cannot copy comdlg32 to system32
Author Message
 cannot copy comdlg32 to system32

Dear all,

When I try to install my release package to Windows NT Terminal Server.
Some dll (MS Common Dialog, comdlg32.dll)  files cannot copy to
<winnt>/system32 directory because the file is accessing by other
program. (I guess the OS)

I tried to unregister the dll by Regsvr32.exe, but I got following error
msg.
"Dllname was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer or DllUnregisterServer
entry point was not found"

How can I update those dll by the setup program?

My application is developed by VB6 (SP4). The release package is created
by VB Package and Deployment Wizard.

Thank you very much !

Regards,
Danny Tang

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:50:43 GMT
 cannot copy comdlg32 to system32
Danny,

Quote:
>How can I update those dll by the setup program?

Why do you want to update that file anyway? Comdlg32.dll is a system
file, and I don't think it's a good idea to include it in your setup.

Mattias

====================================

http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/

CodeHound - The Software Developer's Search Engine
http://www.codehound.com

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:15:41 GMT
 cannot copy comdlg32 to system32
Not only is it not a good idea, I believe it's illegal.

Mike

Quote:
> Danny,

> >How can I update those dll by the setup program?

> Why do you want to update that file anyway? Comdlg32.dll is a system
> file, and I don't think it's a good idea to include it in your setup.

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:00:04 GMT
 cannot copy comdlg32 to system32
ComDlg32.dll should not be included? The Package & Deployment Wizard
recommends it, as do the setup programs I've tried. I've always included it.
What is your reasoning/source?

--
Signet
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Every action results in an equal and opposite criticism."

Quote:
> Not only is it not a good idea, I believe it's illegal.

> Mike

> > Danny,

> > >How can I update those dll by the setup program?

> > Why do you want to update that file anyway? Comdlg32.dll is a system
> > file, and I don't think it's a good idea to include it in your setup.

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:37:07 GMT
 cannot copy comdlg32 to system32

Yes, the files is recommended to include by the Package and Deployment Wizard.
As the target machine have different version with mine, how can I overcome this
problem?

Regards,
Danny Tang

Quote:

> ComDlg32.dll should not be included? The Package & Deployment Wizard
> recommends it, as do the setup programs I've tried. I've always included it.
> What is your reasoning/source?

> --
> Signet
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> "Every action results in an equal and opposite criticism."

> > Not only is it not a good idea, I believe it's illegal.

> > Mike

> > > Danny,

> > > Why do you want to update that file anyway? Comdlg32.dll is a system
> > > file, and I don't think it's a good idea to include it in your setup.

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:21:34 GMT
 cannot copy comdlg32 to system32
Well, /that/ part needs to be handled by your installation program.
Normally, you never install an older version over a newer one. The P&D
wizard should take care of this.

--
Signet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Quote:

> Yes, the files is recommended to include by the Package and Deployment
Wizard.
> As the target machine have different version with mine, how can I overcome
this
> problem?

> Regards,
> Danny Tang

> > ComDlg32.dll should not be included? The Package & Deployment Wizard
> > recommends it, as do the setup programs I've tried. I've always included
it.
> > What is your reasoning/source?

> > --
> > Signet
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> > "Every action results in an equal and opposite criticism."

> > > Not only is it not a good idea, I believe it's illegal.

> > > Mike

setup.

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:07:45 GMT
 cannot copy comdlg32 to system32
Well, for just one reason, comdlg32.dll is ALWAYS loaded by
Windows....therefore, the ONLY way it could be replaced by VB's Setup
ToolKit is if Setup.exe does it (because it will require a reboot to replace
it and Setup1.exe does not support that) and comdlg32.dll is never included
in the bootstrap section of setup.lst.

Second, it's a system file.....it's very, very rare that you should EVER
replace a system file.

Third (and this is more an observation), PDW, nor any other installation
program I've tried, has EVER recommended distributing comdlg32.dll.  Also, I
vaguely remember reading a KB article regarding the redistribution of
comdlg32.dll. I don't recall specifics, but I do believe you had to obtain a
package from MS which installed it....sort of like what you do with MDAC.

In all fairness, I should also point out that it's been years since I've use
the Common Dialog control, but in looking at the .dep file, I can see no
reference to comdlg32.dll.

