Professor seeks advice on VB 5.0 vs. 6.0
Author Message
 Professor seeks advice on VB 5.0 vs. 6.0

Quote:

>Hello...

>I'm teaching an Intro to VB class this fall using VB 5.0.  The inevitable
>question students will ask the first day:  "Can I buy 6.0 and use it for this
>class".

>I haven't seen 6.0 yet, so I'm not sure how to answer that.  Can anyone advise
>me on whether the look and feel of the interface is similar enough to 5.0 so
>that students will not get confused?  The topics we cover in class are fairly
>elementary, so I'm not worried about language component compability.

    VB6 looks the same as VB5.
    VB6 has ADO as default databaselayer, VB5 goes for DAO.
    VB6 has more default controls, VB5 doesnt
    VB6 supports Userdefined types as returntype of public functions, VB5 doesn't

    you can advise to use VB6, it's a successor to VB5, the interface looks the same,
    users with urge to read manuals will probably ask you questions about stuff concerning
    user defined types, but that's mostly it.

    VB6 has also way more options to create activeX controls for sites, and activeX objects
    for transaction server. If you stick with the material for VB5, everyone can deal with that
    in VB6.

    good luck,

        Frans Bouma
        MS Betatester

Thu, 15 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Professor seeks advice on VB 5.0 vs. 6.0
One other area you might need to be careful of is having a student
turn in a project with VB6 controls on it. Will have a mix of projects
written in VB5 and VB6 on a PC with VB5 cause problems? I have not
tried it but would welcome any experience. I have one system with VB6
(beta) and one with VB5. I have been careful not to mix software or
installs because I did not want to have .DLL files or .OCX files get
out of sync.

Anyone else have inputs or experiences on mixed environments?

John G.

|>Hello...
|>
|>I'm teaching an Intro to VB class this fall using VB 5.0.  The
inevitable
|>question students will ask the first day:  "Can I buy 6.0 and use it
for this
|>class".
|>
|>I haven't seen 6.0 yet, so I'm not sure how to answer that.  Can
anyone advise
|>me on whether the look and feel of the interface is similar enough
to 5.0 so
|>that students will not get confused?  The topics we cover in class
are fairly
|>elementary, so I'm not worried about language component compability.
|
|    VB6 looks the same as VB5.
|    VB6 has ADO as default databaselayer, VB5 goes for DAO.
|    VB6 has more default controls, VB5 doesnt
|    VB6 supports Userdefined types as returntype of public functions,
VB5 doesn't

|    you can advise to use VB6, it's a successor to VB5, the interface
looks the same,
|    users with urge to read manuals will probably ask you questions
about stuff concerning
|    user defined types, but that's mostly it.
|
|    VB6 has also way more options to create activeX controls for
sites, and activeX objects
|    for transaction server. If you stick with the material for VB5,
everyone can deal with that
|    in VB6.
|

|    good luck,
|
|        Frans Bouma
|        MS Betatester

Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Professor seeks advice on 5.0 vs. 6.0

2. Professor seeks advice on 5.0 vs. 6.0

3. Professor seeks advice on 5.0 vs. 6.0

4. Seeking Advice Learning VB vs C#

5. asp.dll - VB 5.0 vs. VB 6.0

6. VB 5.0 vs. VB 6.0 - ASP.DLL

7. Professor needs advice on DHTML relative to Netscape....

8. VB 5.0 Professional Edition Vs. VB 5.0 Enterprise Edition

9. VB 6.0 reports vs. Crystal 6.0

10. VB 6.0 reports vs. Crystal 6.0

11. VB 6.0 with VS 6.0 and Access 2000

12. VB 6.0 with VS 6.0 and Access 2000