RICHTX32.OCX may be outdated.  Make sure you are using the version of the
control that was provided with your application.

This occured after the user downloaded various updates from Microsoft:

#1  Internet Explorer Security Update 9/20/99

#2  Internet Explorer Security Update 10/20/99

It worked before and all of my stuff is supposed to be the most recent that
ships with VB6 service packs.

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Failed to load control - Second Request
Do you have SP3 installed?
Quote:

> Failed to load control 'TabStrip' from MSCOMCTL.OCX.  Your version of
> MSCOMCTL.OCX may be outdated.  Make sure you are using the version of the
> control that was provided with your application.

>         AND

> Failed to load control 'RichTextBox' from RICHTX32.OCX.  Your version of
> RICHTX32.OCX may be outdated.  Make sure you are using the version of the
> control that was provided with your application.

> This occured after the user downloaded various updates from Microsoft:

> #1  Internet Explorer Security Update 9/20/99

> #2  Internet Explorer Security Update 10/20/99

> It worked before and all of my stuff is supposed to be the most recent that
> ships with VB6 service packs.

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Failed to load control - Second Request
Sorry, but you missed some key points in the message...

I said I had the most recent VB6 service packs (and yes, that is SP3).  I
also said the USER was the one with the problem.  The user is about the 3rd
I've encountered where an install of my software wouldn't work because of
these messages.  The knowledgebase doesn't appear to have any answer for it
either.  This instance is different in that my software WORKED until the
user downloaded and applied the two Microsoft IE5 updates mentioned below.

Al

Quote:
> Do you have SP3 installed?

Quote:
> > Failed to load control 'TabStrip' from MSCOMCTL.OCX.  Your version of
> > MSCOMCTL.OCX may be outdated.  Make sure you are using the version of
the
> > control that was provided with your application.

> >         AND

> > Failed to load control 'RichTextBox' from RICHTX32.OCX.  Your version of
> > RICHTX32.OCX may be outdated.  Make sure you are using the version of
the
> > control that was provided with your application.

> > This occured after the user downloaded various updates from Microsoft:

> > #1  Internet Explorer Security Update 9/20/99

> > #2  Internet Explorer Security Update 10/20/99

> > It worked before and all of my stuff is supposed to be the most recent
that
> > ships with VB6 service packs.

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Failed to load control - Second Request
The 'Key' points weren't made noticable enough.... That's why it's good to state VB version / SP info at the beginning of the
message. I use VB6 at home and I can GUARANTEE that it's kept up to date. As well as my IE5 and I've never seen those messages. How
about your IE5 installation? Is it up to date? There are (were) articles on ZDNet that stated problems for users running IE5 and VB
programs built with machines running IE4.... The same thing goes for VB5 built programs that use commondialog.ocx... If the user
installs something that updates the ocx to version 6, the developer will need to rebuild the project using the new before the user
will ever be able to use it.

Bottom line.... You built your project using older components than is currently available. If you don't wish to send out some type
of service pack, you will need to state in your documentation that your software is incompatible with IE5.

Quote:

> Sorry, but you missed some key points in the message...

> I said I had the most recent VB6 service packs (and yes, that is SP3).  I
> also said the USER was the one with the problem.  The user is about the 3rd
> I've encountered where an install of my software wouldn't work because of
> these messages.  The knowledgebase doesn't appear to have any answer for it
> either.  This instance is different in that my software WORKED until the
> user downloaded and applied the two Microsoft IE5 updates mentioned below.

> Al

> > Do you have SP3 installed?

> > > Failed to load control 'TabStrip' from MSCOMCTL.OCX.  Your version of
> > > MSCOMCTL.OCX may be outdated.  Make sure you are using the version of
> the
> > > control that was provided with your application.

> > >         AND

> > > Failed to load control 'RichTextBox' from RICHTX32.OCX.  Your version of
> > > RICHTX32.OCX may be outdated.  Make sure you are using the version of
> the
> > > control that was provided with your application.

> > > This occured after the user downloaded various updates from Microsoft:

> > > #1  Internet Explorer Security Update 9/20/99

> > > #2  Internet Explorer Security Update 10/20/99

> > > It worked before and all of my stuff is supposed to be the most recent
> that
> > > ships with VB6 service packs.

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Failed to load control - Second Request
Quote:
>>> Bottom line.... You built your project using older components than is

currently available. If you don't wish to send out some type
Quote:
> of service pack, you will need to state in your documentation that your

software is incompatible with IE5.

