View text received on serial port
Author Message
 View text received on serial port

             Hi,

  I'm writing a program that automates data collection from a remote scale.
The remote scale
sends it data to the PC's serial port, which I have been able to capture and
display in a
Text Box control. My problem is the incoming data is appended to the end of
the Text Box
display space. You have to use the vertical scroll bar to view the last line
of text.

   My question is. Is there a control or another way to use the Text Box
control to view my
incoming data in a "last in, currently displayed" format?

  Thank you for your assistance and guidance

    Doug

--

Remove the two "X's" to reply via email

Tue, 09 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 View text received on serial port
Boskoe,

Text1.SelStart = Len(Text1.Text)

Regards,
Clint

Quote:
>              Hi,

>   I'm writing a program that automates data collection from a remote
scale.
> The remote scale
> sends it data to the PC's serial port, which I have been able to capture
and
> display in a
> Text Box control. My problem is the incoming data is appended to the end
of
> the Text Box
> display space. You have to use the vertical scroll bar to view the last
line
> of text.

>    My question is. Is there a control or another way to use the Text Box
> control to view my
> incoming data in a "last in, currently displayed" format?

>   Thank you for your assistance and guidance

>     Doug

> --

> Remove the two "X's" to reply via email

Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 View text received on serial port
To replace text in a textbox in a VB program you set the text property
as in:

Text1.Text = MyString$

The above line should replace any text in the texbox with the new
text.

You can clear out a textbox first by using something like

Text1.Text=""

Or you can use:
Text1.SelStart=0
Text1.SelLength=Len(Text1.Text)
Text1.SelText=""

There are probably a half a dozen other ways to clear out a text box
before writing to it as well.

You may be interested in a program called the Software Wedge which is
designed to interface serial data collection devices including scales
to a PC. Visit www.taltech.com for more information.

Quote:
>             Hi,

>  I'm writing a program that automates data collection from a remote scale.
>The remote scale
>sends it data to the PC's serial port, which I have been able to capture and
>display in a
>Text Box control. My problem is the incoming data is appended to the end of
>the Text Box
>display space. You have to use the vertical scroll bar to view the last line
>of text.

>   My question is. Is there a control or another way to use the Text Box
>control to view my
>incoming data in a "last in, currently displayed" format?

>  Thank you for your assistance and guidance

>    Doug

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Receiving from serial port in qb4.5

2. Receiving ASCII Values Through Serial Port

3. Receiving binary data from a serial port

4. mscomm - send/receive from serial port

5. Serial port receive format?

6. Receive data thru the serial port.

7. How to loop comm port control to read text files through serial port in VB3

8. Sendind and Receiving data from a serial port in Visual Basic

9. Processing of texts received by serial & Winsock

10. I/O port, Parallel port, Serial port

11. Send text to serial port

12. Need help on reading text in serial port