Mike

Quote:
> ComDlg32.dll should not be included? The Package & Deployment Wizard
> recommends it, as do the setup programs I've tried. I've always included
it.
> What is your reasoning/source?

> --
> Signet
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> "Every action results in an equal and opposite criticism."

> > Not only is it not a good idea, I believe it's illegal.

> > Mike

> > > Danny,

> > > Why do you want to update that file anyway? Comdlg32.dll is a system
> > > file, and I don't think it's a good idea to include it in your setup.

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:01:39 GMT
 cannot copy comdlg32 to system32
comdlg32.dll is a windows system file that is not redistributable, as well
as having its own external dependencies on other libraries. The PDW is
wrong, and this file should be removed from the list of files in the package
when that option is presented. The only way to provide new common dialog dll
is to upgrade windows, install a service pack, install a newer version of
IE, or for a couple of specific versions, install the common dialog upgrade
that used to be available from ms (it still may be), and is available from
the vbnet downloads section below.

You can't update the file on the target OS because that is a core windows
file that loads when windows starts.

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/

: ComDlg32.dll should not be included? The Package & Deployment Wizard
: recommends it, as do the setup programs I've tried. I've always included
it.
: What is your reasoning/source?
:
: --
: Signet
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

: "Every action results in an equal and opposite criticism."
:

: > Not only is it not a good idea, I believe it's illegal.
: >
: > Mike
: >

: > > Danny,
: > >
: > > >How can I update those dll by the setup program?
: > >
: > > Why do you want to update that file anyway? Comdlg32.dll is a system
: > > file, and I don't think it's a good idea to include it in your setup.
: > >
: >
: >
: >
:
:
:

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:38:31 GMT
 cannot copy comdlg32 to system32

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 cannot copy comdlg32 to system32
Randy,
I have a large vb5 project that I am moving to a replacement new laptop with Win
2000 Professional.   After discovering how the ocx and oca and dll files all
have to go in WINNT\System32 instead of Windows\system.  Using the OLE viewer
tool, the version of comdlg32 that is in the project code listing shows up in
the extended list in the viewer but when trying to load my project in the new
laptop,  it reports that it cannot load that control.  Should I just comment out
the comdlg32 line in the project code listing and add the control after loading
up my project?   What would you suggest as the best way to move this VB5 project
from Win98SE to Win2000 Professional ?

Thanks and regards,
Thomas

Quote:

> comdlg32.dll is a windows system file that is not redistributable, as well
> as having its own external dependencies on other libraries. The PDW is
> wrong, and this file should be removed from the list of files in the package
> when that option is presented. The only way to provide new common dialog dll
> is to upgrade windows, install a service pack, install a newer version of
> IE, or for a couple of specific versions, install the common dialog upgrade
> that used to be available from ms (it still may be), and is available from
> the vbnet downloads section below.

> You can't update the file on the target OS because that is a core windows
> file that loads when windows starts.

> --

> Randy Birch
> MVP Visual Basic

> http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/

> Please respond only to the newsgroups so all can benefit.

> : ComDlg32.dll should not be included? The Package & Deployment Wizard
> : recommends it, as do the setup programs I've tried. I've always included
> it.
> : What is your reasoning/source?
> :
> : --
> : Signet
> : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> : "Every action results in an equal and opposite criticism."
> :

> : > Not only is it not a good idea, I believe it's illegal.
> : >
> : > Mike
> : >

> : > > Danny,
> : > >
> : > > >How can I update those dll by the setup program?
> : > >
> : > > Why do you want to update that file anyway? Comdlg32.dll is a system
> : > > file, and I don't think it's a good idea to include it in your setup.
> : > >
> : >
> : >
> : >
> :
> :
> :

Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:22:26 GMT

1. copy files to c:\winnt\system32

2. pdb cannot be copied to run directory?

3. Cannot copy MSHFlexGrid row to clipboard

4. Cannot copy from Unix NFS Drive

5. Cannot copy file from NFS Drive

6. Cannot copy setup1.exe error in setupkit

7. SetWiz: error-cannot copy file ..

8. VB3 SetupWiz - cannot copy ddeml.dl_ ?

9. Finding the System or System32 folder...

10. Role of System32 folder

11. DLLs NOT in the system32-directory

12. System32 folder