sizing controls in different screen resolutions?

7. Resizing controls on forms automatically to suit screen resolutions

8. Dynamic GUI: Programming with VBA for different screen sizes and resolutions

9. VB3 help: adjusting control size to screen definition

10. Userform size on different PCs/different resolutions- yikes!

11. Size Word window for different monitor sizes and resolutions

12. Adjust to screen resolution