Performance: Compiled Classes as DLL vs Classes in Application Code 
Author Message
 Performance: Compiled Classes as DLL vs Classes in Application Code

We have a questions concerning performance of class methods and properties.

Q:  Are classes that are defined within a specific application slower than
if those same classes
      were compiled into a DLL and then referenced?

Any and all help is appreciated..

SLN



Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Performance: Compiled Classes as DLL vs Classes in Application Code

Since a DLL shares the same process space as the app that loads it, a DLL is
faster than manipulating objects in another executable. However, the
comparison you are asking for seems out of context. Assuming the class in
question is not part of some common framework, why would I want to load an
external DLL when I could have access to that class from directly within my
own application?

--
http://www.acadx.com

All use of the contents of this article is subject to the
terms and conditions at http://www.acadx.com/csc.htm


Quote:
> We have a questions concerning performance of class methods and
properties.

> Q:  Are classes that are defined within a specific application slower than
> if those same classes
>       were compiled into a DLL and then referenced?

> Any and all help is appreciated..

> SLN



Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Performance: Compiled Classes as DLL vs Classes in Application Code
This does not answer the question.

Will a class compiled into a DLL perform faster
than class code included in  the application?

sln


Quote:
> Since a DLL shares the same process space as the app that loads it, a DLL
is
> faster than manipulating objects in another executable. However, the
> comparison you are asking for seems out of context. Assuming the class in
> question is not part of some common framework, why would I want to load an
> external DLL when I could have access to that class from directly within
my
> own application?

> --
> http://www.acadx.com

> All use of the contents of this article is subject to the
> terms and conditions at http://www.acadx.com/csc.htm



> > We have a questions concerning performance of class methods and
> properties.

> > Q:  Are classes that are defined within a specific application slower
than
> > if those same classes
> >       were compiled into a DLL and then referenced?

> > Any and all help is appreciated..

> > SLN



Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Performance: Compiled Classes as DLL vs Classes in Application Code
No, classes that are defined within an application are faster because when
an object is instantiated there is no call into the COM runtime/library
(ole32.dll).  However, other factors such as scalibility and maintainability
will make it more beneficial to define classes in their own DLL.


Quote:
> We have a questions concerning performance of class methods and
properties.

> Q:  Are classes that are defined within a specific application slower than
> if those same classes
>       were compiled into a DLL and then referenced?

> Any and all help is appreciated..

> SLN



Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Performance: Compiled Classes as DLL vs Classes in Application Code
Are there any metrics on the performance hit using the dll method over the
defining the class within the app?  Also are there any MS articles which
discuss this?


Quote:
> No, classes that are defined within an application are faster because when
> an object is instantiated there is no call into the COM runtime/library
> (ole32.dll).  However, other factors such as scalibility and
maintainability
> will make it more beneficial to define classes in their own DLL.



> > We have a questions concerning performance of class methods and
> properties.

> > Q:  Are classes that are defined within a specific application slower
than
> > if those same classes
> >       were compiled into a DLL and then referenced?

> > Any and all help is appreciated..

> > SLN



Sun, 11 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Performance: Compiled Classes as DLL vs Classes in Application Code

I have not read any performance data on this.  But I will venture a guess
that the difference in performance is negligibly small.  Having said that,
someone will have some application where it may make a difference.


Quote:
> Are there any metrics on the performance hit using the dll method over the
> defining the class within the app?  Also are there any MS articles which
> discuss this?



Sun, 11 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Performance: Compiled Classes as DLL vs Classes in Application Code
The performance difference could be non-trivial.

COM gets bad mouthed a lot due to it's overhead and performance problems
associated with instantiation.

Placing a class in the project will perform better.  If you want metrics,
you can try looking in Ted Pattison's book on the subject.

--
Cheers,

Greg Jackson MCSD, MCT
Sr. Software Engineer
STEP Technology
PDX, OR
http://www.steptech.com

Quote:
> I have not read any performance data on this.  But I will venture a guess
> that the difference in performance is negligibly small.  Having said that,
> someone will have some application where it may make a difference.



> > Are there any metrics on the performance hit using the dll method over
the
> > defining the class within the app?  Also are there any MS articles which
> > discuss this?



Sun, 11 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Performance: Compiled Classes as DLL vs Classes in Application Code

2. Performance: Compiled Classes as DLL vs Classes in Application Code

3. Structure vs Class - Performance Gain?

4. Class Libraries vs. Classes

5. class name not found after compiling DLL

6. Have a class compile into a separate dll?

7. Compiling simple functions, not classes, in dlls

8. How to call one VB class module method from another class in an ActiveX dll

9. Dim obj As New Class crt Dim Obj As Class = New Class

10. derive class from protected class in base class

11. Q: Code Module vs UserControl (Form, Class) module.

12. Q: Code Module vs UserControl (Form, Class) module.

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software