Wrong bottom line.  I constantly insure that my BUILD machine is 100% up to
date with all service packs for Windows, Office, IE, VB, and any custom
controls.  It's the message the user is getting that is {*filter*}ed up.  A
point of fact is that I also duplicated what the user did which is download
those two security updates but with no problems with installed apps
afterwards.

As I said in the earlier message.  I've seen this with the common controls 2
or 3 times.  This was just the first instance where a working install went
south after some sort of traceable event.  Reinstalling my app does not help
his situation and I'm including everything that is legal for me to
distribute in my installation.  I might add that this app gets installed
about a 100 times a day around the world on different configurations and
this error has come up about 3 times over the last 6 months.  It's a DLL
Hell issue strickly on this user's PC and futhur up the food chain than is
listed in the various dependency files.

Since I've seen this two or three times, I was hoping someone else had and
found a workaround to get the user operational.

Quote:
> The 'Key' points weren't made noticable enough.... That's why it's good to

state VB version / SP info at the beginning of the
Quote:
> message. I use VB6 at home and I can GUARANTEE that it's kept up to date.

As well as my IE5 and I've never seen those messages. How
Quote:
> about your IE5 installation? Is it up to date? There are (were) articles

on ZDNet that stated problems for users running IE5 and VB
Quote:
> programs built with machines running IE4.... The same thing goes for VB5

built programs that use commondialog.ocx... If the user
Quote:
> installs something that updates the ocx to version 6, the developer will

need to rebuild the project using the new before the user
Quote:
> will ever be able to use it.

> Bottom line.... You built your project using older components than is

currently available. If you don't wish to send out some type
Quote:
> of service pack, you will need to state in your documentation that your

software is incompatible with IE5.

> > Sorry, but you missed some key points in the message...

> > I said I had the most recent VB6 service packs (and yes, that is SP3).
> > also said the USER was the one with the problem.  The user is about the
3rd
> > I've encountered where an install of my software wouldn't work because
of
> > these messages.  The knowledgebase doesn't appear to have any answer for
it
> > either.  This instance is different in that my software WORKED until the
> > user downloaded and applied the two Microsoft IE5 updates mentioned
below.

> > Al

> > > Do you have SP3 installed?

> > the

> > the

Microsoft:

> > that

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Failed to load control - Second Request
I can easily see that you're frustrated.... My sharp reply was a direct result of your sharp reply.....
Hopefully, someone will step in and answer as it's beyond me. My very LAST suggestion is....
Check the Project Properties and make sure that the 'Upgrade ActiveX Controls' check box is indeed checked.
Quote:

> currently available. If you don't wish to send out some type
> > of service pack, you will need to state in your documentation that your
> software is incompatible with IE5.

> Wrong bottom line.  I constantly insure that my BUILD machine is 100% up to
> date with all service packs for Windows, Office, IE, VB, and any custom
> controls.  It's the message the user is getting that is {*filter*}ed up.  A
> point of fact is that I also duplicated what the user did which is download
> those two security updates but with no problems with installed apps
> afterwards.

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Failed to load control - Second Request
Ken, please excuse my sharp replies.  I'm not like that face to face or even
over the phone.  I say what I want to say and things that sound like normal
conversation when I type them often say different things when they are read
by others.

You are very much correct that I am frustrated by these events in that 3 or
4 of my customers/potential customers out of thousands who try can't get my
product to run.  That's not how I make my living.

Al

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Failed to load control - Second Request
A thought...

Have you checked to make sure that you do not have more than one copy of
either of these files on your (build) machine inappropriately?  I'd check
the reference to make sure it's pointing to the same ones that your registry
thinks are current.

Casey Rousseau

Quote:

>Failed to load control 'TabStrip' from MSCOMCTL.OCX.  Your version of
>MSCOMCTL.OCX may be outdated.  Make sure you are using the version of the
>control that was provided with your application.

>        AND

>Failed to load control 'RichTextBox' from RICHTX32.OCX.  Your version of
>RICHTX32.OCX may be outdated.  Make sure you are using the version of the
>control that was provided with your application.

Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. CursorType - Fail (Second request) Please help

2. Failed to load control ImageList

3. Failed to Load Control ""

4. Fail to load control

5. fail to load control

6. Failed to load control

7. Failed to load control...

8. Failed to load control

9. Runtime erroe 372 - Failed to load control

10. Failed to load control

11. Embedded ActiveX control fails to load

12. MediaPlayer in Webbrowser Control Fails to Load Video