Directly spawning UNIX scripts in VB5
Author Message
 Directly spawning UNIX scripts in VB5

I have an app which I created in VB5 that FTPs a data file to a secure UNIX
server.  I use the INET control included in Service Pack 3 requesting
username and password from user.

The next step is to run a shell script on the server.  This can be done by
logging onto the server with a telnet client, but I would like to be able
to spawn this process from VB.

(The username/password used in the FTP session is sufficient for the telnet
session to run the script.)

BTW, I have not explored RPC.  If this is the way to go, please advise as
well.

Is there a way to run this script from a VB program?

Any help is appreciated.  Please!!!!

Bill Martin
Toronto, Ontario

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Directly spawning UNIX scripts in VB5

Quote:
> I have an app which I created in VB5 that FTPs a data file to a secure UNIX
> server.  I use the INET control included in Service Pack 3 requesting
> username and password from user.

> The next step is to run a shell script on the server.  This can be done by
> logging onto the server with a telnet client, but I would like to be able
> to spawn this process from VB.

> (The username/password used in the FTP session is sufficient for the telnet
> session to run the script.)

> BTW, I have not explored RPC.  If this is the way to go, please advise as
> well.

> Is there a way to run this script from a VB program?

> Any help is appreciated.  Please!!!!

Messy, but this might work.  Have you tried using AppActivate to bring the
telnet client to the foreground and then a SendKeys string to activate the
script?
Ted

http://www.teleport.com/~seebert

Click here for your official 1998 IDIC how to be an anarchist spoof:
http://www.teleport.com/~seebert/howto.html

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Directly spawning UNIX scripts in VB5

Quote:

> I have an app which I created in VB5 that FTPs a data file to a secure UNIX
> server.  I use the INET control included in Service Pack 3 requesting
> username and password from user.

> The next step is to run a shell script on the server.  This can be done by
> logging onto the server with a telnet client, but I would like to be able
> to spawn this process from VB.

> (The username/password used in the FTP session is sufficient for the telnet
> session to run the script.)

> BTW, I have not explored RPC.  If this is the way to go, please advise as
> well.

> Is there a way to run this script from a VB program?

> Any help is appreciated.  Please!!!!

> Bill Martin
> Toronto, Ontario

Hi,
I had that problem about a year ago.
Telnet application is pretty useless for running from VB.
The best way for you is to buy some 3rd party product.
I can recomend the IP*Works Internet kit, it has a telnet control, and some
control for UNIX, I didn't really used it, just the Telnet.
It's  :www.devsoft.com (or dev-soft I don't remember) - You can download the
evaluation of the kit.

Take care.
Vlad A.

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Directly spawning UNIX scripts in VB5
You can use my VB telnet source code - download it from

http://www.fastlane.net/~storrs/video/telnet.zip

/Ian

http://www.fastlane.net/~storrs/

Quote:

>> I have an app which I created in VB5 that FTPs a data file to a secure
UNIX
>> server.  I use the INET control included in Service Pack 3 requesting
>> username and password from user.

>> The next step is to run a shell script on the server.  This can be done
by
>> logging onto the server with a telnet client, but I would like to be able
>> to spawn this process from VB.

>> (The username/password used in the FTP session is sufficient for the
telnet
>> session to run the script.)

>> BTW, I have not explored RPC.  If this is the way to go, please advise as
>> well.

>> Is there a way to run this script from a VB program?

>> Any help is appreciated.  Please!!!!

>> Bill Martin
>> Toronto, Ontario

>Hi,
>I had that problem about a year ago.
>Telnet application is pretty useless for running from VB.
>The best way for you is to buy some 3rd party product.
>I can recomend the IP*Works Internet kit, it has a telnet control, and some
>control for UNIX, I didn't really used it, just the Telnet.
>It's  :www.devsoft.com (or dev-soft I don't remember) - You can download
the
>evaluation of the kit.

>Take care.
>Vlad A.

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Directly spawning UNIX scripts in VB5
Another approach is to use the windows API
Start Telnet (ala Theodore Seeber) , get the hWnd of the Window and then use
the API function SendMessage (or PostMesage)

Quote:
>I have an app which I created in VB5 that FTPs a data file to a secure UNIX
>server.  I use the INET control included in Service Pack 3 requesting
>username and password from user.

>The next step is to run a shell script on the server.  This can be done by
>logging onto the server with a telnet client, but I would like to be able
>to spawn this process from VB.

>(The username/password used in the FTP session is sufficient for the telnet
>session to run the script.)

>BTW, I have not explored RPC.  If this is the way to go, please advise as
>well.

>Is there a way to run this script from a VB program?

>Any help is appreciated.  Please!!!!

>Bill Martin
>Toronto, Ontario

Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Sending command directly to UNIX via Visual Basic.

2. Transferring values of variables serverside to client side script (directly)

3. VB6: How can I edit packaging script directly?

4. Kick off unix script from access

5. Running script on Unix

6. Running a Unix Korn shell script

7. Execute a KSH script on Unix From VB

8. Running UNIX scripts from VB

9. scripting for unix servers

10. background script and process ID like in UNIX

11. Need Advice on Moving UNIX script to Windows

12. Client Side Scripting and Apache/Unix server HELP!